Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

Got a weird problem that came out of nowhere. When turning on the rear wipers the cluster turns off then back on and the wipers bounce slowly through a whole cycle like the power to them is rapidly being turned on and off. Also when trying to use the front washer the rear wipers come on and do the same thing, and the washer pump doesn't come on. The front wipers were also acting up as they wouldn't turn on except at the highest setting and even then they were at their slowly. I since replaced the whole wiper switch and got the same result, although after some poking around the front wipers are now working normally.
Today I disconnected the washer pump motor and the rear wipers didnt come on as before. Then i pulled fuse 16 for the rear wipers and they still came on! This time they seemed to move much more normally than before, although the cluster still shuts off then back on. The radio/accessory outlet also will stutter while the cluster is turning on and off. Also the rear wipers wouldn't shut off until I put the fuse back in.
With this really weird issue, I'm kind of thinking it's the TIPM, although it's not having any other issues. Anything else I can try short of the TIPM?

·
Registered
874 Posts
My guess would be the left multi-function (headlight/turn signal) switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone? Are TIPM symptoms usually random things operating by themselves? My issues only come on when trying to operate wipers/ washer pump. Does anyone know which plug on the TIPM comes from the wiper/ washer control? Maybe a bad wire or two there?

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
The input from the switches goes through the Steering Control Module down the LIN bus to the cluster which sends messages down the CAN bus to the TIPM.

Frankly, it may be easier, faster and more productive to have an electrical diagnostic done with a scanner at a qualified shop as opposed to guessing and throwing parts at it.

As the service manual states:

Since you've already replaced the left multi-function switch/SCM, you can try checking to see if power to the cluster at fuse 14 and/or TIPM C7 15 & 16 drops out then back on when the wiper motor turns on, causing the cluster to reset. If it doesn't I'd suspect the cluster is the problem, but again it's just a guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the schematics. I’m curious why you suspect the cluster. Does it actually control anything?
I’m still leaning toward the TIPM but now I realize I may have not reset it properly. I did not put the battery terminals together to discharge the capacitors when I disconnected the battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
I’m curious why you suspect the cluster. Does it actually control anything?
Yes, the cluster (A.K.A. Cab Compartment Node or CCN) is the master node for the LIN bus and the interface between the LIN and CAN buses.
The cluster is what tells the TIPM (via the CAN bus) to turn the wipers, washers, lights, turn signals, etc. on and off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts