Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jeep patriot 2008 2.4 4wd CVT transmission is having problems. My Jeep is over 200k miles. It’s started having problems with transmission or torque converter. It’s gos in gear just fine. I just have no power in drive or reverse. Just to even move my RPI’s go all the way up to 2. I veryly even have power. Fluid is good, no burnt smell and no metal shavings. What could be the problem???

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
First, congrats on the 200k!

If that's the original transmission, and if the fluid is clean and at a good level, and both filters have been changed recently, then it may be the case that it's just wore out.

Over time the valves / valve bores (in particular the pump flow control valve) will score and cause pressure drops resulting in limp mode.

You could try getting a good scanner and see what codes are being thrown, or if you have a bluetooth adapter and an android device you could try downloading a copy of CVTz50 CVTz50 - CVT diagnostics with ELM327 and compare the pressure readings to the following:

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it’s a newer transmission. Replaced the old one around little over 180k miles on it. I wanted to see if there were metal shavings in my pan but there was none. Fluid looked good, smelled good. Filter wasn’t too bad either. I changed the fluid both filters. Ran it through its gears. Tried driving it after all that still has no power in drive or reverse. Won’t get moving until I get the rpm’s up to 2 or higher. And even when it go’s I can’t go faster then 20-25.

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
Ok, so the transmission was replaced around 20k miles ago?

If the replacement was new / re-man'd, hopefully it's still under warranty. If it was a salvage transmission from another vehicle, it may have had issues to begin with.

If you had a shop install it I'd get in touch with them and see what they can do to help.

Otherwise, I'd get a good scanner that can read make and model specific codes and see what the system thinks is going on.

· Registered
381 Posts
It kind of sounds like it's in limp mode without throwing a check engine light. Perhaps after checking codes like Sandstone suggests, you could try resetting the computer by leaving the battery unplugged for an hour.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a Jeep patriot 2008 2.4 4wd CVT transmission is having problems. My Jeep is over 200k miles. It’s started having problems with transmission or torque converter. It’s gos in gear just fine. I just have no power in drive or reverse. Just to even move my RPI’s go all the way up to 2. I veryly even have power. Fluid is good, no burnt smell and no metal shavings. What could be the problem???

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 Patriot. Replaced my transmission as well. Now the sub frame is shot. Jeep is junk and they don’t stand behind their vehicles. Too bad. I love my Jeep, but never again buy one.
Budster I also have a 2011Fwd 2.4l with 327,000 Original trans with one fluid change since new Just replaced subframe a couple months ago She’s paid me back so I decided to keep her and replace the subframe good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts