Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to notice a “creaking” sound when I drive around slowly like in a parking lot. The sound is coming from the rear of the vehicle. 2013 Pat. What could it be? Simple or no?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,111 Posts
There's several things it could be. Most common culprits are the rear sway bar bushings and the parking brake cables rubbing on something. I had a really annoying creaking noise a couple years ago that I couldn't find the cause of. I asked the shop to look for it while I was getting my oil changed and they found it, it turned out to be a metal cover that protects the wires to the RDU clutch. It was rubbing on a large washer thats part of the RDU mount. The mechanic just reached up and bent it by hand so that it wouldn't rub anymore.

But it could be any bushing or any part that moves.

·
Administrator
7,729 Posts
Along with the sway bar bushings and parking brake cable, the toe links, upper and lower control arms have spherical joints that can go dry and creak.

Sounds like this:

You might be able to narrow it down using a pair of channel locks and twisting each part back and forth.

If you have a grease gun with an injector needle or some spray-able grease, you might be able to get some grease into it by pulling the seal back.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Bumper Gas

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts