2018 Taxes, getting your refund? - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Political Discussion Reserved for all political discussions

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
People going across the border to get items cheaper without having to pay sales tax. Seems like you would need better borders.
So your saying we need a Canadian wall as well right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

If income tax went away and it was only sales tax, I'd be living right next to the boarder with walmart driving distance in canada.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
As the border crossing inspects your purchases and receipts - to collect tax at the border.
Really which is similar to what they already do right now - excess duty taxes.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
As the border crossing inspects your purchases and receipts - to collect tax at the border.
Really which is similar to what they already do right now - excess duty taxes.
Yeah but the boarder of Canada and Mexico probably isn't equipped to calculate tax on everything. They only do it on a few types of things.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
Really!

Its not very hard, the same as how it works currently. You declare your goods at the border and what you owe is calculated. Its already in place - implementing VAT for entry to the US from Canada would be a non-issue and could be implemented overnight once the rates are determined if any different than what they are now.

Have you ever driven to Canada? I have, every year, and going back in a couple months.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/d...iffs-and-taxes

Fail to properly claim - normally slap on the wrist and pay. Piss off the agent or do something really bad, you get a fine and have to still pay. Worst case - see below, ouch!

Quote:
https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...%20Declare.pdf

In this case, the CBP uses article 542 — a section of title 18 in the United States Code of Law. Under article 542, a person transporting commercial qualities of undeclared goods can be charged with the criminal penalty of money laundering, and illegal or attempted illegal importing, punishable by a maximum of 20 years in prison, a fine, or both. The criminal fine is up to $500,000 or twice the value of the contraband non-declared products, whichever is greater.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah but the boarder of Canada and Mexico probably isn't equipped to calculate tax on everything. They only do it on a few types of things.
As Croat has already pointed out the mechanisms are already in place at our border crossings. Customs and Border Control regularly deal with "declarations" and assign and collect any appropriate taxes.
Even still, Canada isn't any cheaper than the U.S. for most things so the difference in price wouldn't be worth the hassle of regular boarder crossings for most things. And for the southern boarder, it wouldn't be worth the time it takes at those boarder crossings. The U.S/ Mexico boarder averages 30 minutes to 2 hours wait before you even get to the CBP officers working the boarder. Is the wait really worth it compared to the extra 5 bucks you'll spend on taxes at Walmart now that there is no federal income tax coming out of your paycheck? You would spend half that savings in gas just idling at the checkpoint.... then you lose the time. How much is your time worth?
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAaron View Post
As Croat has already pointed out the mechanisms are already in place at our border crossings. Customs and Border Control regularly deal with "declarations" and assign and collect any appropriate taxes.
Even still, Canada isn't any cheaper than the U.S. for most things so the difference in price wouldn't be worth the hassle of regular boarder crossings for most things. And for the southern boarder, it wouldn't be worth the time it takes at those boarder crossings. The U.S/ Mexico boarder averages 30 minutes to 2 hours wait before you even get to the CBP officers working the boarder. Is the wait really worth it compared to the extra 5 bucks you'll spend on taxes at Walmart now that there is no federal income tax coming out of your paycheck? You would spend half that savings in gas just idling at the checkpoint.... then you lose the time. How much is your time worth?
Do you really think it will be just 5 bucks? The government collects thousands of dollars from me a year. If I shopped at walmart every day and paid an extra 5 dollars a day, it still wouldn't come close to the taxes I pay. Like I said, prices for the entire item at walmart would probably have to triple if not more to make up for the lack of income tax. This would give people incentive to buy across the border.

The current border patrol doesn't have the man power to keep up with people trying to sneak many more items in.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
If income tax went away and it was only sales tax, I'd be living right next to the boarder with walmart driving distance in canada.
This statement, to me indicated that you would be going across the border for everything including "quick trip items". This lead to my response with the "5 dollar" train of thought.

Quote:
Do you really think it will be just 5 bucks? The government collects thousands of dollars from me a year. If I shopped at walmart every day and paid an extra 5 dollars a day, it still wouldn't come close to the taxes I pay. Like I said, prices for the entire item at walmart would probably have to triple if not more to make up for the lack of income tax. This would give people incentive to buy across the border.

The current border patrol doesn't have the man power to keep up with people trying to sneak many more items in.
For quick trip items... a pair of pants or a shirt... my 5 bucks was based on a 20% tax rate. So that means that what you need at Wal-Mart costs 25 dollars now. That would make it 30 bucks after tax at a 20% rate. How much do pants or a shirt currently cost in a Colorado Wal-Mart? Obviously you don't spend 25 dollars everytime you go to Wal-Mart now. The tax you pay would be 20%. So, whatever you spend at Wal-Mart now, add 20%. Under no circumstance would the prices of items go up 300% ("probably have to triple") due to a 20% tax rate. That's simple math. You missed the forest for the trees by focusing on 5 bucks as opposed to a percentage based sales tax. If you paid a 20% sales tax on everything you bought I bet it would end up to more than what you are currently paying in federal taxes each year. But the system would inspire and reward saving. Want to reduce your tax burden? Learn to live with lower expenses.

Read the link I posted earlier. a 23% rate would give the federal government more than they take in on taxes now and still reduce most peoples tax burdens. Because it's a "lifestyle" tax. Those who consume the most are taxed the most. Those who have the highest income and wealth naturally consume the most. Our current tax system already tries to accomplish this type of "tiered tax liability" but does so poorly because current tax law is hundreds of thousand of pages filled with loop holes that were lobbied for by special interest groups from across the political spectrum. A straight sales tax type system accomplishes that "tiered" system without all the loopholes and special interests. It also simplifies taxes for corporations, non-profits, etc.

For that reason I disagree that current border patrol would need more manpower. The sales tax doesn't amount to enough to make it worthwhile to smuggle items across an international border. This border system is already in place around the world including in the U.S. Do some international travel and see for yourself what it's like going through customs.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-...ler-entry-form

Last edited by DangerAaron; 03-11-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM

The new tax changes were a negative for me...the changes in the deductions hurt...I am receiving close to $800 less this year...paid more taxes with a similar income. My state refund was similar to prior years. Not happy with the new tax law.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
On a nice vacation right now with the family courtesy of my thousands more in a refund the tax law gave back to me.
Good for some, not for others.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGarage View Post
The new tax changes were a negative for me...the changes in the deductions hurt...I am receiving close to $800 less this year...paid more taxes with a similar income. My state refund was similar to prior years. Not happy with the new tax law.
Thats weird, I see you are in ohio which supposively is low tax. Do you know if anything else changed since 2017 to 2018 besides the tax structure? Did your deductions change like tuition expenses or maybe a kid isn't a dependent anymore?
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAaron View Post
Read the link I posted earlier. a 23% rate would give the federal government more than they take in on taxes now and still reduce most peoples tax burdens. [/URL]
I disagree a 23% income tax would be enough if it was only on non food items.

Like I said, I hardly buy anything but food items. I only buy pants once a year, shoes once a year, electronics once a year. I think most people would fall into this category. If you only make my 4 times a year trip only 23% more expensive, that would hardly make up for the thousands not taken in income tax.

I probably spend more on home improvement than I do on anything else besides food. I guess they could tax that 23% but still would probably only come up to 1000 dollars in taxes at most.

If they think this 23% sales tax would work, then go for it because it would benefit me a ton. I would pay probably 70% less taxes because of it.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Some pay more for reasons unrelated to income, some less. Some shop around more, some less. Alot of my purchases involve food considering my profession as a trucker, but I still make non-food purchases often enough. Just ordered an old Losi XXX4 off ebay, and a still-unpainted body for it. And asked a local fabrication shop about making a CB antenna mirror mount for my Patriot. And every month or two I'm in the local auto parts store for wipers or oil or something. All this brings up questions like would private sales such as done via ebay, craigslist, garage sales, etc., be charged this tax? Most of my Amazon purchases aren't currently taxed, but I'm guessing they would be in this hypothetical scenario? And what if people start charging less money for things because of this? Unlikely as it may sound, a group or community could exercise their choice to lower prices and do some good for those around them while easing the local tax burden.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:36 PM

I lucked out. Usually pay in, but reaching 65, dropped income, and properties, my agent says I should continue to file each year, because if I do and continue doing the same deductions, I am guaranteed $1500.00 extra per year. Aint much on rocket science, and aint much on stupid neither, so as long as my bones takes me down once a year I'll have money for about a week anyway.....
RossoRacer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode