Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Looking at Buying a 2011 Patriot with 146,000 has a CVT Tranmission any thoughts?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  slivo 
#1 ·
Curious I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Jeep Patriot sport 2wd with 146,000 miles on it. I have read several forums about the CVT transmission and having mixed results in purchasing this, any input would be appreciated. The vehicle I'm looking at is for a 16year old's first car. What do I really need to look close at?

#2 · (Edited)
Buying any vehicle with nearly 150,000 miles is going to be a bit risky in my opinion. Transmissions of any type are known to need service beyond 150,000 miles. The JATCO CVT probably more so. The Honda and Toyota fan boys will proclaim that their vehicles are just getting broken in at 150,000, but you are going to pay a LOT more for used versions of those brands.

At 150,000 miles you need to look closely at the drive train (engine, transmission), suspension components, and just about everything else. In my opinion, a lot of the decision rests on if you can save lots of money doing repairs yourself. So, you save money up front and doing self repairs or you pay lots more up front and hope your visits to the mechanic are few. It is not difficult to determine if a vehicle has been cared for meticulously, another point to consider when deciding on a used car. The Patriot is a low priced, entry level econo-car type of vehicle and all that implies. Mine is great at 6.5 years and 85,000 miles, but I do all the scheduled maintenance on it and also preemptive care.

Yes, I would be leery of a Jatco CVT with 150,000 miles on it. I would be leery of a Patriot IF I could not do repairs myself (my opinion). Most (not all) 16 year olds tend to be hard on vehicles (learning curve). Kia Souls are inexpensive. My adult son has one approaching 200,000 miles and it is a rock solid vehicle (ugly, IMO, but well built LOL).

Sorry I can't offer more help. Good luck with that new driver!

#4 ·
Honda automatic transmissions are junk and break. Toyota's automatics are rock solid, and they make them for everybody, seriously half the transmissions used in just about any new car is an Aisin, who is majorly owned by Toyota.

for ANY used car purchase, get a Pre purchase inspection done by a mechanic you trust. they are going to know what to look for and can give you an idea on what needs to be addressed.

That car has also been driven A LOT, over 18k miles a year on average. That's leans towards a car that has been hard driven in my experience.

the next question is... How much is this car? if its like a $500 car, you can throw a new transmission into it no problem (along with an engine, interior, hood, hell even a whole 'nother car), if it's a $8,000, then I would probably be walking away pretty quick, if it's somewhere in between, It would really really depend on it's over all condition and service history.

#5 ·
I am a Patriot fan, but I agree with the others that anything over 150,000 is going to need work. If you want anything trouble-free, get something <100,000 miles. A lot depends on how well it was taken care of before you got it, and what you're paying for it.

Best case scenario, it runs like a charm with minimal problems. Worst case scenario, if you and your kid like working on cars, this could be a fun time!

My Dad & I had a great time fixing up my 1960 Ford Falcon when it was just a 10 year old rust-bucket. It was a learning experience and a bonding time. Dad had a lot of mechanical experience and that car had its share of problems. When I got it free from my uncle it was worth the price. It had just had the engine rebuilt but everything else was poised to go south. The clutch was a rolling disaster I learned to cope with, and I had the brakes done professionally, then I replaced a bunch of stuff on it myself that first year -- nothing major just belts, hoses, shocks, generator, radiator, starter, battery & cables, and a whole lot of body work. I did my own oil, learned to use a grease gun, and in those days plugs were 10,000 mile items. Cars were a lot easier to work on back then.

So your question is a good one and it seems like you know what you're getting into. My present Patriot has 120,000 on it with nary a problem; my 2008 Patriot got almost to 300,000 with very little EXCEPT the tranny failed twice, but both were covered under warranty. I sold it to a friend a year ago and my Wife saw his son driving it today. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#6 · (Edited)
This 2011 I'm looking at is in excellent condition, I have the car fax on it and we would be the 4 owners. This vehicle has been serviced every 4,000 miles at a jeep dealership by all four owners. Someone mention subframe having problems and ball joints. I did noticed on the car fax that the lower ball joints have been replaced. I've work for a parts store for 25 years and have been around car all my life and have a very good idea what to look for, but the transmission I'm not well familiar with. I talked to a good friend of mine who works for a Jeep dealership in the parts department and he suggested first thing is to service the transmission by changing the fluid and filter, at 146,000 miles. Like I mention this is a very sharp almost show room condition and been well taken care by it looks. I'm purchasing it from a Wholesaler for $3700. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated thanks.

#7 ·
Yes, get the tranny fluid & filters done pronto! If its in as good shape as it sounds its worth a few repairs for sure. The price doesn't sound bad, but that's the asking price -- you know the seller will drop the price if you start to walk away.

Good luck and don't be a stranger here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.