towing with a 2.0L Patriot?? help! - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

3Likes
  • 2 Post By festerw
  • 1 Post By Ignatz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

towing with a 2.0L Patriot?? help!

Can anyone help with towing questions specifically related to towing and Jeep Patriots?? I have a 2016 Jeep Patriot with a 2.0L engine that can only tow 1000lbs.

i'm looking at micro campers made by Runaway. they make one for motorcycles that only weighs 520lbs and then there is a Runaway CoolCamp that is closer to 700lbs. i've read that you are not supposed to exceed 80% of your tow amount so that would be technically 800 lbs. but do you need to count the people and cargo inside the jeep?

what the heck is tongue weight - do you have to add that to the amount you're towing? ahh! so confusing. also, i want to take this to Colorado which means mountains! I don't want to kill my Pat - I LOVE MY PAT!! thanks if anyone can explain this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 01:10 PM

Garage
If your Pat is rated to tow 1000 lbs, then an 800 lb trailer should be OK. You don't need to take into account passengers inside the Jeep. Tongue weight is the amount of weight that a trailer pushes down onto your hitch. You don't need to add tongue weight to anything, just make sure that the trailers tongue weight doesn't exceed the Pats rating.

2014 Patriot Sport FDII
2015 Honda NC700XDA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 02:36 PM

You need to count the cargo and people inside but not in the way you're thinking.

Towing max 1000lbs - you're at 700 so you're well within there.
Tongue weight max 150lbs - That's the amount of weight you're putting on the Jeeps hitch should be 70-105 (10-15% of the trailer weight) if the trailer is loaded properly.
Payload is max 1300lbs - so subtract the 105 from 1300 and you're at 1195.

So that means the amount of passengers and gear you can carry legally while towing is 1195lbs.

If you only have two adults travelling with luggage it should be well within the specs.
Ignatz and mr_et2 like this.

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
2011 Dodge Durango Crew

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 09:43 PM

Garage
Good advice above.

I can appreciate your question. I've been contemplating putting a hitch on our 2014 2.0 5-spd FWD Patriot. My proposed use is more modest than yours. The most I'll be pulling is my 5x10 utility trailer with my lawn tractor (sic) or maybe for a couple pieces of furniture to the church auction -- just local stuff.

If you're pulling a trailer through the mountains, give your Patriot plenty of rest both on the upgrades and the downgrades. Remember its only a 4cyl, not an 8 or a 10! Presuming you'll use your gears to hold you back on the downgrades, that's just as hard on a gear box as the climb was. Consider your brakes, too. Patriots aren't going to stop as fast with a load on, and on those long downgrades they'll be working a lot harder than usual.

Good luck! I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
mr_et2 likes this.

Last edited by Ignatz; Today at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in