Rear Suspension Help - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Rear Suspension Help

So I've been doing some work on my 2010 Jeep Patriot lately and I was able to change out my front struts and when I attempted my rear suspension I was able to remove all the hardware.

The only problem I had was when I tried removing the strut as I didn't have enough clearance. I tried removing the bolt holding the lower control arm assembly to have more room to work with but I couldn't remove the bolt.

So far I was able to remove that specific nut, holding the lower control arm to the end of the threading. I tried penetrating oil, hitting it with a sledgehammer and heating it with a small blowtorch.

I had the rear lifted on jack stands. Is there anything else I can do short of drilling this bolt out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:19 AM

Did you remove the sway bar links? That will give you a little more room.

When I did my 07 I ended up removing the lateral arms. The bolts wouldn't move and I had to cut them. That was the cheapest route.

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
2011 Dodge Durango Crew
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffice18 View Post
... So far I was able to remove that specific nut, holding the lower control arm to the end of the threading. I tried penetrating oil, hitting it with a sledgehammer and heating it with a small blowtorch.
Are you saying you were able to get the nut loose, but not all the way off the bolt? Or is it that you got the nut off but can get the bolt out of the assembly?

If the threads at the end are dirty, try backing the bolt up and taking a wire brush to the threads to clear them.

If it's just the very end threads that's damaged you may have enough room to cut that part off and still have enough bolt left to use until you can get another ordered.

If the nut is off and the bolt is stuck, try walking it out with a ratchet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
Are you saying you were able to get the nut loose, but not all the way off the bolt? Or is it that you got the nut off but can get the bolt out of the assembly?

If the threads at the end are dirty, try backing the bolt up and taking a wire brush to the threads to clear them.

If it's just the very end threads that's damaged you may have enough room to cut that part off and still have enough bolt left to use until you can get another ordered.

If the nut is off and the bolt is stuck, try walking it out with a ratchet.
I'm able to remove the nut completely but I left it on to hit the bolt with the sledgehammer without damaging the threads.

I'm not able to remove the bolt at all to lower the control arm to make room for the suspension.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post

When I did my 07 I ended up removing the lateral arms. The bolts wouldn't move and I had to cut them. That was the cheapest route.
My rear struts do not have sway bars attached to them (Only the front ones do). It connects only from the Upper mounting nuts and the shock absorber lower mounting bolts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

My rear struts do not have sway bars attached to them (Only the front ones do). It connects only from the Upper mounting nuts and the shock absorber lower mounting bolts.
There is still a sway bar connected to the lower arm in the rear. Removing one side of the link will let the lower arm move lower to get the shock assembly out.

2011 Dodge Durango Crew
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I'm able to remove the nut completely but I left it on to hit the bolt with the sledgehammer without damaging the threads.

I'm not able to remove the bolt at all to lower the control arm to make room for the suspension.
Try walking the bolt out with the ratchet.

If the bolt won't turn at all try putting a jack under the control arm and lift it a little to see if it gets the pressure off of the bolt.

You can try a long wrench or a breaker bar along with a dead blow hammer to get the bolt to start turning.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There is still a sway bar connected to the lower arm in the rear. Removing one side of the link will let the lower arm move lower to get the shock assembly out.
The bolt holding stabilizer bar link(2)? Or the lower control arm-to-crossmember bolt(4)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15558883448146855761903276238511_1555888356618.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	81263  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The bolt holding stabilizer bar link(2)? Or the lower control arm-to-crossmember bolt(4)?
#2, should give you another 2" or so.

2011 Dodge Durango Crew
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
Try walking the bolt out with the ratchet.

If the bolt won't turn at all try putting a jack under the control arm and lift it a little to see if it gets the pressure off of the bolt.

You can try a long wrench or a breaker bar along with a dead blow hammer to get the bolt to start turning.
Here's a vid on it:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Use an impact...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode