Bug-out vehicle - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

1Likes
  • 1 Post By u35828

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Bug-out vehicle

How many have built or installed items in their Pat to equip it for moderate survival/search & rescue/natural disaster/zombie apocalypse scenarios? What did you include in your build? What kind of tools or supplies and where were they installed? pictures appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:50 PM

I do have a go bag with some basic survival gear. Hatchet, Space Blanket, fire starter, knife, 2 bottles of water, water purifier, etc. Nothing too insane.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:30 PM

don't forget the power bars or equiv. They have a long shelf life, and if stale, they will chew longer....

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
In my mind the Patriot is not a good choice for that type of vehicle. Simply put it doesn't have enough range. I mean if you were in south Florida and a hurricane was bearing down on you, you wouldn't be able to get more than about a state away before having to stop for fuel. There are a lot of vehicles out there that can easily achieve a range over 500 miles on a single tank of fuel. A WK2 Grand Cherokee is one example. In all of the typical "Prepper scenarios" you have to take into account that supplies and resources would be hard to find or simply unavailable. So relying on a vehicle that can't even get 300 miles out of a tank of gas in most situations seems counter productive to me.
That being said, for most of us, a small tool kit and a "go bag" with water, blankets, extra socks, and some small supplies is all we really need and is easy to assemble and can even fit in the spare tire compartment.

I am in no way a "prepper" of any sort. I do have a tool kit and some supplies that I keep in all vehicles I own because I was once on a highway that got shutdown in a snow storm for about 10 hours. That's a life changing event.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 AM

Sterno, matches, extra hoddie, sunflower seeds, twine and jumper cables. Keep the items in the spare tire bay, with the spare tire. In the right storage area above the spare tire deck, small portable air compressor and tow strap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Found this today while getting ready to wax, will be added to the bug out stuff 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190423_114743748_1556038408222.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	81267  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAaron View Post
In my mind the Patriot is not a good choice for that type of vehicle. Simply put it doesn't have enough range. I mean if you were in south Florida and a hurricane was bearing down on you, you wouldn't be able to get more than about a state away before having to stop for fuel. There are a lot of vehicles out there that can easily achieve a range over 500 miles on a single tank of fuel. A WK2 Grand Cherokee is one example. In all of the typical "Prepper scenarios" you have to take into account that supplies and resources would be hard to find or simply unavailable. So relying on a vehicle that can't even get 300 miles out of a tank of gas in most situations seems counter productive to me.
That being said, for most of us, a small tool kit and a "go bag" with water, blankets, extra socks, and some small supplies is all we really need and is easy to assemble and can even fit in the spare tire compartment.

I am in no way a "prepper" of any sort. I do have a tool kit and some supplies that I keep in all vehicles I own because I was once on a highway that got shutdown in a snow storm for about 10 hours. That's a life changing event.
i have 2 vehicles, patriot having 217k miles on it and 200 miles to the tank would not be my preferred bug out vehicle
my buick sedan with 68k miles on it gets 500 miles to the tank, that's the vehicle I would take in an emergency
either way I camp a lot so always have a bag with camping stuff in the vehicle,
I don't carry water often but do have a water filter in the bag, along with other gear,
for food, I usually end up eating the jerky and snack bars before any emergency, but I do have dried meals along with canister stove in the bag
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
in my car I recently added a power bank jump starter,
small/compact works great I switched to such when I had battery problems and twice got a jump from people with such power banks,
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:38 PM

My Patriot contains the following:

Fire Extinguisher
Go Bag- water proof matches, flint and steel, water purifier, leatherman, combat knife, tourniquet, quick clot/Celox, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, emergency gps beacon, and med kit
Solar Generator with battery terminals, air pump, and usb charging
Toolkit
Some sort of firearm (usually on my person)
Spare tire

If anyone has any good ideas for fuel storage let me know.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 PM

The Wrangler and Gladiator are the only two Jeep vehicles suitable for a bug-out scenario, as they are designed for off-road use and can be modified from their stock builds for extreme-use situations. The Wrangler would be preferable due to part availability for customization, maintenance, and fixes.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino714 View Post
If anyone has any good ideas for fuel storage let me know.
I've got a pair of Rotopax on my tire carrier. They work well. Adds about half a tank's worth of gas. Haven't needed them to bail myself out of trouble yet, but I have for someone else.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:30 PM

I installed the OEM tow hooks on my 2015 High Altitude Patriot; this required replacing the lower front fascia with one that had holes for the tow hooks. In the back, there's a d-ring shackle receiver mated to a Class III hitch.

Inside, there's a pair of entrenching tools, a pick mattock, tow strap, spare fuses, a 12V inflator, and low-profile tire chains.
revdej likes this.

-2015 Patriot High Altitude 4x4. * tow hooks * Class III hitch. Bone stock, otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode