my thoughts on if the patriots are slow - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
my thoughts on if the patriots are slow

so i have owned a 2013 patriot 4x4 5spd and a 2017 4x4 6spd auto. I traded out the 2013 as it was redundant and i really wants a sports car. So i got me a brand new 2019 mustang gt 5.0 pp1. She goes 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and does a 1/4 mile in 11 and change.

SO i have driven a fast car for about 3 months now and will tell you that the patriot is not slow. it's not mustang fast of course, but if you mash the skinny pedal it goes fast enough.

people wanting it to be a sports car are wanting too much and are unreasonable.

can my stang go on the beach or up a mountain trail? no. it's not designed for that. can my patriot beat a camaro off the line? no, it's not built for that.

every car has it's strengths and weeknesses.

the patriot is actually an overall good vehicle that can go where most vehicles can only dream of.

so i am happy with my "slow" patriot. it really is quite fast. And I should know as i have had 3 months of 460hp in the stang to play with.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

2017 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 6spd auto FD! Billet Silver yoko geolandar ats G015's 215/70R16 on stock steelies
e-trailer 2" receiver hitch. wet okole seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
don't know about newer pats, but my 07 FDII is a turd,
engine revs quickly but that cvt takes half a day to catch up to the engine revs,
merging I need at least 2-3 times the space so cars don't bunch up on my arse,
as opposed to my other cars,
yes its slow, very slow, but speed isn't what I bought it for, its a capable 4x4, that was my priority, that's the feature that keeps me from dumping it,
John Smeton and pahiker like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
I've driven a few different vehicles....never a sports car per se, but a few different V8 pickup trucks, a minivan or two, that sort of thing. In many ways they feel faster, but in other ways slower. The Patriot, or mine at least, 2010 FD1 CVT autostick, is hardly fast in Camaro/Hellcat/supercar terms, but can hold its own in regular driving conditions. Sometimes I kinda have to plan in advance what I want it to do according to traffic flow, but any driver should be doing that to some point and I have to do so even more sometimes at work, as an over-the-road trucker. If you think 3300 pounds with 172 horsepower is bad, try 75,000 pounds with 450 horsepower.
John Smeton likes this.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM

I didn't buy the patriot to go fast. Thats what a motorcycle is for.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Depends on your motorcycle too. I don't ride, but I know comparing a Patriot to most other modern vehicles, especially pony cars, is like comparing a Harley-Davidson Sportster with a Kawasaki Ninja.

"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
is like comparing a Harley-Davidson Sportster with a Kawasaki Ninja.
That barely matters either.
What size engine on these bikes are you comparing? THEN MAYBE you can make such a claim.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Hrm, wasn't thinking so much engines as much as what the bikes are designed for. Harley-Davidson is known for making comfy highway cruisers, and sportbikes like the Ninja are the smaller, nimbler bikes that we're more likely to see somebody doing stupid crap with in a Youtube video. So too is the comparison between the relatively simple(unless somebody puts alot of cushy mods on it) Patriot, bred to be a humble workhorse, and the Mustangs and whatnot that, well, need no explanation.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM

Its slow..... Especially on the freeway you have press down on the pedal to make it go...but its not meant to be a fast a SUV if it was it would HAVE gotten a V6
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Any 4-banger you gotta keep the revs up for torque....CVT keeps in optimum rev range, so it's gonna stay at high RPM while accelerating. And it was designed to be the econoJeep, the little one that keeps them in the (likely unconstitutional) federal regs just so they can keep making Wranglers and whatnot. Patriot isn't bad if you factor all that in.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzJeepGuy View Post
Its slow..... Especially on the freeway you have press down on the pedal to make it go...but its not meant to be a fast a SUV if it was it would HAVE gotten a V6
4 a 4 banger non-turbo it is actually more than fast enough.
Ignatz and RossoRacer like this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL, US Navy, Chief, 2014 Sport, 2,4L FWD

Mine 2014 Sport is fast

My 2014 Sport 2.4L Automatic 6 speed is not slow. I really can't identify with some of the comments. I step on it and it goes. Sure its not a V6 or higher, but I'm off to the next red light pretty quick.
I replaced the air filter with the K&N and from the day I did that it goes faster. Then at 39k I changed tires to 215 65 R 16 which is 1/2" smaller wheel diameter thereby increasing torque off the light. I also use only chevron gas with that techron stuff in it to keep it clean and I change oil at 5k intervals. The automatic transmission up-shifts very smooth. I reset the computer about every 3k miles. And it does it without going down hill because the only hill in Fort Lauderdale is the overpass across the turnpike. It's not a sports car, but not slow either.
I'm very satisfied with its performance.

It is only a machine.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage
When I first got my 2014 FD2, I thought it was slow as hell. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven with a CVT. I hated the CVT... at first. Then I got used to it. Then I started learning about it and how it works and figured it out. Now, I rather like it. For the weight of the vehicle and size of the engine, it actually has quite a bit of "get up and go" in it, but, like a few others have said, you gotta keep the revs up. Get the tach up to about 5k and it moves. Once I figured out how it wants to be driven, I've had no problems taking off or passing on the highway. No, it's nowhere near as fast as my brothers 6.6L turbo Trans Am, but then again, his Trans Am can't drive through 3 feet of snow.
Ignatz and RossoRacer like this.

2014 Patriot Sport FDII
2015 Honda NC700XDA
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM

I've got a 2015 2.4 with the 5-speed.

Acceleration is not bad. I don't mind winding it out occasionally since the engine so smooth.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_et2 View Post
No, it's nowhere near as fast as my brothers 6.6L turbo Trans Am, but then again, his Trans Am can't drive through 3 feet of snow.
Neither can your Patriot. However, I'd rather be in a Patriot than a Trans Am in the snow.
Frankly I'd rather be in a Patriot most of the time.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Neither can your Patriot. However, I'd rather be in a Patriot than a Trans Am in the snow.
Frankly I'd rather be in a Patriot most of the time.
Speak for yourself, but I HAVE driven my Patriot in 3 feet of snow. No, I didn't get out and measure it, but the snow was almost to the hood, and coming up over the hood as I drove. I drove through about 1/8 mile of it.
RossoRacer likes this.

2014 Patriot Sport FDII
2015 Honda NC700XDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode