Help! Temporary Power Loss - Jeep Patriot Forums
Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Help! Temporary Power Loss

Hello all,

I need some serious help with my 2014 Jeep Patriot.

It's a 2.4L, 5 Speed, Manual Transmission. And around 65,000 miles on it. And has all routine maintenance up to date.

The Jeep Patriot has been a great car for me but around 60,000 miles it started this thing where during acceleration it would lose power for a few seconds. It felt almost like slamming on the brakes and the RPMs would drop. But no check engines lights would come on or any other "alarm" lights. The loss of power would only last for about 3 seconds then it would drive like nothing happened and only happened in 4th gear.

I took my Jeep to the dealership and then told me the clutch was bad even though the RPMs dropped. So I had the clutch replaced. About 2 months went by and it started doing it again. The exact same symptoms. During acceleration it would temporary lose power and the RPMs would drop, no lights or anything would appear. Lasting only about 3 seconds the only difference was that it started doing it in different gears, 1st-4th.

I took it back to the dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with my Patriot. I took to another mechanic and he said it was probably the transmission/clutch but didn't want to look at. I took it to another mechanic and they ran a systems check on it and couldn't find anything wrong with it except when the dealership looked at it they didn't put all the bolts back in the transmission which caused a small rattle and transmission leak (pretty significant). But the clutch and transmission appeared fine. So I took it back to the dealership and made them fix it for free.

Anyways, the Patriot drove fine for a couple of weeks then it started doing it again, loss of power for about 3 seconds, RPMs drop, and random gears from 1st-4th.

So I started troubleshooting it, googling possible causes. Most indicated a code would be thrown but the few that said clogged fuel filter, bad throttle body, or needing a tire rotation. Well the fuel filter is in the pump, so I replaced the whole thing, which the Patriot drove better with but still kept having the issue. Next tire rotation and alignment. The rear tires were more worn than the front tires and the alignment was pretty good. And it didn't solve the problem. So I replaced the throttle body. That seemed to do the trick.

I drove the Patriot from southern CA to northern ID and the Patriot drove great for the first 6 hours of the drive but going downhill on cruise control it started the loss of power and RPM drops again. It didn't it off and on for about 45 minutes. It was the like 2am and no cellphone reception so we continued to drive it. Then it was like nothing happened. It drove completely fine for several more hours before doing it again. Again in cruise control. Then a couple of hours later on a flat stretch. Then again while accelerating. Then the last two hours of the drive, driving fine. Then while muddling through town after not driving for 2 days it did it while going over a bump, then a day later while going over another bump.

I took it to a mechanic that focuses on electrical issues. They couldn't find anything wrong with the Jeep. The only code it had stored was an implausible code (U0401). But they couldn't find anything and couldn't recreate the symptom and even had me drive it to try and create it and couldn't recreate it.

So I drove it back from northern ID back to southern CA. The only time it did it on the way back was going over rough road. And once when we pulled over at a camping site there was a slight decline I took it out of gear and rolled down the hill. It was wash boarded and did it while in neutral then died on me, but started back up without issue.

So, there it is. Temporary loss of power, drop in RPMs, for only about 3 seconds, happening in every gear now, happening both during acceleration/de-acceleration/holding a steady speed, doesn't matter what the terrain is, no check engine lights/"alarm lights", and I can't recreate the symptoms.

Any suggestions or advice on how to narrow it down to a possible cause would be greatly appreciated! Or if anyone has experienced this problem, I'd really like your input!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
Well this is a long shot, but I think you need a long shot.

I think its something affecting the fuel supply. Something must be interrupting the flow of gasoline to your engine.

It could be a bad electrical connection to your fuel pump making it cut out. When you accelerate, stop or drive on a rough road it jiggles and momentarily breaks the connection.

Any chance you have foreign matter in your gas tank? I'm thinking of vandalism, like someone stuffing a rag down the filler neck so it floats around in the tank. Any miscreants in your neighborhood?

There's a couple of guesses for you. Good luck, and please keep us posted when you find the cause/solution.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 AM

Garage
PS, I highly doubt its the clutch. If the clutch was slipping the RPMs would jump higher, not drop.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
when you say loss of power, is it shutting off on you? or just dropping to almost idle?
not familiar with MT, but if it has sensors like AT, sensor could be forcing it into safe mode temporarily,
fuel supply issue sounds plausible but would think fuel supply issue would cut the engine off completely and have to restart,
u401 is generally defective fan clutch which could cause engine overheating
overheating could be forcing you into limp mode
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:51 AM

The code you are getting is a communications error, so something is messed up in the chain of sensors and various doohickeys that make up the computer system of your vehicle, which would explain the seizing and power loss if something was really out of whack and giving bad info to the vehicle's controls.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice.

We hooked it up to a computer and its throwing a C121C Torque Request Signal Denied.

I will look into the fuel tank and see if there is any items that shouldn't be there.

I will also check any connections and make sure they aren't loose.

And the car isn't dying on me when I lose power. When the car idles it's usually around 1500 RPMs. When I lose power the needle drops to 0 RPMs but only for the 3 seconds then it's like nothing happened.

I'll look into the MT and AT sensors. I'm not familiar with those. And definitely look into the a possible defective clutch fan. I don't trust the dealership that worked on my car so I'm not 100% sure they didn't screw something up when they replaced the clutch.

Last edited by kv38; 05-19-2018 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv38 View Post
Thank you all for your advice.

We hooked it up to a computer and its throwing a C121C Torque Request Signal Denied.

I will look into the fuel tank and see if there is any items that shouldn't be there.

I will also check any connections and make sure they aren't loose.

And the car isn't dying on me when I lose power. When the car idles it's usually around 1500 RPMs. When I lose power the needle drops to 0 RPMs but only for the 3 seconds then it's like nothing happened.

I'll look into the MT and AT sensors. I'm not familiar with those. And definitely look into the a possible defective clutch fan. I don't trust the dealership that worked on my car so I'm not 100% sure they didn't screw something up when they replaced the clutch.
I had this happen to my 08 for the first and only time about a week ago. Same thing, no power for about 5 seconds, then suddenly it kicked in. No codes or anything. Figured it was my Throttle Body acting up. I have 129K on mine (CVT).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 PM

Garage
Well, OP said he'd done the tire rotation, but I'll throw in my 2c worth. I had a problem a couple years ago with my Patriot doing this stumble thing. Usually it happened during a long acceleration but not from a complete stop -- more like a turnpike entrance ramp or approaching a hill while I was already moving, say 45-55 MPH. It would cut out for maybe a full second--just a couple RPMS. At the time I had a some trash tires on one axle (rear I think) and good tires on the front. Also I think the worn tires were a size under. After replacing the tires with consistent sizes all around the problem went away. My guess is that the difference in tires sizes was confusing the ECM.

Finally, don't rule out something simple like spark plugs. Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles. I may stretch mine to 35,000 or so, but after that they will start to skip. Imagine a couple skipping on the same RPM . . . that's half your engine. Plugs are a simple fix. I don't do much under the hood anymore, but plugs I can do.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:37 PM

sub'd to this thread

Last edited by Sandstone; 05-31-2018 at 07:45 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 PM

This won't help, sorry.

Last year on our 48 State adventure in AZ it as 125 after driving for 4 hours at highway speeds (more or less) my 2016 Patriot w/40000 miles 6spd Auto. Stopped running as if someone turned off the key. No warning at all. The steering didn't lock up (as others have reported) but power steering died as well as power brakes. This happened on and off for the next 2 weeks, all while it was 100 and above. An interesting note, I had a hell of a time putting gas in it too. It would take 15 minutes to fill the tank because I had to fill it so slowly.

The dealer told me that the chipped key and computer would stop communicating b/c of the dry air and a static charge would build up. It would restart EVERY TIME and go 5 miles or 50 or 100 it was very random.

I did remove the gas cap and leave it off for a few days and had zero reoccurrences. I thought I had it licked - but it happened again when my daughter was driving trying to catch up to me. She had it floored going uphill in the mountains in ID doing about 80mph. That was the last time. I have 105500 miles now.

I suspect your problems are fuel delivery issues causes by venting. It was an issue on Wranglers.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Finally, don't rule out something simple like spark plugs. Patriot plugs are only good for 30,000 miles. I may stretch mine to 35,000 or so, but after that they will start to skip. Imagine a couple skipping on the same RPM . . . that's half your engine. Plugs are a simple fix. I don't do much under the hood anymore, but plugs I can do.
Seconding this. Mine was starting to stumble so I replaced my old plugs and ran some Seafoam through it and right as rain. Plugs are supposed to be gapped to 44 thousandths, they were something like 69 thousandths and were kinda gross. Probably gummed things up a bit.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's advice and personal experience. This is a very broad issue for the Jeep Patriot.

It just so happens that I think I have found the origin of my problem. I started investigating based on what information that you all had provided but that got my no where. All systems where good. So I started messing the the electrical system. Cleaning grounds, etc.

One night while at a complete loss of what to do. I turned the Jeep on and just started pulling on wires. I pulled on the harness that connects the Crankshaft Position Sensor and it killed the Jeep, deader than a door nail.

So, if anyone is having issues with there Jeep and can't seem to figure it out check the Crankshaft Position Sensor wiring harness (even if it isn't throwing a code because mine never did).
Ignatz, Jorisss, mrocks and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
kv38, thanks for posting your solution. Your post may spare others some time and frustration.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Garage
So did the harness come off or was it loose? Did you replace? I have the same problem.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 PM

This is extremely helpful. I have been having the same issue with my 2015 Jeep Patriot. Random RPM lose engine still running, no codes and it lasts for like 3 seconds. Took it to a Chrystler/Jeep dealership and they pulled the C121C Torque Request Signal Denied code as well but they said that the code was to basic to really say what the issue was. Another mechanic did a basic 40 point diagnostic on all major components and nothing was coming up wrong. When my wife drove it, it happened and she said that the ECS light flashed for about 3-5 seconds and she pulled over shut the car off and when she cranked it back on nothing was coding or lighting up.

I will check the spark plugs and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. This is the only thread I've been able to find that describes exactly what has been going on with my Jeep so hopefully this will be solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
loss of power, rpms dropping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode