Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How many KM"s per tank of gas?

67K views 202 replies 132 participants last post by  5speed 
#1 ·
How many KM's are you guys all getting on a tank of gas?

I am lucky to get 325km if it is all highway. Some tanks are about 280km. The dealership tells me it is so low as I am in the break in period, and that by 15,000km it will be better. I currently have 3000km on my Jeep.

I find this to be just horrible. I am at the gas station almost every day. I can barely make it to my cottage on a tank of gas!

I was hoping that computer reprogramming issue that was posted on here would help this out, but the dealership said I have the most up to date software version already installed.

#87 ·
Well, iridium spark plugs and Mobil1 syn did not improve my mileage. About 12L+ city and 10.4L highway at 115-120Km. Maybe computer reset would help (someone reported this elsewhere). I have also read in other thread that one should assume 10% more for CVT and another 10% more for CVT FDII. I like that, because it makes me feel like my fuel consumption more is in line with all of you. Any more FDII out there?

#90 ·
I have a 5spd with 11,000kms and get close to 500km's on a tank, neither hwy or just in town..both, that's not drivN like an ole lady either! would get over 500 if shifted at low rev's..Love it!! $55cdn a week for gas unlike my ole 4L Ranger costing up to $110 aweek.

#91 · (Edited)
If I do a trip out in the region (I live in Thunder Bay, I service medical imaging equipment) on a service call, I usually drive around 105-110 kmph just at the edge of getting a ticket, and I easily get over 500 km on a single tank, I'm sure if I was adventurous I could play the gas light game to see how long I could drive with it on...lol.

I will say that when I first got it the mileage was quite dissappointing, I have about 20,000 km on it now and it only really started getting better mileage around 10,000 km. I've heard people say to drive gingerly during the break in period but I do not agree with this. I think it's more important to cycle the engine through hot and cold phases to help seat the piston rings and generally tighten things up. If you never get the engine up into it's operating temperature then I would think the compression of the engine would never reach it's optimum. Keep in mind that an internal combustion engine gets more efficient the hotter it can operate at, that's why it would be great to have and engine made of ceramic because it could get extrememly hot without distortion of parts. The engineers of any engine have to find the happy medium between reliability and effeciency in this regard.

FYI I drive a 2008 North Edition.

#93 ·
I probably could make it from here to Kelowna and not fill up depending on traffic. As it is, I made it from Kelowna to Whatcom Road in Abbotsford and I still had around a half tank. I filled up because it was a long weekend and who knows what traffic on Highway 1 will be like.

#94 ·
Map Ecoregion Atlas World

I make this 590 km highway trip almost every month. I always top off the tank at the beginning of the trip and invariably arrive at my destination with the low fuel light on. The small fuel tank of the Patriot is sort of annoying, because I used to be able to make this trip at the same speed with my previous car and still have fuel left for several days of shorter commuting trips. And I think I've noticed an increase in fuel consumption in the last months. The days when I could easily get 6.5 l/100 km or better seem to be gone. I'm always into the 7s lately.

#98 ·
just added a k&n filter to my patriot and i must say fule and performace is a lot better. Just want to send out my recomandations

K&N filter 2008 jeep patriot FDII Trail rated part #33-2362 about $48.00
never have to change again worth the money

I get about 425km per tank in bc just added the filter, i will be checking my fuel consumption over the next couple mounths i will keep you up dated:smiley_thumbs_up:

#100 ·
19000Km and counting...

..and getting 500 + km per fill-up.

Driving is 60/40 city moderate highway (around the city by-passes).

Have put 52L + of gas in at some point, nice to know 51 is not the real max. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#102 ·
I have just over 55,000km on our Patriot now. The fuel consumption ranges quite a bit depending on my driving habits. Here in Saskatchewan it can get quite windy on the open prairie and depending which direction I'm driving will depend on the mileage I get.

I have gotten from 7.9l/100km to 13.5l/100km.

A recent trip this summer back to Toronto, I got 11l/100km in a wind while driving in the prairies and then I averaged about 8.5l/100km when I got into Northern Ontario (even with the steep hills and a lead foot).

I average about 450km/tank to 650km/tank depending on speed and wind direction. I have gotten as low as 300km/tank on a very windy day on the highway.

I have found wind and my lead foot to be the biggest factor for fuel economy. I drive alot on the highway (open highway not 401 highway) and if I go 120km/hr I get horrible mileage......add the wind it gets worse. If I keep it at 100-105km/hr it makes a huge gain in economy.

All in all I like the Patriot and it's 10 times more efficient than my Range Rover Classic (4.2L - 8 cylinder) or the Series 2A (Land Rover - small 4 cylinder) - although I love these vehicles as well.

cheers,
Thom

#104 ·
mine does 600k+ each fill-up, 710km my best with 51L...

I used the scangauge II so I drive to keep the fuel consumption at its best...

conditions: 20-25°C about no wind

7.0-7.3 L/100km on highway @ 95km/h average speed with stable throttle
8.8-9.4L/100km using very slow rpm shift 1800 RPM max (5th gear@50kmh) and avoiding red lights traffic and idle

my average 50city/50 highway 4700km driving: 8.2L/100km

NOTE: the wind WILL affect (INCREASE OR DECREASE dramaticaly) your consumption... so its NORMAL to do 8.9L/100km driving 100km/h with a 40km/h front wind or 6.2L/100km @ 100km the same condition but the other side of the highway

#108 ·
|I have a 2009 with 5 speed. I have been getting about 450-500 kms per tank. That is running about 60% highway and the rest city. You should take you vehicle in and get them to check it out. It is pure crap that you would have that ****ty gas mileage due to "break -in period". All the cars I have owned from new has given me a little better mileage after the break-in period but I am talking minimal change. Have you asked what Jeep says about this recently?

#109 ·
Fuel consumption was the main reason of choosing the Patriot and so far I have mixed emotions about it.

To start I do have a Yakima cargo box on the roof, which will impact the fuel economy. That and my job requires short bursts from home to work with little to no warm-up time in some cases, so this will effect it as well.

As an average I am getting about 390km/tank or about 10.5L/100km in the city. I've had it on some long hwy trips and on straight hwy, it will get the stated 8.5l/100km or about 500km/tank. I can't complain about the highway mileage, as it is getting what it states, however I have never seen it get the 9.5l/100km that it claims it will get in the city.

I switched from a 1992 4Runner and I'm still probably saving $40/month on gas.

oh yeah. Mine is a 2008 North, CVT2, FDI.

#110 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Great to see there is an online Pat community.

Just got a new '09 Pat 2.4L 4x2 Sport with manual 5-speed transmission four weeks ago. I have been doing a pretty steady experiment on the fuel economy. I set a trip odometer every time I fill up and compare that will the fuel used when I fill up the next time. By filling up to the brim approximate amount of fuel used in each 'trip' is the amount on the pump. I drive it pretty easy as I am in the work-in period; currently I am at 2200km.

Stats: (Avg +/- SD)
City Driving Around Vancouver I get 9.40 +/- L/100km (30.3 +/- 2.7 Miles/Gallon (imp.)) n = 5
Highway Driving 8.26 L/100km (34.4 Miles/Gallon (imp.)) n = 1 ;)

I don't have any complaints with this yet. Winter is coming so we will see if that changes anything.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.