Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Hello to all

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sandstone 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 2.4 Jeep Patriot. I've had it about 8 years now and has approximately 120k miles. Up until now i haven't had any issues with it other than just routine maintenance. But starting about 2 months ago I've been getting an intermittent transmission over heat warning light. I took it to a local AAMCO and was told my Jeep has a CVT transmission and was basically a non serviceable, disposable item. However, after doing some searching on Google, came across multiple YouTube "howto" videos on how to drain The transmission fluid & replace the transmission filter. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same issue and did changing the fluid and filter resolve the transmission overeating issue? Thanks in advance for any assistance or feed back.

#2 ·
Hi RampagingRN, welcome.

AAMCO is wrong, the CVT can be serviced. There are several threads here on CVT fluid changes, overheating, whining, etc. A quick search should find them.

The 120,000 mile fluid change interval the manual states is totally wrong. IMO the factory fill should be changed at around 30k, then every 30-50k thereafter depending on driving style and conditions.

I never had overheat/limp mode happen but I did have whine at around 70k. I changed the fluid and filters myself and that fixed it.

There are several members here who have had whine/overheat/limp mode, either changed the fluid themselves or paid someone to do it, and most have had positive results.

Besides the fluid and filters, there is a transmission cooler bypass valve that when stuck in bypass mode causes overheating by not allowing the fluid to circulate to the cooler out by the radiator.

And if that cooler is clogged with dirt, leaves, etc. that can also cause overheating.

#3 ·
I'm basically on board with Sandstone though I think the change interval could be 50-60,000; 30,000 seems a little early, but the interval recommended in the owners manual is way too late. Agreed, too, that the CVT is serviceable, i.e., the fluid & filters can (and should) be changed. AAMCO probably meant the CVT can't be repaired which is really a half-truth: FCA/Jeep has an agreement w/ Jatco (tranny manufacturer) to replace not repair CVTs. It may be that if your tranny is making noises that AAMCO is afraid to service it for fear you'll blame them for the noises -- I know some independent shops that won't service any automatics, not just CVTs, for that reason.

Refilling the CVT to the correct level can be tricky and beyond the range of this amateur, but if you know what you're doing I suppose you could. Routine CVT service is expensive and a professional job will probably cost twice a conventional automatic. For my part I'd just as soon have a professional do it.

Frankly I never paid for a fluid change. My first CVT failed at 110,000 and had just passed my 100,000 mile inspection to maintain my lifetime warranty. My dealer replaced that tranny under the lifetime warranty since it failed before the scheduled interval. About when my next F & F change was due my tranny gasket was leaking and in order to replace the gasket they had to drain and pull the pan so FCA paid for everything except the new filter -- my dealer offered me the filter change at cost while they were in there and that was about $50 so what the heck. That tranny lasted to about 270,000 when the belt started slipping and again it was taken care of under the lifetime warranty.

Oh, I see you're new here. Welcome! Hope you and you Patriot can continue your relationship.

#4 ·
If you're mechanically inclined, it's actually really easy to change the fluid yourself. I did mine last month. It took me about 2.5 hours, but I was going slow and took quite a few breaks. It cost me less than $150, including the 2 filters, o-ring, new pan w/ drain plug, pan gasket, and Valvoline fluid. There's videos on youtube and lots of advice on here about doing it yourself.

If you're not mechanically inclined then find a shop that will do it for you. There are a lot of shops that won't touch CVT's, but plenty that will. From what I've heard it should cost around $300-$350 to have it done.

#5 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm going to change the transmission fluid myself this Wednesday. I've already removed the the plastic guard that covers the oil pan & transmission. Wednesday I'll get an early start on removing the pan and draining the fluid. I already have the gasket kit & filter. About the CVT cooler, Have only found one video that shows the approximate location of that filter. It looks like i should be able to to gain access to it by removing the battery and air filter box. It looks pretty straight forward, so keeping fingers crossed all goes well. I'll post in about a week if my time & effort fixes my transmission over heating issues. Thanks for all the responses, greatly appreciated!!

#6 ·
.. About the CVT cooler, Have only found one video that shows the approximate location of that filter. It looks like i should be able to to gain access to it by removing the battery and air filter box...
You don't have to remove the air box to get to the cooler filter, just the battery and the battery tray. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.