Jeep Patriot Leak Repair Tips... - Jeep Patriot Forums
Troubleshooting Troubleshoot your Patriot vehicle's symptoms

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Patriot Leak Repair Tips...

Many under estimate their abilities when it comes to fixing their leak problem. We can often do a better job than the dealership when fixing what is really a low-tech issue.

Hole=leak
No hole=no leak

After reading the posts on this group I removed some of the trim after looking at the service and parts manual. I also examined many of the possable leak points. Using Some good quality clear silicone sealant I sealed these areas and reinstalled the trim. (100% Silicone Sealant lasts forever and can be removed if necessary)

These areas include:
  • Grommets in wheel well/fender
  • Weather stripping around doors
  • Roof rack and roof trim
  • Grommets behind rear lights
  • Rear hatch weather stripping
  • Rear hatch grommets
  • Rear hatch fittings/plug

Jeep Patriot Leak Detection (Shows Common Leak Areas)

The whole process took me 3 hours. Not sure if I would have had a leak, however now I know I won't.

The sunroof is a problem for some (I do not have one). From what I have heard even the best ones can leak a little.

To be frank we really should not have to go through the trouble, however I would rather spend the time then have to mess around with a dealer who would not spend the attention to detail.

POTM July 2008 & December 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi.

I have had an issue with a leaking sunroof as well. I dropped the car off at the dealership last week and was told that it had to be brought to the one shop that the company that imports Jeep to Norway had approved for leak jobs.

I got an update just now and was told that the pat had gotten "a full leak package" and that it was being re-painted today. I have read a lot about leaks, but have never seen that anyone have gotten anything done that should imply a paint job done.

I am happy that the issue has been taken seriously, but I am still a bit curios with regards to what they have done.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by 09LimitedNorway; 06-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 AM

probably rewelded the roof. I've read on some other posts that they have had poor welds on the roof joints.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM

i'm having a problem w/ water leaking in the front dome lights and coming from the A-pillars i thought it was the moon roof but looking now it might be something else its been back to the dealer twice and i think all they do i blow air through the drain holes in the sunroof which is not fixing the problem

mods: remote start , 8000k HID's

futr mods: Inchannel rain guards , Eclipse DBL DIN navi

Last edited by 09patriot4x4; 10-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM

I found out this guide on how to check out the leaks of each vehicle. I don't know if this would help out the Patriot as a whole, but never the less, this would be a good guide to check upon for future purposes.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I have a 2007 patriot that has had the check engine light come on about eight times in 80000 kms. The dealer has been unable to find any problems with the fuel system. All they did was put a new gas cap on. The code that came up is P0456. The fuel lines were pressure tested with no leaks detected. Can anyone out there give me some help with this problem
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Just wondering if anyone can repost the leak detection guide. I've searched the net and can't find it anywhere. I have water coming in via the rear dome light.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHankins View Post
probably rewelded the roof. I've read on some other posts that they have had poor welds on the roof joints.
I think that was the problem with my 08 Sport. The dealer merely re glued the weather strips that cover the welds. That lasted about a year then started in again. I wound up trading the car in.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Angry Brand new leaking 2015 patriot

I bought a new 2015 jeep patriot latitude in February while it was covered in snow and ice and the first time I washed it I noticed water raining through the dome light before I even rinsed the car off.. The dealer sealed the roof racks and returned my car and when I tried to finish washing my car it began raining through the dome light again so we retuned the car to the dealer. They said they resealed the racks and replaced a grommet and ran water for 45 minutes which was obviously a lie because it was still filthy as when we dropped it off. When we began to hand wash it again the water immediately began running through the dome light again. I asked them how they could have run water over it for 45 minutes without streaking the dirt or flooding my car when it floods in 30 seconds of water rinsing my roof... They had no answer and now are replacing a hinge which they say is a painted part so has to go to the body shop...I have owned the car for 1 1/2 months and have been driving a rental most of it...I told them I would not accept the car back without a replacement headliner and I want to see the one they pulled from my car due to mildew risk...they agreed....I am looking into the lemon law as this has been an ongoing issue and I paid 27,000 dollars for this vehicle...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM

That's bullsh*t, you pay that much for a new vehicle, you expect it to be good-to-go from the get go. Leaks like this was common in the earlier models, as is evident from members that have complained in the threads, but a 2015 shouldn't have this issue. I would definitely pursue the Lemon Law on this, get a good lawyer, and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:27 PM

My 2015 was also leaking from the dome light 2 days after bringing it home. The dealership said it was the windshield molding and replaced it. Got it back yesterday and last night it rained heavy. Went out at 7:30 this morning and checked it along with driving it around and no leak so far. Will continue to keep a watch on it.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM

37,000.00 for it...
Old 04-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Homac, any chance you can repost that Leak Detection Pdf? I have seen it on several posts, but all are broken links now and my husband and I are trying desperately to troubleshoot the leak on his 2014 Patriot we bought new last month and I think it would be super helpful! The dealer has tried fixing it twice and we have tried once, so far the obvious fixes have not worked. It only leaks through the rear dome light and only a tiny bit of the headliner gets wet, so we are at a loss as to what could be leaking now.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 AM

My 2014 had a leak a couple weeks after I brought it home. It was pouring through the front dome light, more of a waterfall than a leak. The dealer replaced the sunroof seals and I've been leak free since, about 1 year.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot. i have discovered that the sunroof will not have a water tight seal. thats why the drain tubes are there. however the drain tubes are about the width of a small straw. so they cannot drain water fast enough during a heavy rain. this is a design flaw on Chryslers part and its up to us to report the problems directly to them so they can issue a recall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
leak, leaking, rain, water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in