5 Speed Manual Transaxle/Transmission Fluid Change - Page 5 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Maintenance General maintenance articles for the Patriot.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Hello Everyone sorry for being talking a not good english but anyway hope you understand me, i Have a 2012 Jeep Patriot Limited Automatic 2.4L Dual VVT 4x4, once i have changed my transmission oil and i put (CVTF+4) but my car is Grinding and shaking and not good when changing gears, had i been put the completable oil ? please help me
is the right oil is (ATF+4)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 04:12 PM

ATF+4 is not the correct fluid for a CVT. See this post for info on the fluid changing process.....

https://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/sho...&highlight=CVT

'17 Renegade
'16 Challenger
'15 Grand Cherokee
'07 Crossfire Roadster
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM

I noticed I had a transaxle fluid leak while working under my Patriot manual 4x4 2008. I noticed the fill plug on my transaxle housing says "oil" on it… and my oil drain plug is an aftermarket. Just wondering if anyone knew the difference between the 2 plugs. Trying to figure out if the wrong plug could be causing my leak. I know that tran fluid reacts to gaskets and seals differently, and the drain plug is wrapped in red rubber. Does anyone know what the original fill plug looks like? Does it have the same rubber seal as the drain plug, or what type of seal did it have? I know it has torque specifications, so it's probably designed differently than the Oil drain plug regardless of having the same thread count and diameter. I will probably switch the oil plug back to it's original place, and replace the trans plug with an appropriate one if this sounds like it might be causing my leak. Most of the fluid leak appears to be around the area of that plug, so I am very suspicious.
I've already had to track down a bolt that held a bracket on my ETC because someone simply left it off. That lead to a ruined ETC from all the vibrating I'm sure. When you buy a used vehicle, you can only pray that idiots didn't work on it previously… Sometimes you just don't get that lucky…
Thanks for any replies!

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joooblooo View Post
I noticed I had a transaxle fluid leak while working under my Patriot manual 4x4 2008. I noticed the fill plug on my transaxle housing says "oil" on it… and my oil drain plug is an aftermarket. Just wondering if anyone knew the difference between the 2 plugs. Trying to figure out if the wrong plug could be causing my leak. I know that tran fluid reacts to gaskets and seals differently, and the drain plug is wrapped in red rubber. Does anyone know what the original fill plug looks like? Does it have the same rubber seal as the drain plug, or what type of seal did it have? I know it has torque specifications, so it's probably designed differently than the Oil drain plug regardless of having the same thread count and diameter. I will probably switch the oil plug back to it's original place, and replace the trans plug with an appropriate one if this sounds like it might be causing my leak. Most of the fluid leak appears to be around the area of that plug, so I am very suspicious.
I've already had to track down a bolt that held a bracket on my ETC because someone simply left it off. That lead to a ruined ETC from all the vibrating I'm sure. When you buy a used vehicle, you can only pray that idiots didn't work on it previously… Sometimes you just don't get that lucky…
Thanks for any replies!

and this is why i do most of my own work. anything else gets to be checked over immediately once done by me for correctness....

i have caught many a blunder this way. and made whoever do the work fix properly.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

2017 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 6spd auto FD! Billet Silver yoko geolandar ats G015's 215/70R16 on stock steelies
e-trailer 2" receiver hitch. wet okole seat covers
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM

no pics here either

2008 Patriot 2.4L 4wd 5-speed MT
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM

I am curious if anyone with a manual transmission has had an issue i've had since new, now have 76k on it. When in first gear, if I speed up, between 2 and 3k RPMS, and let off hte gas, the engine slows with the low gear but then POPS out of first gear and into neutral. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and they said nothing was wrong. It tends to happen once a month or so when I forget to take it out manually from 1st. No adverse affects seem to have been caused from this though.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-Riot11 View Post
I am curious if anyone with a manual transmission has had an issue i've had since new, now have 76k on it. When in first gear, if I speed up, between 2 and 3k RPMS, and let off hte gas, the engine slows with the low gear but then POPS out of first gear and into neutral. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and they said nothing was wrong. It tends to happen once a month or so when I forget to take it out manually from 1st. No adverse affects seem to have been caused from this though.
This happens to our 2010 Pat. It's very dangerous pulling out in first gear from a side road onto a major road as I've had the tranny pop out of first gear halfway into the turn!! Now for safety I keep my hand on the gear knob and push "up" a bit to keep it in first for sure. Crazy, we've only ever owned manual tranny cars for 30 years (geez has it been that long?) and no other vehicle has ever exhibited this pop out thing.

btw, bought ours new, then the tranny was repaired by the dealer, just before the 80,000 km warranty expired, for a noisy failing bearing. Has since behaved fine, has stayed quiet, except for the first gear pop out. And on we go to the next adventure...
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 PM

Just changed my trans fluid using motomaster atf+4. I used about 3.45l and filled from the top until it overflow from the side overflow hole.

I remove the driver side wheel, the air filter housing both pieces and the splash guard underneath except the passenger side 2 plugs.

Oil was bright and somewhat clear but I found some sludge as I disposed of it.

I have 100k miles/160k km on mine.

Lifted 4X4 FDI Jeep Patriot 2009
5 Speed Manual
Jeep Green
Pebble Beige Interior
North Edition+North Special+Wheel&Tire+Sat Radio
*Michelin X-Ice xi2, Black muffler mod, Class III Hitch, Custom rear carpet, Front air deflector, 14" black antenna, SportRack Expedition Cargo Box, HD CRDSTU Coils Springs

Last edited by Plumonium; 06-30-2017 at 06:32 PM.
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:22 PM

I decided to top off the fluid in my new to me 2014 Patriot 5 speed. I just did it in the driveway without jacking it up. I used a fat syringe (probably 100ml or so) with a hose on the end. I taped a really long screwdriver to the side of the hose so I could direct it into the side fill hole. I turned the steering wheel all the way to the right, then used long bent needle nose pliers to pull the rubber plug out, and re-install it. I filled the syringe a few times until the fluid ran out of the hole. I used 80W90 synthetic gear oil that I had lying around, and it probably took about 250ml or so. The fluid that ran out appeared to be red ATF.

I know ATF+4 is spec, but I've ordered Redline MTL 75W80 synthetic gear lube that I will be installing in the spring. From the reading that I've done, I suspect that ATF was specified for fuel economy, cold weather shift quality and convenience and cost on the production line...not for bearing life, which seems to be the weak point of these transmissions.
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:55 AM

You have got a pair my friend!
I am looking to change my differential fluids with synthetics, but nervous about the specifically mentioned use of non-synthetics in the gear box. I don't see how synthetics can hate differential. What say you about that.
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubian View Post
You have got a pair my friend!
I am looking to change my differential fluids with synthetics, but nervous about the specifically mentioned use of non-synthetics in the gear box. I don't see how synthetics can hate differential. What say you about that.
By the way, my Patriot is FWD. Redine MTL, ATF+4, and the 80W90 I topped up with are all synthetic. I suspect you're referring to the rear differential and/or the transfer case on a 4x4. I wouldn't hesitate to replace 80W90 conventional with synthetic, but it would have to be GL-5 spec which has the full extreme pressure additive package. For example, the synthetic Valvoline 80W90 I topped up with is only GL-4, which has a much lower amount of extreme pressure additives which can be corrosive to brass synchros found in a transmission. Redline makes a 75W90 GL-5 synthetic.
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:09 PM

The manufacturers all want their vehicles to have a low "Cost of Ownership" number. That's why they specify long oil change intervals, lifetime coolant and transmission fills, and cheap fluids where possible. This has gotten some manufacturers in trouble. For example at one point Mini specified a 15000 mile oil change interval. Engines were self destructing left and right due to sludge and simply running out of oil. I had a 2009 Cooper, and the oil was black after 5000kms (not miles). So Mini finally reduced the interval to 10000 miles, but that's still way too long.

I suspect that conventional gear oil (and ATF for the trans) was specified for the Patriot because it's cheap, and they wanted to make sure that whoever calculates cost of ownership, doesn't do so using the good stuff. When I look at a manufacturers recommendations, I take them with a grain of salt and try to see them with this in mind. A transmission failure doesn't factor into Jeep's cost of ownership number, but it does factor into my yearly budget.

Last edited by 2014PatriotNorth; 12-23-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Changed the fluid this eve. The airbox removal is 30 seconds, and makes it easy. Previous owner drove this 07 Patriot with about half the needed fluid, which was totally dark. I filled just over 3 bottles and only got 2 out (roughly 1/3 of a gallon milk jug's worth).
Jeep drives and much less bouncy, accelerates more linear as one would expect, and feels like a different vehicle!
Sandstone likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode