No wipers or lights or turn signals - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
No wipers or lights or turn signals

We just had a hail storm so I ran out to put my Riot in the garage and now the lights, wipers, and washer fluid don't work. What I did was jump in the Jeep, start it, release the brake, put it in reverse, and back it into the garage. Once in the garage I was going to use the wipers to wick the rain off the windshield and nothing happened. I turned the lever several times and nothing. The DRL's were on but when I turned the lever for the lights, they didn't come on and nothing happens when I flick the bright light lever. Also have no working turn signals or windshield washer fluid operation. Any ideas? Oh yeah, and I scraped the side of the garage door so now I have a lovely long scrap down the passenger side rear. #@!#$%^@#@!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
jack.allwardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,453
 
Sorry about the scratch! We've (well, most us..) have done something like that.

Have you checked the fuses? I don't believe that they are all on the same circuit, but for it to stop working all at once...

As they are not all on the same stalk, probably can rule out a loose connection. Anyone else with ideas?


Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
jack.allwardt is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ImNoPrince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B-More,Md
Posts: 159
 
I bet a few fuses came loose when you slammed your hand on the Dash for scrapping the wall.

It could be a loose wire they may all be on the same Bus line for the fuse junction.

I'm not sure but i would start there. Also if it's a computer problem (seems like the Pat is very computer dependent)I would remove the battery terminal for a minute then reattach to see if that will do a reset .
ImNoPrince is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
Sorry about the scratch! We've (well, most us..) have done something like that.

Have you checked the fuses? I don't believe that they are all on the same circuit, but for it to stop working all at once...

As they are not all on the same stalk, probably can rule out a loose connection. Anyone else with ideas?
Not really sure how to check the fuses but I don't have replacement fuses to even test. The alarm still works, the DRL's, dome light and rear cargo light, radio, cruise control and EVIC are all fine. I'm wondering if something has gone wrong in the wiring harness the dealership replaced in order to get the added on cruise control to work. Jeez Louise! I swore off the closest dealership but the next closest is 20 miles away.

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 36
 
Definitely the fuse, all those items would probably run off of an intermittent relay running off of the same fuse... Heck on that note it could be the relay. Hopefully there isn't any exposed wires under your hood that let the electronics arc, it'd probably be something we all have to worry about.
b_wright12 is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_wright12 View Post
Definitely the fuse, all those items would probably run off of an intermittent relay running off of the same fuse... Heck on that note it could be the relay. Hopefully there isn't any exposed wires under your hood that let the electronics arc, it'd probably be something we all have to worry about.
All of your replies are making me feel a bit better. If it's just a fuse that's not such a big thing but if it's that wiring harness I'm gonna be ticked. 12 days at the dealership to install that thing. I am not mechanically inclined so I really have no choice but to take it to the service department and hope they don't find anything major.

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
 
jpjeepguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 177
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_wright12 View Post
Definitely the fuse, all those items would probably run off of an intermittent relay running off of the same fuse... .
Probably not a fuse- from the repair manual:

MODULE-STEERING CONTROL DESCRIPTION

This vehicle is equipped with a Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) The SCCM is secured near the top of the steering column below the steering wheel and is completely concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. It is
installed as a modular unit that supports the left (lighting) multi-function switch (1) and right (wiper) multi-function switch (6). The controls for each of these switches extend through appropriate clearance holes provided in the
steering column shrouds. The microprocessor-based Steering Control Module (SCM) (2) utilizes integrated circuitry and information carried on the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus along with several hard wired analog and multiplexed inputs to monitor both the right and left multi-function switches. The SCCM uses a Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus for
exterior lighting and wiper functions. The LIN data is sent to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and the CCN then sends it out on the CAN data bus (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/COMMUNICATION - DESCRIPTION - CAN BUS). The SCCM is available for service replacement as a unit or each individual component:

1 Clockspring (with integral Steering Angle Sensor if equipped)
2 Left Multi-Function Switch
3 Right Multi-Function Switch

OPERATION

The Steering Control Module (SCM) communicates over the Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus with other electronic modules in the vehicle and/or a diagnostic scan tool. The horn switch circuits pass through the clockspring to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and the CCN sends a CAN message to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) to control the horn. The CCN stores Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) for the SCM. The right (wiper) multi-function switch has several inputs to the CCN.
The SCM is connected to a fused B(+) circuit and receives a path to ground at all times. These connections allow it to remain functional regardless of the ignition switch position. The driver airbag squib circuits of the clockspring,
the horn, and the speed control switch circuits pass through the SCM, but the SCM does not monitor, and has no control outputs related to these circuits. Any other input to the SCM that would cause a vehicle system to function but does not require that the ignition switch be in the On position, such as turning on the lights or sounding the horn, prompts the SCM to wake up and transmit on the CAN data bus.

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the SCM, the CAN data bus, the hard wired inputs or the electronic communication related to SCM operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the
appropriate diagnostic information. The integral SCM is not available for separate service replacement. If found inoperative or defective, the entire left (lighting) multi-function switch must be replaced (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).
jpjeepguy is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjeepguy View Post
Probably not a fuse- from the repair manual:

MODULE-STEERING CONTROL DESCRIPTION

This vehicle is equipped with a Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) The SCCM is secured near the top of the steering column below the steering wheel and is completely concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. It is
installed as a modular unit that supports the left (lighting) multi-function switch (1) and right (wiper) multi-function switch (6). The controls for each of these switches extend through appropriate clearance holes provided in the
steering column shrouds. The microprocessor-based Steering Control Module (SCM) (2) utilizes integrated circuitry and information carried on the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus along with several hard wired analog and multiplexed inputs to monitor both the right and left multi-function switches. The SCCM uses a Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus for
exterior lighting and wiper functions. The LIN data is sent to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and the CCN then sends it out on the CAN data bus (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/COMMUNICATION - DESCRIPTION - CAN BUS). The SCCM is available for service replacement as a unit or each individual component:

1 Clockspring (with integral Steering Angle Sensor if equipped)
2 Left Multi-Function Switch
3 Right Multi-Function Switch

OPERATION

The Steering Control Module (SCM) communicates over the Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus with other electronic modules in the vehicle and/or a diagnostic scan tool. The horn switch circuits pass through the clockspring to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) and the CCN sends a CAN message to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) to control the horn. The CCN stores Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s) for the SCM. The right (wiper) multi-function switch has several inputs to the CCN.
The SCM is connected to a fused B(+) circuit and receives a path to ground at all times. These connections allow it to remain functional regardless of the ignition switch position. The driver airbag squib circuits of the clockspring,
the horn, and the speed control switch circuits pass through the SCM, but the SCM does not monitor, and has no control outputs related to these circuits. Any other input to the SCM that would cause a vehicle system to function but does not require that the ignition switch be in the On position, such as turning on the lights or sounding the horn, prompts the SCM to wake up and transmit on the CAN data bus.

The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose the SCM, the CAN data bus, the hard wired inputs or the electronic communication related to SCM operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the
appropriate diagnostic information. The integral SCM is not available for separate service replacement. If found inoperative or defective, the entire left (lighting) multi-function switch must be replaced (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).
Great! Great! Great! Argh! On my way to the dealership right now and I will mention this. Thanks.

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
todde702's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Roslyn, PA
Posts: 5,441
  
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Could be just a loose ground wire to the module as well.

-Todd
08 Sport 4x4 FDI Silver, CRD Stu's Coil Springs, Mud Flaps, Weathertech vent shades, TAG Rear Bumper
Carr Lightwing, Pilot Navigator Driving Lights, K&N Air Filter and a jp.com decal

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
todde702 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
jack.allwardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 3,453
 
Well, since some functions are on the LH stalk, some are on the RH stalk, and the cruise is another item--it must be a connector under the dash that interfaces with the steering column.

I know, I hate going to the dealer--mine is only 32 miles away, but when I have a local shop--that I trust--5 minutes away, sometimes I pay the tarrif!

Good luck on fixing all this--perhaps your insurance company can "determine" that the scratch caused all this! Once I hit a deer on the road and then my car wouldn't start--seemed that the impact caused the connector on the starter relay to come off!


Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
jack.allwardt is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Jpjeepguy and Todde hit it right out of the ballpark. It was a loose wire to the steering column control module. The service manager said most likely it was related to them installing the new wiring harness a few months back. You guys gave me good luck because the scratch turned out to be just a surface scrape and they buffed it out at no charge and I can't even see any damage. I've had so much trouble with this service department in the past and today it was a complete turn around. I guess after my last visit and conversation with the general manager they decided to step up their game. I finally got to use one of those 5 free oil change coupons they gave me months ago. Thanks again everyone!

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
luffing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 631
 
I don't have a clue about your stuff not working, but, I might mention scraping the side of the garage while backing in might put you in the two drink maximum category...
luffing is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
 
Oktazcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Posts: 1,060
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luffing View Post
I don't have a clue about your stuff not working, but, I might mention scraping the side of the garage while backing in might put you in the two drink maximum category...
It would also put me in the category of saying some not very ladylike words.

There are plenty of charities for the homeless. Isn't it time somebody helped the homely? - Dolly Parton
Oktazcat is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
jcollins1888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 265
 
Send a message via AIM to jcollins1888
that just happened to me tonight and i dont know why...ggrr!!!
jcollins1888 is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
 
Ok, New here, but have intermitten issues with headlights, turn signals and wipers. Found the information below

This vehicle is equipped with a Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) The SCCM is secured near the top of the steering column below the steering wheel and is completely concealed beneath the steering column shrouds.


But, how do I remove the shroud with out resorting to "Hulk Smash!"
pshovar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome