No wipers or lights or turn signals - Page 3 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timt View Post
I have got a sporadic problem of this kind with my 2007 Patriot but in my case (and, perhaps, HOLSTEIN83 had the same situation) it definitely depends on the cabin temperature. In a cold day (like 10F) I would need to spend 10-15 minutes warming up the cabin before the switches start working as supposed and before that I can observe all the symptoms described above - the lights, wipers, and washer fluid aren't working. And, then, boom, they begin working just fine.

In a warmer day (like 40F) it may take just 1-2 minutes after the hot air starts coming to the cabin to make the switches work. And if I leave the car and come back in less then an hour (while the engine and the cabin are relatively warm), they continue working no problem.

I have been observing this for about 2 months so far, so it's definitely temperature-related.

At the beginning I tried resetting the computer but it did not really help. Also, it doesn't look like a loose wire. Any ideas, folks?
I finally bought a replacement for the left switch and installed it myself. It took about $ 40 and 30 minutes. The only trick was a proper part number as there were four slightly different switches .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM

...and when installing the multi-function left-hand stalk you have to make sure your steering wheel is straight because the mechanism that automatically kicks off your signal light when you straighten your wheels is somehow related.

I learned the hard way and realized my signal light wouldn't shut off. Just had to re-install it with the wheels straight and all is good.

Where I'm going I won't need no stinking roads!!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass with same issues out of the blue, no wiper, main head light, or signal light. Removed the negative terminal on the battery as suggested and put it back on, everything started working again.
Rocketken likes this.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivmce View Post
!AS A precaution before you start disconnect the positive battery terminal before you start to prevent triggering the airbag
Always Always Always disconnect the negative battery cable first when working on a car. If you try do disconnect the positive cable first and your wrench touches any grounded part of the car you run the very real risk of the battery shorting and exploding.

Did I mention ALWAYS disconnect the negative cable first ?
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM

I'm having a similar problem, but I'm pretty sure I know a cause for my situation. I have a 2009 Patriot with a sunroof. I have grown to hate the sunroof, because all it leads to is a dome light full of rainwater which eventually leaks out onto the radio.

Saturday night we got about 3 inches of rain in 2 hours. I don't even think properly cleared sunroof drain lines could have kept up with it, but nonetheless, I had basically a steady stream of water pouring into the cabin. As a result, here are my issues:

The display on the radio is blank. It will *sometimes* display initially when the car turns on, but then gives out. All of the controls on the radio (well, those I've tested) still work.

The display where the compass direction is normally shown just shows "--" (As I write this, I realize I didn't bother to check if I press that button if I can still get the tire pressure, etc)

Neither of the MFS work. No signals, no wipers, no headlights, no high beams. Cruise seems unaffected.

I checked several fuses, and they all checked out well.

From the rest of the thread, I'm guessing it's worth trying to:

1) Disconnect the (-) battery terminal, reconnect, and see if that resets the computer circuit, failing that
2) Replace the LH MFS and see if the problem was in the SCCM which would affect both MFS

Anything else I should be looking at?
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM

I have a 2008 Cherokee.... having a similar issue with the headlights being on, no wipers, dimmer control not working no signals. Everyone is saying M/F switch but I'm confused.... the lights and signals are on the left switch and the wipers are on the right.....how can it be just the one switch?....

I am currently trying the battery disconnect as it was the fix for another (different) issue a couple years back.....in that case all the idiot lights on the dash lit up and lost some of the same controls as this time.....
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Disconnecting the Neg battery terminal worked for me today with this no-signals/no-wipers problem; obviously resetting something. For a computer or relay to be between me and my wipers and turn signals is a dangerous design flaw. I see where people have replaced the left side switch stalk to fix the problem. As doing that replacement involves disconnecting the battery, I question whether the switch replacement was the actual fix. Time will tell. If the problem recurs for me, I'll report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode