Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Hit object in road now horn doesn't work 2016 patriot

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mr_et2 
#1 ·
I ran over an object on road and dented bumper. Car runs fine but horn doesn't work. Looking for info before I go to mechanic

#2 ·
It's pretty easy and quick to remove the front bumper cover, and videos on YouTube showing how. The horn is located behind the bumper on the left side. It's possible that hitting something hard enough to dent the bumper could either knock a wire off or damage the horn.

If it were me, after I ruled out a fuse/relay problem, I would pick up an inexpensive universal type horn at a local parts store, pop off the bumper cover and check it out. If the horn was damaged, I'd replace it. If it was just a wire I'd reconnect it and return the new horn.

Reactions: RossoRacer
#3 ·
Actually, you can access the horn via the left front fender--just crank the wheel to the side--your choice, and remove screws that hold the fender liner in place. You don't have to remove the entire liner--just enough to see the horn. Good luck! (And...I like the idea of having a new horn ready to install, as you wouldn't want to waste all that effort twice!) Food for thought: The stock horn sounds like a 50's VW. Buy a two tone horn, and fabricate a jumper to connect both horns to the car's wiring--I've done this on my two Patriots.

#4 ·
I think that the stock horn sounds kinda pathetic... just my opinion... and I actually wired in an additional horn. The additional horn I used came from hornblasters.com, It's a self contained air horn. I mounted it above the radiator and wired it in thru a relay. It's a real attention getter!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.