How to ignore GASCAP error message ? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dontbejeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation How to ignore GASCAP error message ?

Hi,

I recently got a second hand 2008 Jeep Patriot, I love it but for the past week, the error message GASCAP has been showing up on the dashboard (where I would normally see the mileage or temperature), I've tried unscrewing and rescrewing the gas cap in every possible way. It holds fine and I don't see any problem, I would jsut like to have this message ignored (just as I would like to have the yellow indicator light about tire pressure ignored, as I don't have the sensors on my tires).

Are there any ways to get the GASCAP message ignored so that it stops showing up everytime I strat the car ? (and same question for the tire pressure indicator).

Thank you!
-Yannick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 PM

Garage
Check for rust around the filler neck. Or it may just need a new gas cap.

As for the TPM have you checked the pressure in your spare? If your spare is flat you may wanna get it fixed before you need it on a rainy night in some obscure place.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ignatz, there is indeed some rust around the filler neck, but the gas cap still locks in fine. So I would just like to have the message ignored, but I guess I can't do that, can I? Same idea for the tires, they are all fine, it's just that I don't have the sensors on them, so I constantly get the TPM light on my dashboard, and I would jut like to have that light ignored if possible.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
As for the TPM have you checked the pressure in your spare? If your spare is flat you may wanna get it fixed before you need it on a rainy night in some obscure place.
There's a TPM sensor for the spare? All spares including the compact? Interesting!

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
Replace the gas cap. They're cheap. Just because it goes on fine doesn't mean it is holding the pressure required by the fuel system. As for the TPMS light, There is no sensor in the spare. At least not on mine. I have a 2014 with a full size spare. I changed the spare to match the tires I am running currently and have changed it out once before. No TPMS sensor in the wheel. Either check in inflate the tires properly and if that doesn't make it go out, then have a tire shop diagnose and tell you which sensor is not reading. They use lithium watch batteries and do go bad. They can also be found for pretty cheap and having a bad unit replaced shouldn't cost more than 50-60 bucks all done.
Ignoring these messages can only lead to other issues farther down the line. Take care of them now while they are still cheap, easy fixes.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks DangerAaron, I took your advice and just ordered a new gas cap on eBay. As for the TPM light, I don't think I actually have sensors in any of my 4 regular tires, but if it's important to have, I can certainly also order a set of sensors to install.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phybot View Post
I don't think I actually have sensors in any of my 4 regular tires, but if it's important to have, I can certainly also order a set of sensors to install.
Having vehicles with TPMS for years, I can tell you they are a very nice feature, and one not to just decide not to have if you have it. I have found out about leaks and other issues way ahead of time, before the tire actually went flat, and I do find that to be important!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks DangerAaron, I took your advice and just ordered a new gas cap on eBay. As for the TPM light, I don't think I actually have sensors in any of my 4 regular tires, but if it's important to have, I can certainly also order a set of sensors to install.
I hope the new gas cap fixes that issue. If the TPMS light bothers you then I would suggest getting the sensors. Did you change wheels and not have the sensors changed over? If you have regular repeating vehicle inspections in your state your going to have to either deactivate the light or replace the sensors anyway. The TPMS system is a federally mandated safety system now. Ever since Ford and Firestone teamed up to create acrobatic explorer that unexpectedly tried to do flips on the highway....

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info about the TPMS sensors, I bought my vehicle used and it just didn't have them when I got it, so that's why, and since I'm in Canada, we have to change the tires twice a year anyways, so tire pressure, etc. is regularly checked. DangerAaron, you mention possibly deactivating the light, how would I do that?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info about the TPMS sensors, I bought my vehicle used and it just didn't have them when I got it, so that's why, and since I'm in Canada, we have to change the tires twice a year anyways, so tire pressure, etc. is regularly checked. DangerAaron, you mention possibly deactivating the light, how would I do that?
Most that I know that do that use a piece of black electrical tape placed neatly over it....

Or you could go through the process of removing the bulb if possible. You cannot actually "deactivate" the system. Or the chime that sounds. At least that I know of. But, in Virginia, we have annual inspections and if the TPMS light is on they can fail you. So people get creative in finding ways to make that light "invisible". I am in no way endorsing such actions (of course), just pointing out that I know it happens.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM

The rust on the sealing surface of the neck is hurting the seal and making the Evaporative Emissions Test fail. Just replacing the cap
won't solve it for long (if at all.) You have to sand the sealing surface of the neck ( 600 or finer grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat
block ) till it's cleared of rust.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM

I still do not think you should disable something just because you find it annoying. I check my tire pressure all the time religiously as well, just to make sure it is working, and it is what you should do. The point, however, is that it tells you when you have a flat when you are not expecting it. Getting the tires changed all the time should not affect it, either, as it is part of the valve stem, not the tire. In other words, you change the tire, the TPMS stays intact. The most you will have to do is make sure the battery is good in it.

Whoever sold you the vehicle did you a disservice by removing the TPMS, as it is part of the vehicle, not just some aftermarket accessory.
breadtruck likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtom View Post
The rust on the sealing surface of the neck is hurting the seal and making the Evaporative Emissions Test fail. Just replacing the cap
won't solve it for long (if at all.) You have to sand the sealing surface of the neck ( 600 or finer grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat
block ) till it's cleared of rust.
I had gascap on for a few weeks and then pulled the electrical connector for the Fuel Vapor Pump, cleaned it, dielectric grease and checked the hoses. It has fixed my light for a week now. YouTube video showing pump change. https://youtu.be/dObL8DKpfjI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode