Additional 12V outlets - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

3Likes
  • 1 Post By lttlfeller
  • 2 Post By Jeeper81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Additional 12V outlets

Hello all, has anyone decided to add 12V outlets to their Patriots? Mine is a sport with only one "cigarette lighter" style outlet in the dash and a USB port in the glovebox. I would like to add another port in the glovebox I can leave my GPS plugged in to and one in the rear for any charging lights and batteries.
If anyone has made any mods like this and has pictures I'm looking for some insperation.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:26 PM

I have a 2016 Patriot Sport and I added two outlets to mine. I put 12v power outlet in the front of the center console and a dual USB outlet at the back of the console, facing the back seat. For power I tapped into the hot wire under the drivers seat (I think it's for the power seat), it's always hot so it stays on when the ignition is off. The wire is red with a yellow stripe and it's a heavier gauge wire than the the others under the drivers seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_160635_1514844841955.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	76673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_160532_1514845358874.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	76681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_162156_1514845385646.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	76689  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 AM

What are the specs on those rear USB ports? 500ma, 1A, or 2.1A?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:36 PM

Each port is 2.1 amps, total of 4.2. Here's the one I used:

BlueFire 4.2A Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet 2.1A & 2.1A with Voltmeter for iPad iPhone Car Boat Marine Mobile Blue LED Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F3I117E..._QmdtAbR902NS5
jack.allwardt likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:04 AM

That's a good mod for any older OOW (Out-Of-Warranty) Patriots without the aux power outlet in the front of the console, though yours is newer and obviously has it. I decided to go with an Anker 4-port USB wall-charger plugged into the outlet and some Anker Power+ microUSB cables. I have no need for another 12v, since few things still use those and my GPS (and everything else I can plug in) runs off of USB or the aux power outlet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlfeller View Post
I have a 2016 Patriot Sport and I added two outlets to mine. I put 12v power outlet in the front of the center console and a dual USB outlet at the back of the console, facing the back seat. For power I tapped into the hot wire under the drivers seat (I think it's for the power seat), it's always hot so it stays on when the ignition is off. The wire is red with a yellow stripe and it's a heavier gauge wire than the the others under the drivers seat
I like the additions you've made, looks clean and made good use of an otherwise dead power lead.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that you'll need to use USB cables that are a bit longer than you might ordinarily use with devices because the plug is installed very low, which will create tension on the smaller length (1ft-3ft)cables, which can break the plug easily, if subjected to sudden force from a dropped device or yanked cable. I'd recommend 4ft-6ft cables designed for durability, such as the Anker Power+, which come in microUSB, USB-C, and Lightning varieties. You may also want to get a 12v extension cable - yes, they exist - in case you need to plug in something in the back of the vehicle and you've already got the rear port in use or one of the 12v outlets is damaged.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:04 PM

Garage
Here's where I put a couple in my Patriot. Mine does not have the 110VAC inverter, so I tapped into the wire connector that would have been used to feed the inverter. Had to remove the console to install everything, but that was actually really simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_205406_Burst01.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	77937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170610_205313.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	77945  

2014 Patriot Sport FDII
2015 Honda NC700XDA
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Sorry for digging this up but i will be hopefully adding some extra sockets to my Patriot soon and was glad to find this thread. I can def see doing the sockets on the back of the console but not so sure on the front where the inverter would be as i may attempt to retrofit the OE inverter at a later point. I am not sure if it was on this forum or another but i recall seeing where someone added one in the tray in the dash above the glove box as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 PM

Garage
You don't need a inverter if adding more 12v outlets - just tap into an existing source or into a spare fuse.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
You don't need a inverter if adding more 12v outlets - just tap into an existing source or into a spare fuse.
I found a Compass in a junkyard with the inverter and pulled it for my Patriot. When I was planning out the install for it and the rear 12v outlets it dawned on me that I'll more than likely never use the inverter and decided to put an extra 12v outlet in its place. I'm glad I did, as it's used ALL THE TIME. But I can definitely see someone needing an inverter.

2014 Patriot Sport FDII
2015 Honda NC700XDA
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 PM

If you're going to do the inverter install on a Patriot that doesn't have the factory option, you might be able to use the more useful full plug (with ground) part from the Cherokee. The specs seem to match up with the Patriot, but it has some wiring differences and the cover goes down instead of up, so you won't be able to use wall-type plug-ins, like the kind used for phone charging.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:56 PM

The main reason i am planning on installing the OE Inverter is because i occasionally work out of the Jeep on sites doing security work and would be using it to keep my laptop charged up during the shifts. So at this point im thinking i may run the Inverter and install sockets on the back of the console and possibly one inside the console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode