08 Jeep Patriot Driverside Headlight not working - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

08 Jeep Patriot Driverside Headlight not working

Hello,

Noticed yesterday that the driverside headlight on my 2008 jeep patriot driverside headlight was not working in both high and low beams, replaced with new lamp, same.
Swapped working passenger lamp, same - no light.

Anybody else have this issue before? Just happened yesterday and I haven't had much time to delve further but just from googling seems it may be a bad ground or totally new to me the tipm box.
ergh!

Any advice as to where to look for driver side ground or any other tips be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I finally had more time to look into this and it seems I have a bad ground wire. I tested the ground wire and I got no readings. I snipped the ground and I made a temp. patch cable and connected it to the negative of the battery and the light worked.

I have no idea where this ground leads. I probed the wire to ground and nothing.

My question is this, can I just splice a new ground wire to the snipped ground end of the socket to a body ground? I plan on soldering the splice and use heatshrink.

Any concerns?

Thanks!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Yes, that would be a quick fix! I believe a lot of grounds find a common home under the battery box--neat design <error>, right?! For the purposes of future issues--I'd track down this ground--you may be able to fix more than one current or potential problem. And, when you do fasten a ground to the chassis, don't forget the "external star" lock wash washer between the connection and the chassis. A long time-honored tradition in the avionics and computer industries. Good luck!

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 PM

I have a similar issue but it's not a power issue. A voltage test shows power till a bulb is plugged in and then it's instantly shut off. Very annoying. Have relays ordered to transfer switch from working side. I think it's the tipm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwinter View Post
Update:

I finally had more time to look into this and it seems I have a bad ground wire. I tested the ground wire and I got no readings. I snipped the ground and I made a temp. patch cable and connected it to the negative of the battery and the light worked.

I have no idea where this ground leads. I probed the wire to ground and nothing.

My question is this, can I just splice a new ground wire to the snipped ground end of the socket to a body ground? I plan on soldering the splice and use heatshrink.

Any concerns?

Thanks!
I have this same problem except with the passenger side headlight, and turn signal. I also think the passenger side windshield washer nozzle is affected as well. I changed the bulbs thinking it was a simple fix. The headlight doesn't work, nor does turn signal light as an evening running light. The turn signal does work when the blinker is turned on, but is super dim and flashes fast still.

Is there a single fuse for the passenger side lights and the passenger side washer nozzle?

Any and all advise welcome. Not really sure what to do at this point.

Thanks.

2008 4WD Jeep Patriot FDI. Steel Blue. Stock (atm...)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM

Hey. My passenger side bulb stopped working. New bulb didn't fix it I tested the socket and there is power to 1 wire, dim light or faint power to another and no power to the middle wire. If been working I this for a while and finally broke down and I'm asking for help. Please someone.

Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 PM

Sorry. I'm talking about passenger side headlight of course of a 2008 Patriot 2.4l.
Thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 PM

Just wondering. Is the middle or back wire the one u grounded to get the light to work and did u get max power from the other 2 wires when u tested them?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:05 AM

08 Jeep Patriot passenger side Headlight not working

Hello again. I'm just wondering if anyone has a minute to tell me how to quick fix this headlight problem. Is the middle wire the ground and can I splice into it and ground it to the chassis or engine to check if it is the ground? Thank you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello again. I'm just wondering if anyone has a minute to tell me how to quick fix this headlight problem. Is the middle wire the ground and can I splice into it and ground it to the chassis or engine to check if it is the ground? Thank you
The ground wire should be black with either a light green or pink stripe depending on left or right side.

You can download a PDF copy of the 2007 caliber manual here (essentially same as Patriot) and refer to section 8W-80-48 for info on connector pinouts.

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...2007-PM-SM.pdf

Last edited by Sandstone; 03-28-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in