2009 - 2017 Aftermarket Stereo Install Master Sheet - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2009 - 2017 Aftermarket Stereo Install Master Sheet

Thought it might be helpful to add to our database.

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, full custom headlights with projector retrofit, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, XS Power D3400 + D925, Weathertech air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, gloss black emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, auto-climate upgrade, stubby antenna, tinted quad taillights

Last edited by Booly; 04-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to update this post with the parts required to successfully install a new stereo. There are several options out there for installing an aftermarket radio for our vehicles and this list contains what I personally used on a 2017 Jeep Patriot Sport to get the job done.

The kit that I used is Metra brand model# 95-6511. It's about $8-12 and it fit ok. There are some gaps around the factory trim and this kit that isn't perfect, but what can you expect? It's aftermarket. I decided to give the kit a little more of an edge so I bought some carbon fiber wrap material and I wrapped the 2 pieces of the kit and it turned out to look pretty good. It's subtle and gives the kit a more textured, unique look. This kit is very simple and it is only 2 pieces of plastic that get screwed into each side of your new radio. See below for final look installed.

Metra Part # 95-6511 | Chrysler Dodge Dash kit | Metra Online

You will need an antenna adapter as well. I used the Metra brand model# 40-EU10. It's about $5-8. Just plug it in, nothing difficult here.

Metra Part # 40-EU10 | Volkswagen Antenna | Metra Online

For the wiring harness and factory integration, some of it depends on what trim level and stock stereo, but for the most part you will need to get what's called a CANbus interface. In this case I recommend the iDatalink Maestro RR module which allows an extremely simple way to hook up any aftermarket stereo with factory features as well as backup cameras, steering wheel controls, and access to OBDII system information (see image below for example) from your new radio screen. Install is super simple and only requires plugging in connectors into the module with the T-harness being the only wire splicing required. This unit runs about $100 and can be a DIY install as it really is super easy to do. See below for an easy to understand diagram on the install. The actual Maestro RR is the black box at the bottom right of the picture.

iDatalink - Maestro - Home

You will also need to purchase the T-harness that corresponds with your type of vehicle, in the Patriot's case, the Maestro RR requires harness model# ADS-HRN-RR-CH1. This is very easy to install and is shown in the above diagram. It requires you to splice wires from your new radio harness and the iDatalink harness which is no different than any other radio install. This harness is about $30.

iDatalink - Maestro - CH1

I also wanted to keep satellite radio as well as retain the use of the factory antenna that came with the Patriot. The Maestro RR allows you to do this by using a small wire adapter called the SAT1. This adapter is about $15. You also need to purchase the aftermarket satellite tuner model# SiriusXM SXV300v1 that must be connected to your aftermarket radio to still use SiriusXM. Also. at the time of this post, this tuner also comes with 3 free months of full access of SiriusXM. This tuner is about $40.

iDatalink - Maestro - SAT1
https://shop.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-s...cle-tuner.html

I purchased an aftermarket backup camera from Pioneer, model# ND-BC8 to go along with the in-dash screen I got. This camera is about $90. There is another post on this camera that discusses backup camera mounting locations that can go into more detail about how i chose to mount the camera. Ultimately I was able to use the cheap camera mount and still use the better quality Pioneer camera and it worked out very well.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...Cameras/ND-BC8

So in the end, after installation of all these parts, it came out to about $300. You can leave out what you don't need to save some money, like the sat radio and backup camera, but for this route, using the Maestro RR, you will need to spend about this much for a clean install.

If anyone is interested in the radio that I have installed, it is the Kenwood model# DMX7704S. It was just announced at CES 2017 in January and it finally was in stock at Crutchfield a few weeks back and I was lucky enough to snag one. This radio is considered a media player and although it does not have a disc reader to play disc formats, it has Android Auto, iDatalink compatibility as seen above, rapid USB charging, 7" screen, and tons of cool features. Check the links below.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/dmx7704s/
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX...-DMX7704S.html

I will try to answer back to any questions. And, I encourage others to share what they have used to complete their installs. I hope this helps!

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, full custom headlights with projector retrofit, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, XS Power D3400 + D925, Weathertech air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, gloss black emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, auto-climate upgrade, stubby antenna, tinted quad taillights

Last edited by Booly; 04-09-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:06 AM

Garage
Hey, are u able to use the DVD while driving, and if you are did you wire the cable to the e- brake or did you bypass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Where you able to retain usage of factory microphone? Mine has bluetooth for phone and I would like to be able to save where possible and continue to use factory mic for my phone if possible.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alacran60622 View Post
Hey, are u able to use the DVD while driving, and if you are did you wire the cable to the e- brake or did you bypass

The Kenwood media receiver I have installed does not actually have a disc drive to read CD's or DVD's. It's a sign of the times to discover that even a disc reader has become an option these days. I would even say it won't be long before discs are obsolete and if it was not for DVD's that are a bonus when purchasing Blu-ray discs, the DVD disc format would be hard to find for new content. Between Bluetooth and USB connections, I have not personally used a physical disc for some time now, spanning over the use of 2 different radios not including this one.

I am able to play any digital movie file using the USB connection from either my phone or a USB thumb drive/hard drive and I can play it while the vehicle is in motion if I ever needed to do that. In order for Kenwood receivers to bypass the E-brake requirement to view videos, you can simply connect a small O-ring to the shortened, light green wire from the Kenwood harness that should be labeled as "E-brake", unscrew one of the radio chassis screws, and then secure the O-ring by using the screw you just removed. See the image below taken from a youtube video that explains this procedure. Keep in mind that unless you also have a way to easily disconnect and re-connect the e-brake wire then you will need to unscrew this O-ring every time you needed to remove the harness from the radio for whatever future need you may have.

That's all it took to bypass the E-brake requirement to view video while in drive. In the video below, you will have to take my word for it when I say that I was in DRIVE while the movie was playing.

Last edited by Booly; 04-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by principalofawesome View Post
Where you able to retain usage of factory microphone? Mine has bluetooth for phone and I would like to be able to save where possible and continue to use factory mic for my phone if possible.
My factory radio did have the Bluetooth for phone and speech commands, but I opted out of retaining that feature by telling the Maestro RR during the firmware setup to not include Uconnect. My reason for this was that I plan on having my phone auto-connect to the Kenwood for phone calls and for taking advantage of voice commands using Android Auto and saying "OK Google" to help with the whole hands-free thing and I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. I didn't want to have to juggle 2 different voice command systems to have to connect to and using the aftermarket radio mic and Uconnect mic separately. Plus, I was unsure of how Uconnect would work if you removed the buttons on the radio that were used to activate/initiate the command system, and I have read a few places in forums that say trying to retain Uconnect features when using an aftermarket radio was a headache and not recommended as you have to use one or the other, they cannot be combined. It may be easy to do, and the Maestro does allow it, just look into how to function it.

I did like the sound quality of phone calls using Uconnect due to the mic being located at the rear-view mirror which helps a lot with road noise. Either that or the factory set-up was just tuned right or designed to sound well because I have heard calls on the other end and it was surprisingly good for a Bluetooth phone call in a moving car.

While installing my new radio, I noticed the instruction manual had pictures showing their recommended placement of the aftermarket mic and it was shown located above the steering column, in front of the speedometer. I figured it was worth a shot and still better than on the visor or clipped to the A-pillar. I could always route the new mic to the rear-view mirror to mimic the factory mic as possible, but I didn't want to get into routing the wire at the headliner, so I placed it at the steering column.

I will need more time to tell if the placement helps with sound quality on phone calls, but this was pretty easy to do and had a lot of left over wire since you don't need to go very far.
principalofawesome likes this.

Last edited by Booly; 04-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM

I could have used all of this a few weeks ago when I was installing mine.

Also, that carbon fiber wrap on the bezel looks freaking sweet. It gives it a premium look. Where'd you get the material?

Thanks for the write-up, Booly! This should DEFINITELY be stickied somewhere.
principalofawesome likes this.

Last edited by Riotous; 04-10-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacran60622 View Post

Another way to do this, if you don't have an O-Ring or some other contraption, is to just ground it by attaching the wire to the frame of the vehicle. There are two bolts directly behind the stereo (they're almost looking straight at you) that are attached to the frame. That's where I connected mine and it fixed this.
BLKJ33P likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotous View Post
Also, that carbon fiber wrap on the bezel looks freaking sweet. It gives it a premium look. Where'd you get the material?

Thanks! I thought it looked pretty good, too. It needed something to stand out. Super easy to apply as I used a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive to help reduce wrinkles and folds as I wrapped it around the exposed areas that you see.

Found it on Amazon for $8 for a 12" x 60" sheet. I have tons leftover since this application didn't use very much of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Riotous likes this.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 AM

@Ignatz could we have this stickied?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotous View Post
@Ignatz could we have this stickied?
I hope I did that right . . .
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
I hope I did that right . . .
Looks good to me. Thanks dude!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booly View Post
The Kenwood media receiver I have installed does not actually have a disc drive to read CD's or DVD's. It's a sign of the times to discover that even a disc reader has become an option these days. I would even say it won't be long before discs are obsolete and if it was not for DVD's that are a bonus when purchasing Blu-ray discs, the DVD disc format would be hard to find for new content. Between Bluetooth and USB connections, I have not personally used a physical disc for some time now, spanning over the use of 2 different radios not including this one.

I am able to play any digital movie file using the USB connection from either my phone or a USB thumb drive/hard drive and I can play it while the vehicle is in motion if I ever needed to do that. In order for Kenwood receivers to bypass the E-brake requirement to view videos, you can simply connect a small O-ring to the shortened, light green wire from the Kenwood harness that should be labeled as "E-brake", unscrew one of the radio chassis screws, and then secure the O-ring by using the screw you just removed. See the image below taken from a youtube video that explains this procedure. Keep in mind that unless you also have a way to easily disconnect and re-connect the e-brake wire then you will need to unscrew this O-ring every time you needed to remove the harness from the radio for whatever future need you may have.

That's all it took to bypass the E-brake requirement to view video while in drive. In the video below, you will have to take my word for it when I say that I was in DRIVE while the movie was playing.

Thanks a lot, this did work.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 PM

installed new stereo system. Now the airbag light and chime comes on when I drive. Any ideas on how to fix this or what I mis-connected?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Lia View Post
installed new stereo system. Now the airbag light and chime comes on when I drive. Any ideas on how to fix this or what I mis-connected?
What type of harness/CANbus interface adapter did you use to connect to the factory wiring? Only thing I can think of is the wrong model? or possibly a faulty unit? The CANbus can be sensitive to any changes made in the system so i'm pretty sure that may be whats causing the chime and airbag light.

I'm sure there are others who have ran into the same problem. Hopefully someone else can *chime* in. Pun intended.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode