2009 - 2017 Aftermarket Stereo Install Master Sheet - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Hey, Booly, great write-up! It's obvious you have researched this item very thoroughly and now are the resident expert. Expect questions!

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
Hey, Booly, great write-up! It's obvious you have researched this item very thoroughly and now are the resident expert. Expect questions!
Thank you, sir. I try to share as much as I can to help others and it comes easy when car stereo is a passion hobby.

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, full custom headlights with projector retrofit, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, XS Power D3400 + D925, Weathertech air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, gloss black emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, auto-climate upgrade, stubby antenna, tinted quad taillights
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Stereo/GPS

Have a 2015 Patriot Sport 5spd. Looking to replace the radio with a new Stereo/GPS. Anyone with any experience with a reasonably easy swap. Would like rear back up and blue tooth also. Looking at the BOSS brand.
Thanks
Bob

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:41 AM

I want to remove the current stereo on my 2015 Patriot and install a used stock one with Bluetooth, but will it be as simple as plugging in the connections? I want to be prepared if there will be additional hardware needed for the Bluetooth to function properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	76521  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatt#441301 View Post
Have a 2015 Patriot Sport 5spd. Looking to replace the radio with a new Stereo/GPS. Anyone with any experience with a reasonably easy swap. Would like rear back up and blue tooth also. Looking at the BOSS brand.
Thanks
Bob

Hey Bob, Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but you are looking for a decent recommendation for a replacement radio that has both bluetooth and a backup camera?

I would suggest stick with the big name brands (Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc.) for features and reliability. I would recommend stay away from BOSS brand as even tho it may be inexpensive, it's not exactly a brand known for reliability. You can get a backup camera, but you would need a screen to display it on. So either get a double-DIN sized radio that has a screen or look into other options for an auxiliary screen. Most aftermarket radios will have bluetooth connectivity these days, just have to mount the microphone.

In terms of "any experience with a reasonably easy swap", do you mean actually replacing it and the steps involved? check the first page to see step-by-step directions on how to swap the radio.

2017 Jeep Patriot 2.0 Sport w/ CVT. 17" OEM gloss black wrapped in Yoko G015 225/65/17, Mopar front/rear mudflaps, LED interior/exterior bulb swap, full custom headlights with projector retrofit, 35% tint front windows + 5% windshield strip, XS Power D3400 + D925, Weathertech air deflectors & floor liners front + rear + cargo, K&N air filter swap, gloss black emblems, Mopar hood wind deflector, auto-climate upgrade, stubby antenna, tinted quad taillights
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspraker View Post
I want to remove the current stereo on my 2015 Patriot and install a used stock one with Bluetooth, but will it be as simple as plugging in the connections? I want to be prepared if there will be additional hardware needed for the Bluetooth to function properly.
The actual swapping of the radio wouldn't be an issue and would just be a matter of plugging in the harnesses behind the radio. The issue for getting bluetooth to work would be the factory installed microphone and whether or not it is installed and has wiring in place for all the of the trim levels as opposed to the ones that come with the Uconnect radios from the factory.

If it does not have a microphone, then you would need to not only supply one yourself, but it would also need to interface with the factory radio plugs. This is something I am not familiar with doing and may require more research.

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Stereo/GPS

Booly,
thanks for the reply. My Pat has a basic radio. I would like to replace it with a Stereo/GPS/Bluetooth/wireless back up camera. I don't know if Jeep uses a standard wire harness regardless of the radio or builds the harness to fit the options. You're right that the Boss system is inexpensive. Guess I'll do some more comparing.
Bob
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatt#441301 View Post
Booly,
thanks for the reply. My Pat has a basic radio. I would like to replace it with a Stereo/GPS/Bluetooth/wireless back up camera. I don't know if Jeep uses a standard wire harness regardless of the radio or builds the harness to fit the options. You're right that the Boss system is inexpensive. Guess I'll do some more comparing.
Bob
Maybe I am just jaded when it comes to stereo brands, but if that Boss head unit has all the features you are looking for and fits in your budget, by all means, get it!

As for the wire harness, the Patriots have a slightly more complex way of integrating into the factory CANbus system and will require an interface adapter. Check the first page of this post for more information regarding possible options to make it all work. Due to this, installation may be a bit more expensive than a vehicle that does not require such things, so make sure you factor that into your overall budget.

I am not as familiar with wireless backup cameras, but I know there is a user here that has installed one themselves and seems to be happy. Make sure whatever head-unit you decide on has not only a screen but also a video input for a rear-camera. If your intent is to have your backup camera automatically turn on and be seen on your head-unit screen, you have to make sure that's how both the deck and camera operate and are compatible with each other.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find and if it works for you.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 PM

stereo/gps

Booly
Again, thanks for the reply and info. I did a bunch of radio searching. stuff can get real pricey. The stock radio in the vehicle is nothing special and that is being real kind. I just want to integrate the radio and gps so that I dont't have a gps on the dash. I will do some more investigating the Boss unit to be sure it meets my needs.
Thanks again
Bob
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Hey Booly,

Currently trying to hook up my new stereo to my Patriot and have no wiring harness/adapter. Iím looking to find out which wires coming out of my car connect with my radio wires. Iíve looked up various diagrams but canít seem to figure it out. Wires from the Patriot: Black/yellow -ground White/orange- can B bus + White/pink- can B bus - Red/light blue- fused B + (I.o.d) Grey/red- power antenna signal Wires from radio Yellow-battery 12v Red- acc 12v Blue- antenna Black- ground I know grounds go together but I am having trouble with the others. Any help in matching them up would be greatly appreciated!
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucekfc1 View Post
Hey Booly,

Currently trying to hook up my new stereo to my Patriot and have no wiring harness/adapter. Iím looking to find out which wires coming out of my car connect with my radio wires. Iíve looked up various diagrams but canít seem to figure it out. Wires from the Patriot: Black/yellow -ground White/orange- can B bus + White/pink- can B bus - Red/light blue- fused B + (I.o.d) Grey/red- power antenna signal Wires from radio Yellow-battery 12v Red- acc 12v Blue- antenna Black- ground I know grounds go together but I am having trouble with the others. Any help in matching them up would be greatly appreciated!
Came across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnumber1 View Post
no your yellow wire is the constant. The red wire is the ignition wire that needs to be tapped into the cig lighter. The red wire just tells the radio to turn on/off.
So without a harness, Yellow from the radio goes to the I.O.D line, and Red from the radio connects to the lighter/12v acc plug.

15" Ravine Rims w/ 235/75/15 Duratracs
DIY Spacer Lift + CRDSTU coils
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rear swaybar semi-disconnect

"It's a nasty feeling when it happens: you feel trapped, and the RPM's are just 2500, moaning like a stuck cow." ~ psaulesl
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Thanks sandstone! I guess I just leave the white/or and white/pink?

I appreciate your help with this!
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks sandstone! I guess I just leave the white/or and white/pink?

I appreciate your help with this!
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM

I don't know what radio you have (sorry if I missed it), but if the 4 wires you mentioned are all the radio has, then I don't see where you would connect the canbus wires (white/or and white/pink).

What make and model is the radio?

15" Ravine Rims w/ 235/75/15 Duratracs
DIY Spacer Lift + CRDSTU coils
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rear swaybar semi-disconnect

"It's a nasty feeling when it happens: you feel trapped, and the RPM's are just 2500, moaning like a stuck cow." ~ psaulesl
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
I don't know what radio you have (sorry if I missed it), but if the 4 wires you mentioned are all the radio has, then I don't see where you would connect the canbus wires (white/or and white/pink).

What make and model is the radio?
Thanks Sandstone! Itís a Sound storm lab ddml65b. Those are the only 4 wires it has (apart from speaker wires). I just tried hooking it to the cig lighter. I managed to get some buzz from the speakers but nothing on the actual unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode