Aftermarket Radio Installation Information. Quick and easy. - Jeep Patriot Forums
Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Radio Installation Information. Quick and easy.

All too often I see people either limiting themselves to the stock unit simply because they're intimidated by the thought of installing an aftermarket radio on their own. Or.. They end up shelling out ridiculous amounts of money to have a "professional" do it for them. Using the harnesses available today, you can revert back to the stock radio whenever you please because no wire cutting is needed. If you can twist wires together, use tape and/or wire nuts and turn a screwdriver, this is NOT "out of your league"!

If you're willing to do a small amount of research about your specific vehicle such as:
- The obvious.. Year of Patriot
- If you have/want to retain steering wheel controls
- Do you have a "Premium Sound" and/or Nav package?
You need to know this information so you can buy the correct harness/adapter(s) for your specific application.

I've used PAC for most of the wiring related adapters and it's a breeze.
http://www.pac-audio.com/
Just enter your vehicle information and they'll show you what's available for your 'Riot.

Next, you'll need to figure out which DIN size radio you plan to install so you know what dash kit is for you. Pretty simple here.. Most commonly either a single DIN or double DIN. I've had both single and double DIN's in my 'Riot and the only difference was the metal bracket in the dash you'll need to remove if using a double DIN unit. No biggie.
I found the dash kit, PAC harness and antenna adapter for my vehicle on eBay for $80 total.

Here's a quick video I made to show how to remove the bezel/radio in my 2011.

Hope this helps those who are interested in exploring the lovely world of aftermarket audio. Enjoy!
vauxfox likes this.

-Audio-

Head Unit - Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD
Fronts - Massive Audio CK69X Components
Rears - Infinity Kappa's
Highs Amp - Massive Audio NX2
Sub - PSi Built Fi SP4 15"
Sub Amp - American Bass 450.1
Batteries - XS Power D4700 under the hood
XS Power D3100 in the rear
Knu Konceptz 1/0 throughout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 AM

Very nice demonstration video. I have to disagree with you about removing the OEM metal bracket, though, I had a heck of a time getting it out.

Excellent video, needs to be in the Knowledge Base

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM

Helpful video to someone who has never done it before but you should do it with the radio off at the least. I would personally always disconnect the negative cable if removing a head unit.

Royal Purple

SOLD
2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude
2.4L CVT 4WD FDI

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

If I were actually wiring anything I would take the precaution, but it was simply removing and poppin it back in. Even when I do wire em up, I usually don't disconnect the battery. Just wire the harness to the radio without the harness being plugged in. Same concept. That way no stripped wires are dangling around while hot.

-Audio-

Head Unit - Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD
Fronts - Massive Audio CK69X Components
Rears - Infinity Kappa's
Highs Amp - Massive Audio NX2
Sub - PSi Built Fi SP4 15"
Sub Amp - American Bass 450.1
Batteries - XS Power D4700 under the hood
XS Power D3100 in the rear
Knu Konceptz 1/0 throughout.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the great video.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 10:41 PM

Lightbulb 2014 Jeep Patriot latitude help

I am trying to install aftermarket radio on 2014 Jeep Patriot latitude can anybody tell me which face plate and adaptor for steering wheel controls. Maybe also what harness.
Installing a pioneer AVH-X3800BHS double din. Thanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:11 PM

Garage
dB-SPL

You need to forewarn folks that most aftermarket head units do not fit the Patriot's enclosure. I had to go through a few before I found one that fit, they were too big for the dash opening. I ended up with the Jensen that I have as that was the one that fit.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am trying to install aftermarket radio on 2014 Jeep Patriot latitude can anybody tell me which face plate and adaptor for steering wheel controls. Maybe also what harness.
Installing a pioneer AVH-X3800BHS double din. Thanks
Here is my thread, HU under $300 ..... go for it.

https://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/sho...=jensen&page=3

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Major Modificator

Please dont use vinyl tape when wiring a radio. use bell-caps and crimp the wires together. It gets really hot behind the radio, and not too long ago we just had 15 cars burn down at an apartment because someone used electrical tape on their stereo install. The adhesive gets gooey and the tape slips off, leaving the wires exposed.

But thanks for the instructions! We get a LOT of repeated questions about radio installs.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnumber1 View Post
Please dont use vinyl tape when wiring a radio. use bell-caps and crimp the wires together. It gets really hot behind the radio, and not too long ago we just had 15 cars burn down at an apartment because someone used electrical tape on their stereo install. The adhesive gets gooey and the tape slips off, leaving the wires exposed.
X2, If you have the skills and tools solder and heat-shrink are even better, that is how I've done all my stereo installs and never had an issue, but yes at the very least use crimp connectors, and then use tape over the crimps if you want, but never just tape. If you do use any tape (again only in addition to something else), spend the money (not much, about $5) on scotch super 33+ or super 88+, the cheap "made in China" electrical tape is all crap and won't last long, especially if exposed to high heat.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Garage
I have always used electrical tape for wiring, never had a single issue as it is done properly and there is no way for any of the wiring to be exposed. Also in regards to a car catching on fire .... really! Sounds as something from an email chain letter. Radios and cars have fuses to prevent shorts and a spark igniting 15 cars seems to have the same odds of me wining the Powerball tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparnumber1 View Post

But thanks for the instructions! We get a LOT of repeated questions about radio installs.

~George Carlin
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
I have always used electrical tape for wiring, never had a single issue as it is done properly and there is no way for any of the wiring to be exposed. Also in regards to a car catching on fire .... really! Sounds as something from an email chain letter. Radios and cars have fuses to prevent shorts and a spark igniting 15 cars seems to have the same odds of me wining the Powerball tomorrow.
I would guess it was more than a simple factory stereo replacement since that should be protected with multiple fuses, but I definitely have heard of fires related to aftermarket stereos, often due to poor amp/subwoofer install. When I got my XJ the previous owner had removed the sub they had added, but left the wiring behind, including an un-fused 4AWG cable directly from the positive battery cable passing through the firewall with no grommet, definitely a fire hazard, which I removed immediately.

I've also never had good electrical (Scotch 33+, etc.) tape simply come undone (in fact I have used in in engine bays subject to plenty of temperature extremes and have had to fight to get it off years later when I needed to get into that wiring again), but I have seen the cheap $1/roll Chinese tape loose anything resembling adhesive properties within a year (don't use that crap myself, but have seen issues on other's vehicles, and "repairs" from previous owners) which it did nearly fall off on it's own and I could see the vibrations of a vehicle knocking this stuff off.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to JeepNorway
Hey, i have a jensen player in. Everything works fine but no sound at all. What can the problem be?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:41 AM

thanks for the great video!

how do you remove the metal bracket in the dash (to install a double din radio)?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:46 PM

I am having a bear of a time finding a radio wiring harness for my BASIC 2009 Jeep Patriot.

It DOES NOT have controls on the steering wheel.

It DOES NOT have any add-one like navigation or the like.

It is just a simple AM/FM CD radio with an opening for external input (3mm) Jack.

Any suggestions out there as all I am finding are wiring harnesses at Crutchfield and the above for $60- $160+.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aftermarket radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in