I have problems with my rough country liftkit - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

I have problems with my rough country liftkit

I just installed my 2" RC lift kit. Well, i just intalled the front part. But i gave it a Drive and it start vibrating and making a noice, i think is because of the cv axle. Also, im not totally sure about the lift kit, the reason is that instead of strut spacers it only has bigger strut coil spring spacers. I would like advices and recommendations about how to solve the problem, or if isbetter to change the model of the lift kit. If so, where i get it. Because i got mine on eBay. And every seller told me that it is the only model available. My patriot is a 2014 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 AM

First, you should install the complete kit.

Then have an alignment done by a competent shop that knows how to work with lifted vehicles.

An alignment will have to be done no matter what lift kit you use or you'll have problems.

15" Ravine Rims w/ 235/75/15 Duratracs
DIY Spacer Lift + CRDSTU coils
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rear swaybar semi-disconnect

"It's a nasty feeling when it happens: you feel trapped, and the RPM's are just 2500, moaning like a stuck cow." ~ psaulesl
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
First, you should install the complete kit.

Then have an alignment done by a competent shop that knows how to work with lifted vehicles.

An alignment will have to be done no matter what lift kit you use or you'll have problems.
Well, so i need to make the whole installation, thats okay. But the noice and the vibration of the cv axles will be fixed in the alingment? Also, i live in a small city, i think Wal-Mart is the only alignment center, do you think Wal-Mart can helps? Or should i try to find a better place? By the way my lift kit is like the one of the Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39008-1-rough-country-2in-jeep-suspension-lift-kit-10-17-patriot-4wd_1561482583024.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	81555  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:17 PM

How do you know the problem is from the axles, or if it's from the alignment being off?

If the axles are worn and not liking the extra angle, then they'll probably still have problems even after the alignment.

Are the axles leaking grease? Have they been checked for excessive play?

Adding a lift is always a gamble as to whether or not you'll have problems, you just have to work through them a step at a time and in the end you may decide it's just not worth the trouble.

I have little experience with Wal-marts shops, but I'd imagine for most part they work to factory spec and don't like dealing with modifications. You can call and ask them.

JKS Quicker Disconnects

"It's a nasty feeling when it happens: you feel trapped, and the RPM's are just 2500, moaning like a stuck cow." ~ psaulesl
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sandstone;1861945]How do you know the problem is from the axles, or if it's from the alignment being off?

If the axles are worn and not liking the extra angle, then they'll probably still have problems even after the alignment.

Are the axles leaking grease? Have they been checked for excessive play?

Adding a lift is always a gamble as to whether or not you'll have problems, you just have to work through them a step at a time and in the end you may decide it's just not worth the trouble.

I have little experience with Wal-marts shops, but I'd imagine for most part they work to factory spec and don't like dealing with modifications.

They are not leaking grease. But im pretty sure fue angle that they have with the lift kit is bigger than without it. I im not sure how the alignment will solve the problem. I will be more than glad if You can tellme about your experiences with your patriot and lift kit, probably is not fue same Type of lift kit but still want to know to take it in consideration
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM

I had the first set of STUcoils installed by a dealer, and I supplied the front camber bolts. I used the factory rear suspension parts. The install and alignment went through without a hitch. No problems with wobble or vibration.

When I added the spacer lift, I did all the work myself. The alignment was off all around and it was noticeable, but I didn't have any problems with axles making noise.

To get the alignment done, I used an independent shop but the mechanic was Jeep/Chrysler trained and had worked for Jeep for about 10 years. He was also an avid Jeeper who is into modding so it the lift didn't present any special challenges.

You can try talking to Walmart and see what they say, but if it were me I'd try to find someone with some experience in aligning lifted vehicles.

On last thing, when you put it back together did you make sure the axles were seated all the way into the trans?

They can sometimes pop out a little when you drop the control arm down to remove/install the struts.

JKS Quicker Disconnects

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone View Post
I had the first set of STUcoils installed by a dealer, and I supplied the front camber bolts. I used the factory rear suspension parts. The install and alignment went through without a hitch. No problems with wobble or vibration.

When I added the spacer lift, I did all the work myself. The alignment was off all around and it was noticeable, but I didn't have any problems with axles making noise.

To get the alignment done, I used an independent shop but the mechanic was Jeep/Chrysler trained and had worked for Jeep for about 10 years. He was also an avid Jeeper who is into modding so it the lift didn't present any special challenges.

You can try talking to Walmart and see what they say, but if it were me I'd try to find someone with some experience in aligning lifted vehicles.

On last thing, when you put it back together did you make sure the axles were seated all the way into the trans?

They can sometimes pop out a little when you drop the control arm down to remove/install the struts.

I didn't check after putting the tire back. But i chose to remove the lift kit, cuz is not just the vibration, the way my lift kit works reduce the work área for the Strut coil springs which makes every little jump be too loud and with more impact in to the car. I decide to desing my own lift kit. I did it before with a cheeroke. My father is a mechanic and welder and i have my entire life working with him. Also my brother my study mechatronic and he knows how to use the desing apps. I will try to taka pictures and document the work to show it. Still thank you sandstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode