Shredded two Geolandars on a Badge of Honor Trail - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Shredded two Geolandars on a Badge of Honor Trail

Went down to Virginia to do Peter's Mill Run. Not even a mile in I got a puncture on my front right between the treads. We plugged it and moved on.

Closer to the end of the trail, I didn't clear a jaggy rock and took out the rear right sidewall.

Both tires totaled, and when removing the sidewall-punctured tire one of my lug nuts stripped. We got it off eventually, luckily I had some locking lug nuts to replace it. I had to buy a $75 walmart all-season just to drive the 400+ miles home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Crazy! did you air down? I've shreaded a few tires in my time. it sucks, since they are so expensive.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - Sold
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
1998 Mazda B4000 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
OUCH! I have done that trail several times in several different vehicles. It's a fun ride. It's only about an hour from home for me.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM

😮
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Crazy! did you air down? I've shreaded a few tires in my time. it sucks, since they are so expensive.
I wasn't sure how hard the trail was so at first I didn't, but I ran the rest of the trail at 25psi after the puncture.

Luckily I bought the full warranty on these tires so they're replacing them no charge. I've really liked these tires and their performance until now, but I'm considering some 30" mud terrains since I keep pushing my Patriot, just having trouble finding what I want.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAaron View Post
OUCH! I have done that trail several times in several different vehicles. It's a fun ride. It's only about an hour from home for me.
Jaggiest rocks I've seen on a trail to date. I had to dodge and weave a lot, pretty sure the one that got my sidewall was because I cut right too soon and clipped it.

Beautiful state you got there, though. Might have to head down again sometime, though I only have three PTO days left and I'm thinking somewhere in Pennsylvania next, been eyeballing Rausch Creek.

Last edited by Flamewave; 04-15-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I didn't quite clear it.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamewave View Post
I wasn't sure how hard the trail was so at first I didn't, but I ran the rest of the trail at 25psi after the puncture.

Luckily I bought the full warranty on these tires so they're replacing them no charge. I've really liked these tires and their performance until now, but I'm considering some 30" mud terrains since I keep pushing my Patriot, just having trouble finding what I want.
I ran 245/65r17's with a 1.25" spacer, and a 2" RR lift kit. That's a 29.5" tire. That was the LIMIT on tire size, without modifying suspension and other components. I personally wouldn't go that size again. I would NOT do a lift kit, and go with a 15" wheel with a 235/75r15 tire. You won't have to modify anything, the wheels will come with the correct offset, and they are a 28.9" tire, so no PWM or lift kit needed.

When I go off road, I drop to ~15psi, and Never had an issue at that pressure. and makes a HUGE world of difference with traction...

and I'm going to state an un popular opinion. I outgrew my patriot pretty quickly with my off road desires/trails/skill set. And moved onto an XJ, and now have a 4x4 truck (ranger). You might want to think about putting the money you would spend on mods to your patriot to buy an XJ as a 2nd vehicle that's an off road toy.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - Sold
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
1998 Mazda B4000 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm already running the RC lift and 1.25" spacers, the tires are 225/65r17. Geolandar M/T G003's come in the same size and are a tempting sidegrade, just wish they made them in a 235 or 245/65r17. Not sure I want to spend the money on wheels on top of tires just right now, but 15's would be the way to go if I did.

And yeah I hear you on the dedicated trail rig side of things but, where I am in life, two vehicles isn't possible yet. Also I really enjoy taking things that people discount or disregard and using them way past their perceived potential. Tire issues aside I think my Patriot made an impression.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Jaggiest rocks I've seen on a trail to date. I had to dodge and weave a lot, pretty sure the one that got my sidewall was because I cut right too soon and clipped it.

Beautiful state you got there, though. Might have to head down again sometime, though I only have three PTO days left and I'm thinking somewhere in Pennsylvania next, been eyeballing Rausch Creek.
Rausch creek is a fun place. I did a frame off resto-mod on a 76 CJ-7 that has been in my family since new. I spent waaaay too much money and time and then was scared to actually really test it. I went to Rausch creek and they have a rock climbing wall. I drove that Cj right up to the top of that thing and parked it there for a few minutes while myself and few others took some pictures. Just keep in mind that Rausch creek grades their trails and all of them are marked. Their markings are not jokes. There will be several trails there that a Patriot simply isn't capable of passing. The CJ I resto-modded has Dana 44 axles with lockers, six inches of lift and 35 inch tires....... there are trails there that it will not complete. You will see a lot of trailer rigs there testing out mods and stuff. It's not uncommon to see someone weld an axle back together on the trail there. It's a great place, lots of fun, good camping spots.... but unless you want to really break your Patriot, be sure of what you are getting into before you go down a trail.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerAaron View Post
It's a great place, lots of fun, good camping spots.... but unless you want to really break your Patriot, be sure of what you are getting into before you go down a trail.
I wanna try Trail #11 since it's a badge of honor trail and it's rated the same difficulty as PMR, probably won't try anything too much harder than that. After the fiasco changing my flat on the trail I just ordered RRO sliders and a winch bumper today, they actually called me to let me know the lead time on the sliders was going to be six weeks, which was nice of them. Definitely want the added insurance for when **** goes sideways.

Speaking of upgrades, has anyone had trouble getting their CRDSTU coils? I put my order in in february and they were backordered for the end of feb but I still haven't heard from them.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Speaking of upgrades, has anyone had trouble getting their CRDSTU coils? I put my order in in february and they were backordered for the end of feb but I still haven't heard from them.
My guess is they ran out of stock and they're trying to wait until they get a minimum amount of orders before they place their order with King Springs.
Flamewave likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My front sway bar bracket fell off when I pulled into the driveway last night. Got it fixed, but yeah. Probably should stop putting off getting quick disconnects.
Sandstone likes this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

May wanna try different brand of tires.

Yes, the economy has gotten better....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I dunno, that sidewall rip would have wrecked just about any other tire out there, and that was entirely my fault. I'm not sure if the puncture was actually from a rock on the trail or the result of damage from when I ran over a jackstand some jackwagon left sitting out when I gassed up in NJ. Seriously, who leaves a jackstand just sitting around? Other than this, I've had zero issues with these tires, the traction is excellent in every condition I've put them through.

Either way, just got the two replacements on today. Don't want to spend the money on new tires any time soon when I have other upgrades I want to do first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode