FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAME RUST AND PERFORATIONS - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAME RUST AND PERFORATIONS

GREETINGS ALL. I JUST PURCHASED A 2011 JEEP PATRIOT WITH 124000 MILES ON IT. THE BODY, INTERIOR, ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN ARE ALL GREAT FOR THE YEAR AND MILES. WHEN I GOT IT HOME I FOUND A SURPRISE... THE FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAMES ARE BADLY CORRODED, DANGEROUSLY CORRODED. I TOOK IT TO MY MECHANIC AND HE SAID HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW IT PASSED INSPECTION. I HAD HIM WRITE A STATEMENT TO THIS EFFECT. I CALLED THE DEALER AND THEY STATED THAT THEY FOUND OUT THAT THE PARTS ARE UNDER AN 'EXTENDED WARRANTY'... NOT A RECALL. THEY SAID THAT THEY WOULD TAKE THE VEHICLE TO A JEEP DEALERSHIP TO HAVE THE SUBFRAMES REPLACED. HERE'S WHERE THE TROUBLE BEGINS. I CALLED CHRYSLER JEEP CUSTOMER 'CARE' LINE. I REGISTERED THE JEEP IN MY NAME. I STATED THE PROBLEM. THE OPERATOR SAID THAT FIRST, PICTURES MUST BE TAKEN AND THEN SENT TO THEIR 'INVESTIGATION' DEPT. THEN THEY HAVE TO AUTHORIZE THE REPAIRS. SHE STATED THAT THE PERFORATIONS/RUST MUST BE FROM THE INSIDE OUT. WUH??? SHE SAID IT COULD TAKE A FEW WEEKS FOR AUTHORIZATION. JEEP KNOWS THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE. SO IT GOES WITH PATRIOTS, COMPASSES, CALIBERS AND A FEW OTHERS. I FELT SICK. MY GUESS IS THAT THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO WEASEL OUT OF REPLACING THEM. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL ITEM. I HAVE NOTICED THAT ALL OF MY JEEPS OVER ALL MY YEARS HAVE PRETTY BAD RUSTING ISSUES. I WAS WILLING TO FORGO MOST OF THEM. AT THIS POINT, THIS IS MY LAST JEEP PURCHASE. JEEP CAN ATTRIBUTE MY DECISION TO THE RED TAPE WRAPPED AROUND THIS ISSUE. I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT THIS VEHICLE IS UNDER A RECALL FOR A SEAT BELT/AIRBAG ISSUE AND THAT 'THE PARTS AREN'T AVAILABLE' EVEN THOUGH IT PLACES JEEPS CUSTOMERS IN HARMS WAY. DEADLY HARMS WAY. ON MONDAY I HAVE TO TAKE THE JEEP TO THE FELLOW I BOUGHT IT FROM.. AND HE WAS SURPRISED BY THIS TOO AND HAS ACTUALLY STATED HE WILL PAY FOR ANY AND ALL AS WELL AS TAKING IT THERE HIMSELF. THATS RARE AND HE HAS MY RESPECT FOR IT BUT THAT DOESN'T EXCUSE JEEP FOR ITS LACKLUSTER PARTS, EVASIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND FAILURE TO ACKNOWLEDGE SUCH A SERIOUS ISSUE. FAIL. JEEP GETS AN F. I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED ON HOW THINGS ARE GOING AND I'LL BE DRAFTING A LENGTHY ARTICLE REGARDING MY EXPERIENCE WITH JEEP PRODUCTS OVER 30 YEARS. I HAVE OWNED 3 CHEROKEE SPORTS, 5 PATRIOTS, 1 JEEP COMPASS RALLYE (TRANSMISSION FAILED SAME DAY I DROVE IT OFF THE LOT BRAND NEW) AND 3 WRANGLERS. 4 OF THOSE JEEPS WERE MODIFIED. I AM HAPPY TO PLACE YOUR JEEP ISSUES IN MY ARTICLE ANONYMOUSLY IF YOU WISH BUT AS ANECDOTAL BECAUSE A CONSUMER BLOG MUST BE BASED UPON FACTS THAT HAVE DOCUMENTATION IN RECORD. PEACE! ONE MORE THING.. I WAS WARNED THAT THE DEALERSHIP MAY TRY TO HIT ME WITH CHARGES FOR PARTS THAT MUST BE REPLACED TO REPLACE THE PARTS COVERED... THATS JUST UNETHICAL. JEEP MADE A ROTTEN PART, JEEP SHOULD FIX IT... ALL OF IT. FIN.

Last edited by Prushinfox001; 02-18-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prushinfox001 View Post
THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL ITEM.
It was a recall for the 2007 model (Service Bulletin NUMBER: 23-012-14,) then they addressed it. Or whatever the cause was for that particular year.
Give the dealer and Jeep a chance to check into it first. They may cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prushinfox001 View Post
I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT THIS VEHICLE IS UNDER A RECALL FOR A SEAT BELT/AIRBAG ISSUE AND THAT 'THE PARTS AREN'T AVAILABLE' EVEN THOUGH IT PLACES JEEPS CUSTOMERS IN HARMS WAY. DEADLY HARMS WAY.
Yep. So is Honda, Toyota, and a whole ton of other car manufacturers. All-in-all, it was 32 brands under Takata's (the airbag manufacturer) recall last I had seen. Replacement parts must be built before they can be installed.

If you dont feel safe driving your vehicle, it is up to you to contact Jeep about it and this recall.

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!

Last edited by breadtruck; 02-18-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, oopsie
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM

If you do a bit of searching here, you will learn that there is a growing list of disgruntled owners complaining of the subframe rust issue. It is VERY important to turn your complaint in to the National Highway Safety Institute so that this problem can be turned into a recall. Otherwise, nothing will happen.

It sucks that car manufacturers do this. They should get the picture every time someone posts "this is the last brand x vehicle that I ever buy". While your dislike of Jeep is well warranted, I challenge you to find a brand that does NOT handle problems this way. I have posted long lists of similar examples for every brand here many times, so I will not repeat it. Just one example is Subaru's handling of their new engine oil consumption issue that started in 2011. First they denied it. Then they reluctantly offered band aid repairs. It took a class action lawsuit to finally force them into submission. There are similar recent stories for all brands, even the mighty Honda and Toyota.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I, too, am surprised that your car passed inspection. You have to be your own advocate when buying anything and not trust anyone. Sad.
breadtruck likes this.

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Use the SEARCH feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegrower View Post
Just one example is Subaru's handling of their new engine oil consumption issue that started in 2011. First they denied it. Then they reluctantly offered band aid repairs. It took a class action lawsuit to finally force them into submission. There are similar recent stories for all brands, even the mighty Honda and Toyota.
Yup, this was what happened with my wife's Toyota Camry's oil consumption issue. It took a long time before the recall happened, and then, even if you were consuming oil, you had to meet a certain set of criteria to be "bad enough" to get the fix.

It took us 3 attempts before they finally fixed ours, and that third time the service advisor came out to me with a sick look on his face. He didnt say anything, but I got the feeling that the Camry was pretty close to being bone dry.

Good idea on contacting the National Highway Safety Institute. I wasnt aware of this process. Does this look like the correct link to you? https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Truckin' the bread all over your @$$!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

THE ORIGINAL RECALL HAD SPECIFICITY TO THE MODEL YEAR. CHRYSLER THEN JUST EXTENDED THE WARRANTY SO THAT THEY COULD MAKE THE CALL AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THEY 'HAD' TO REPLACE IT. NOW THAT'S ITS ONLY WARRANTY, THEY CAN REJECT THE CLAIM WITH JUST ABOUT ANY EXCUSE OR JUST TIE UP THE CLAIM FOR MONTHS HOPING THE CONSUMER JUST GETS TIRED OF DEALING WITH THE STRESS OF GETTING THE WORK DONE. AUTO MANUFACTURERS AND THEIR 'CUSTOMER CARE' CENTERS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. THERE PRIMARY FUNCTION IS TO REDUCE REPAIR CLAIMS TO SAVE MONEY AND QUIET CONSUMERS THAT MAY HAVE LEGITIMATE ISSUES. PROFIT IS WHAT DRIVES THE INDUSTRY, NOT QUALITY AND DEFINITELY NOT FOLLOW UP. WHEN WE BOUGHT OUR 2016 IT HAD ELECTRICAL FAILS, WATER INFILTRATION ISSUES, TRIM ISSUES ETC. IT HAS LESS THAN 60 MILES ON IT WHEN ALL THIS OCCURRED. JUNK. I'LL BE WRITING A LONG CONSUMER BLOG WITH IMAGES AND SCANS OF ALL REPAIR RECORDS ON THE MYRIAD ISSUES I HAVE HAD WITH THESE PRODUCTS. MY READERSHIP IS GLOBAL WITH MANY HITS. IDEALLY WHAT I WANT JEEP TO DO IS SIMPLE. REPLACE THE REAR AND FRONT SUBFRAMES, PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER, ALIGN THE VEHICLE AND SAY GOOD DAY. THEY WON'T. IT'LL BE A NASTY EXPERIENCE WITH LOTS OF MY TIME BEING WASTED. I LOOKED AT A NEW FORD F250 TODAY. I HAD AN F350 SUPER DUALLY AND I LOVED IT... NO ISSUES OTHER THAN SOME REGULAR WEAR AND TEAR, BUT IT WAS A REAL CHAMPION. EASY TO FIX TOO.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM

LOL. So, you were not one of the lucky Ford truck owners to incur an $800 spark plug change because of the 2 piece plug design that left broken plugs in the engine block? Or, the Ford truck engines that blew out spark plugs because they only had 3 threads designed into the engine block to hold the plug in?

What about the current fuel tank recall: https://www.trucks.com/2016/12/21/fo...r-duty-trucks/

The current brake line recall: ?Brake problems prompt big Ford pickup recall - CBS News

The lists go on and on: Ford F250 Recall Information - Recalls and Problems and Ford F150 Recall Information - Recalls and Problems

2014 Sport, 2wd, 2.4L, 6 speed tranny, Winter Chill
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 PM

Garage
Try sending a PM to Jeep Cares on our forum. Andrea and Kori have been quite helpful for others.

As others have noted, 1) No vehicle is immune to defects, and 2) Always have YOUR OWN mechanic inspect a vehicle before you buy it. At worst, check the owners' forums (like this site) to find potential problems. The rusty frame is a fairly recent issue as Patriots are just getting around to the years and miles that this is a problem, but there are enough posts on here that were I to buy a used Patriot, I'd check that. I'd also check for leaking sunroofs and premature front end wear.

Fortunately not all Patriot have these problems, although at 230,000 miles and 8 New England winters, I thought it advisable to have the sub-frame checked, and it was just fine. Mine's been rock solid while others curse they day they bought theirs. I liked mine so much we bought another Patriot and Wifey loves Hers too.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

MY F350 WAS A DIESEL. 7.3 L. IT WAS AWESOME. IT WAS AN 83. I THINK THE ONLY THING I REPLACED ON IT WAS THE STARTER. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS JUST NORMAL, BRAKES, TIRES, ETC.

Last edited by Prushinfox001; 02-19-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I LOGGED INTO THE CHAT FOR CHRYSLER AND INQUIRED ABOUT THE AIRBAG/SEATBELT TENSIONERS AND THE SUBFRAME ISSUE. HERE IS A TRANSCRIPT OF THE CONVERSATION. I REPLACED MY NAME WITH MY LOGIN NAME. ADAM STATED THAT THEY DON'T DEAL WITH HYPOTHETICAL SITUATIONS. IT IS MY ESTIMATION THAT AIRBAGS AND SEATBELTS ARE DESIGNED AND INSTALLED BECAUSE OF THOSE HYPOTHETICAL SITUATIONS LIKE COLLISIONS AND ROLLOVERS. THE COMMENT THAT MY VIN IS BEING FLAGGED IS DISCONCERTING. NEVER DID GET TO THE SUBFRAME ISSUE.

Adam: Hi, my name is Adam. How may I help you?
Prushinfox: I need to know when the parts for the recall on my vehicle will be ready.
Prushinfox: recall 16V-668
Prushinfox: this is for a 2011 jeep patriot 4x4 2.4L
Adam: The S61 recall unfortunately does not have a listed ETA for parts arrival at this time Prushinfox
Prushinfox: What do consumers do in the mean time? Is it safe to drive this vehicle in the event of an impact?
Adam: NHTSA has deemed the vehicle still safe for all normal driving conditions. I can also have your VIN on a tracking list so you're notified via email once parts are available
Prushinfox: What about collisions?
Adam: We are unable ot predict what may or may not happen, but collisions are not part of normal driving.
Prushinfox: So you are telling me that this vehicle is safe to drive as long as I don't get hit or have a collision?
Adam: That is correct and can be said of pretty much every vehicle.
Prushinfox: Collisions can occur at any time. Doesn't Mopar have a responsibility to ensure that the safety features of the vehicle are sound?
Adam: That is why we have the recall on the ORC module. However, it does take time to make and distribute millions of parts.
Prushinfox: How long has this recall been posted?
Adam: 10/01/2016
Prushinfox: What happens when a consumer has a collision and the system in question fails?
Adam: As I've not heard of it happening yet, I can't say as there is no facts to draw off of. Regrettably our department does not work with hypothetical scenarios.
Adam: Because the reality is that an accident can occur at any time, and we can't predict the future for any motorist.
Prushinfox: You have a faulty product.
Adam: And we have issued our recall notice as per NHTSA and are in the process of making the parts for everyone.
Prushinfox: I am using this entire transcript on my consumer blog page. It's read globally. I am also posting this transcript to the Patriot Forum. I want consumers to read the canned responses. You keep going back to NHTSA saying the vehicle is OK to drive under "normal" driving conditions. Please define Normal Driving Conditions.

Adam: You most certainly can. However, as you have stated you are going to post this with ill intent, our policy is to now terminate contact and flag your VIN. All future contacts will now have to be made threw a lawyer and our legal team. You have a good weekend still please.

Adam has disconnected.

Last edited by Prushinfox001; 02-19-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: duplicity
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mathew: Hi, my name is Mathew. How may I help you?
Mathew: Hello, how may I help you today?
PRUSHINFOX: Hi Matt
PRUSHINFOX: I was told my VIN was flagged on the last chat session. What does that mean?
Mathew: I can look into that for you and see what occurred with the previous chat.
PRUSHINFOX: thanks
Mathew: Could I have your VIN?
PRUSHINFOX: sure
PRUSHINFOX: 1JXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Mathew: Thank you, one moment please.
Mathew: Thank you for waiting. I do see during the previous chat that you advised that you were intending on posting the previous chat history on your consumer blog page; when we are advised of things like that, we do make sure to mark that in our system, and if you are seeking anything further, that would need to be done through a lawyer.
PRUSHINFOX: Will I have trouble at dealerships now that my VIN is flagged, when I go for repairs on warranty or recall items? How do speak to Mopar now that I have been 'banned'.?
Mathew: You will not; you can still have all of your work done at any dealerships.
Mathew: It is merely something for our internal system whenever someone advises that they are intending to post things on social media.
PRUSHINFOX: Ok. I never stated anything about litigation. I am not sure where the drama regarding an attorney is coming from.
Mathew: It is our regular response when an owner advises of things like that.
PRUSHINFOX: I post only the facts. I back up my column with documents in record as well.
PRUSHINFOX: I see.
PRUSHINFOX: It sounded really adversarial. VIN has been flagged.
Mathew: I do apologize that it was not better explained.
PRUSHINFOX: Can you tell me when the extended warranty for the front and rear subframes for the Patriot expires?
Mathew: It is good for 10 years; so it will expire by time on 04/30/2021.
PRUSHINFOX: I own the 2011 and a brand new Patriot High Altitude.
PRUSHINFOX: ok.. so there's time.
Mathew: If you are experiencing any issues with the cross members, I would suggest having the vehicle brought into a dealership to have it looked at.
PRUSHINFOX: What is the approximate turn around time from the dealership taking pics and submitting them and the authorization for the warranty fix? Yeah.. the 2011's are completely perforated in numerous places.
Mathew: I do not have that exact information, that is something to discuss with the service department at one of our dealerships.
PRUSHINFOX: They said they don't know either.
PRUSHINFOX: I have to get the work done, but I don't want to have to wait months for a decision.
Mathew: I would suggest bringing it in to the dealership so that they can start the process for you PRUSHINFOX.
PRUSHINFOX: Out of pocket with labor and parts is over $2000
PRUSHINFOX: What's weird is the rest of the Jeep looks almost factory.
Mathew: I do apologize for that issue with the cross members, and we definitely want to see what could be done to get that issue resolved.
PRUSHINFOX: ok... I am taking the 2011 to the dealership on Monday. Do you know if the consumer has to pay for any associated parts replacement? When disassembling certain parts, there is collateral sacrifice of things like bushings or wiring harness, clips, fasteners and such.
Mathew: That I am not certain of, I do apologize but the service department will be able to advise what is and is not covered under the extended warranty for the repair.
PRUSHINFOX: 10 4. thanks
Mathew: Thank you for contacting Jeep Customer Care. Please chat with us again if you need further assistance. You can also look for updates on our website Jeep SUVs & Crossovers - Official Jeep Site. Have a good day!
Mathew has disconnected.

Last edited by Prushinfox001; 02-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM

I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with the subframe rust issue. Called the Jeep dealer, took it in for their inspection, and they replaced both the front and rear subframe. There was an extension for coverage for 10 years on the Patriots like there was on the 2007. I just picked mine up with no charge from the dealer.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joek568686 View Post
I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with the subframe rust issue. Called the Jeep dealer, took it in for their inspection, and they replaced both the front and rear subframe. There was an extension for coverage for 10 years on the Patriots like there was on the 2007. I just picked mine up with no charge from the dealer.
That is good to hear.

I notice this is your first post. Please drop over to the newbie threads and introduce yourself to the rest of the gang.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 PM

We have a 2011 FDII Patriot, purchased several years ago. It's our 5th Jeep in a row. We typically buy them new. Today, we got new tires, and this is what we saw when it was on the lift.
There are multiple, large, deep holes in the K-frame; so many that the tire shop told us to stop driving it. The largest hole is directly under the steel brace that holds up the engine & transmission. There are also deep holes next to the lower control arms, so the engine could fall out, and the wheels could fall off.

The car was just inspected (state inspection) 4 weeks ago, at one Jeep dealer, and passed with flying colors, even though I asked them to check a strange noise in the front end. They found nothing.
In addition, another Jeep dealer replaced the CVT, 19 months ago, thanks to our Chrysler Max Care plan.

Since both Jeep dealers completely missed it, this will be our last Jeep. Even though we've had 5 in a row, we've decided to drive something that won't maime or kill us, because the dealers are that bad.

Even with all these holes. and I didn't get good pictures of them (there are several more), the Jeep dealer that did the state inspection, told us not to worry about it, as they "haven't seen one with the wheels actually fall off yet, they just look like it, because they are leaning so far sideways". He didn't even bother to look at ours. When I insisted that he get on the ground and look at it, he agreed to give us a loaner car, and said that he'd have to talk to the tech that did the state inspection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_084222887.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	81399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_100012513.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	81401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_100019976.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	81403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_100030590.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	81405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190516_084204084.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	81407  

Last edited by march; 05-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 PM

Garage
Strange the dealer didn't catch that. Usually they are recommending work we don't need, not missing stuff we do need. Heck, don't they want the work? Enough of these have the problem; this is something any dealer should be looking for.

Presuming you aren't the original owner (so there's no warranty) there's no reason for you to go to a dealer for the repair. An independent shop can probably do the work for less. So what if they aren't "genuine Mopar parts" cuz the OEM parts weren't very good which is why you have the problem.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM

The frame is covered under a Chrysler warranty and the Chrysler Max Care Plan requires dealer service. Max Care expires next month, so if I never noticed the rust, we would have had to pay for everything else that gets replaced with the frame, if we survived any resultant accident.

I too, am surprised that two Jeep dealers missed this. Even though the first dealer replaced the CVT 19 months ago, the Jeep was thoroughly washed, before spending last winter in our heated garage, while we were in Florida for 5 months. So... that rust must have been there when they replaced the CVT. They obviously ignored the 10 year warranty on the K-frame, and installed a brand new CVT on top of a very rusty frame. It was in their possession for 1 month, waiting for that CVT.

The second dealer, who performed an illegal state inspection, should receive a hefty fine from the State. The Inspector should lose his license.
Meanwhile, Fiat-Chrysler will probably do nothing.

Just in case Fiat-Chrysler reads this, the VIN is:
1J4NF1GB6BD131845

Last edited by march; 05-17-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode