FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAME RUST AND PERFORATIONS - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums
Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM

Garage
Hey, you just made it under the wire. Nice catch!

I've had two CVTs replaced and each time it was right about a week. The first one might have been done quicker but it was in winter and snow delayed the shipping of the replacement. Both times it was about a day for FCA to approve the repair, and both times there was a weekend so it was in reality 7-8 days -- I forget. Regardless they gave me a decent loaner to use.

Since this thread is about the rusty frame, my frame was solid after 10 northern New England winters and well over a quarter million miles. So far our 2014 looks solid. Last time it was in for LOF I asked my local mechanic about rusty sub-frames on Patriots and it was the first he'd heard of it so it can't be a real common problem. Alas, when its your problem, its big.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM

The dealer that did the CVT had to get Chrysler's permission first, then order the parts, then schedule the work. It's a small dealership.

I guess the frame rust issue depends on how much salt is used on the roads. Interestingly, the rest of our Jeep's underside is essentially rust free. Just the two sub frames are bad.
Yesterday, the dealer that ignored the state inspection process, apologized profusely. Apparently once they got the Jeep on a lift, they too were shocked at how bad it was. He suspended the tech who did the state inspection. He had someone else do all the work in 1 day. They replaced both front & rear sub frames, along with lots of other stuff like lower control arms, etc., all fully covered by the warranty & service contract.
His primary complaint was: He's in business to make money, and that tech ignored thousands of dollars in covered repairs.

He's now pleased that I forced them to look at the thing before the accident occurred.
If that happened, the repairs probably wouldn't have been covered, due to all the bent parts and blood everywhere. I take the highways all the time, and can just imagine what occurs when the front wheels come loose and the engine drops when you hit a bump at 74MPH.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Garage
Looks to me like your dealer is well-intentioned. He has the perspective I mentioned above: by not recognizing a problem and not recommending needed work, that service tech was missing the dealership's primary reason for being in business. He was also missing the reason customers bring their vehicles to dealerships -- we realize we pay more there because we expect better work by people who are well-versed with the brand we drive, and won't take shortcuts.

My Dad used to call local shops "brake & light stations" because that was all they checked.

For a couple years (before I was old enough to drive) my family lived in New Jersey. Seems that state had their own network of inspection stations. Not garages with state permission, but state-owned depots that didn't do work but simply inspected vehicles and gave out the stickers. Anyone know if they still do that? Do other states do that?

By contrast I lived most of my growing years in Connecticut where once you got registered you never faced another inspection for the life of the car or until it changed owners. However, you were expected to maintain your vehicle in safe operating condition. That also meant any police officer could stop you for anything (their favorite is "driving erratically"), do a spot inspection, and write you up for anything/everything that might be wrong with your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode