Jeep Patriot Forums banner

More 5W20 info...

28K views 188 replies 39 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research about wear vs. full economy with the 5W20 oil that is recommended for our cars.

So far, the sources that are trying to sell you a different product are telling us not to use 5W20. Sources that sell both don't seem to think it is a problem.

An example is the Mobile web site. If you ask it what kind of oil to use, it tells you 10W30 for the Patriot, however when you ask if 5W20 is okay then it says sure!

Question:
Protection Provided by 5W-20 Motor Oil
My new Honda I-VTEC 4 Cylinder calls for 5W-20 oil. I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2000 Tundra. I was using the 5W-30 in my 2004 Mazda 3 2.0 L even though the manual called for 5W-20. My question: Because of the federal CAFE mandates to improve gas mileage auto makers have gone to lighter oils. Can a 5W-20 synthetic really provide the same amount of wear protection as a 5W-30 synthetic oil? Have machine tolerances become so exact that they really require a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30?
-- Howard Snook, Lowgap, NC
Answer:
Car builders that recommend 5W-20 viscosity oils have tested these oils extensively to ensure that they provide adequate protection of critical engine parts. Our testing has shown that Mobil 1 5W-20 provides excellent wear protection in modern vehicles. Because today’s engines have tighter tolerances – due to improvements in metallurgy and parts-finishing quality, oils with a low film thickness can provide the protection required and at the same time provide fuels economy benefits. Mobil 1 5W-20 is designed for vehicles where a 5W-20 viscosity oil is recommended. Not only does Mobil 1 5W-20 help extend engine life but it also provides exceptional fuel economy as well.
Right now, it's not that I disagree with the theory of using 10W30, I just havn't seen any convincing aregument for it.

#166 ·
Yea it is an old thread ... heck I think nearly everyone in this thread is no longer on the site :D

Anyways such a small viscosity change in the name of fuel efficiency has proven over time to have done nothing to engine wear .... move along :)

#167 ·
12 pages of heated, round and round debate, and I believe that croat sums it up in one sentence. I'll keep using Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 year round until I read convincing evidence that 0W20 would be better in my winter AO, at which time I might use that during the cold season.

My head officially hurts now. I think I'll check out a lift or tire debate to soothe the pain...

#168 ·
I depends on the climate you live

make sure that temperatures most of the year are within the low and high temprature limit of the oil

Here in Greece were rarely gets below zero and for quite a few months have tempratures above 28 Degrees we need an oil that is good also for higher tempratures. Guys here even use 10-40

#171 ·
Hey Harbor ! Thanks ! Yes, I remember doing that post up to help folks along. We just sold that 2008 Patriot and now have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Today I was searching for 5w20 motor oil, not even thinking about this thread and guess what came up? I hope you and family are all well my friend !

#172 ·
Hello there,

Been lurking here. My daughter is about to buy a 2016 2.4 Patriot stick-shift 2WD. Just trying to get ahead of ourselves about maintenance and ran into this thread, which is very interesting. Years ago, either 2011 or 2012, one particular car maker had models exported to US, Mexico and Puerto Rico. I was able to check the owner's manual and look for the oil specs, which ranged from 5w30-20w50. I don't supposed they machined the engines differently from the ones offered in North America. In my opinion, that wouldn't be very cost-effective. 5w20 in my opinion is to satisfy the government bureaucrats. If people could post their Patriots using 5w20 and their mileage, it would be interesting to see what is the highest mileage is so far. There are Volvos, GMs and Fords that surpassed 1 million miles using 10w30's, 5w30's, etc. Do you guys think cars using 5w20 could duplicate this feat? Just wondering.

#173 ·
I think 10w-30 is a better choice but I've followed the manufacturers recommendations for the most part. Only deviation was some 10w-30 a couple times to top it off when it was down a little. I figure it was still 75% 5w-30.

If I had to garage it outdoors in the winter I think the 5w-30 might be necessary. It only gets really cold here for a few months out of the year, and then the -20 stuff is usually only a couple stretches of a couple days, and lil Ignatz lives in the garage where it rarely dips below +20F. In 8 years its probably not had twenty nights outdoors at colder than -20F. I will admit that on one of those -25F nights the starter had a hard time turning it over in the morning, but it did start, and curiously that was when it was nearly new. Never balked since.

#174 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I find it fascinating, especially this particular car maker has a broad spectrum of oil that you can use for the car outside of North America. But IN North America, the recommended oil selection is limited - and it's the exact same car.
By the way, what's the mileage on your Patriot now? If you don't mind me asking. I plan to use 5W20 in winter and 5W30 in summer (I live in Canada). Thanks.

#175 ·
You can use 5w30 all year long and the only determent will be a fraction of a gallon of gas in regards to MPG and thats the worse case scenario.

#176 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, sir, I'm planning to do just that. Actually, my daughter just picked up her new Pat a few hours ago, and it was an honour to take it for a spin around town! 5-speed, 2.4L, no A/C, roll-down windows, 2wheel drive...it's so bare bones, - exactly what a Jeep should be! :grin2: 4-wheel drive would have been nice, but my daughter can't afford it, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

#178 ·
Just like our two Patriots! ('cept we have the a/c). You're absolutely right, bare-bones is what a jeep should be. 4wd is only needed for serious off-roading, or really deep snow; the rest of those options are toys to push up the price. I hope she loves her Patriot as much as I love mine. :Racing: Drive careful out there!

#180 ·
I'm at 197,000 mile as of now. I've used 5/20 synthetic blend changed every 5,000 miles since day 1 and you'd do just as well using Dino oil (owners manual call for 6,000 changes under normal driving). The engine is as sound as ever, I plan on getting at least another 100,000 out of it.

#184 ·
As per BITOG (2006):

"Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing."

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3174751

#187 ·
As per BITOG (2006):

"Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing."

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3174751
Page 118 of my owners manual notes to use SAE 5W-20 API certified oil, no mention of specific certifications such as SL,SM etc which progress over time. Mobil 1 (and other quality oils) is listed as API certified so I wouldn't worry about it.

#186 ·
#189 · (Edited)
Who knows, politics maybe? I've read Chrysler had a partnership with Shell and Shell owns Pennzoil, whose Platinum synthetic meets the standard, but then so does Mobil's Super Synthetic.
Kinda like the Patriot tire sizes. For several years the only 205/70-16s on the market were Goodyear and Dunlop, and Goodyear owns Dunlop. Initially my dealer would only install OEM size. Now at least General and Firestone make that size.

#188 ·
I have 220,000 miles on my Patriot and I've always used any good conventional oil with changes every 5,000 miles.
Sorry but while synthetics are better they are also a complete waste of money.
I hope to get 300+ on my inexpensive little Patriot using conventional oil. Does anyone think they're going to get any more using synthetic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.