Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Won’t shift out of park

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RossoRacer 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Jeep Patriot and I can’t shift out of park. Had it at the dealer and they could not find anything wrong but it magically started working again when I got it back, but once again I cannot get it out of park. Yes, I’m putting the brake on and yes the car is on.

#2 ·
Could be a problem with the shift interlock cable, or a problem with the stop lamp switch sticking or out of adjustment. If the computer doesn't get a "brake applied" signal from the switch it won't let you shift out of park

In any event, if the shift lever gets stuck in the park position, you can use the override release inside the shifter housing to temporarily move it. Here's the procedure:

1. Turn the engine OFF.
2. Firmly apply the parking brake.
3. Using a small screwdriver or similar tool, remove the shift lever override access cover (located on the right side of the shifter housing).
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ACC or ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.
5. Press and maintain firm pressure on the brake pedal.
6. Insert the screwdriver or similar tool into the access port, and push and hold the override release lever forward.
7. Move the shift lever to the NEUTRAL position.
8. The vehicle may then be started in NEUTRAL.
9. Reinstall the shift lever override access cover.

#3 ·
Either what Sandstone said, or something got stuck under the mechanical piece at the other end of that lever, directly under the airbox at the rear of the engine bay. Compressor for my Dixie horn used to slip under there, and I couldn't move the shifter until I'd moved that compressor out of the way. Didn't take me long to figure a way to keep it up out of the way, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.