Towing a 4' x 8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Towing a 4' x 8' Cargo Trailer from U-Haul?

Hey everyone, I'm planning on moving a fairly long distance soon, and seeing what my options are for moving. Getting movers or renting a cube van, etc. gets super expensive pretty quickly, so I am looking at some other options. I have a 2009 Patriot, 4x2, and I am wondering if I'd be able to tow those 4' x 8' Cargo trailers at uhaul (their smallest trailer you can tow)... probably just tow our clothes, a few small appliances, and some electronics and whatnot. Would this be at all possible do you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Without the tow package the Patriot capacity is 900 lbs. With the tow package its 1800 lbs. Really these aren't tow vehicles. If its one of those small U-Haul trailers as you say, I'd risk it myself. This might be a good time to get a transmission cooler. They aren't expensive and might save you a lot more in the long run. And speaking of transmission, if you have the CVT you should know that the transmission fluid should be changed at 50-60,000 miles (the recommendation in the owner's manual is way too long). If you haven't changed it, I'd definitely get it done before your trip.

How far are you moving? If you planning on crawling through mountains or crossing a desert, I don't think I'd make my Patriot do that. Then again, you can get away with a lot if you don't drive it hard and stop frequently to let it cool down. I used my 5-spd Wrangler to pull a 2-axle livestock trailer filled with heavy furniture when I moved last year. This area is hilly, but there were no mountains involved. I made two trips, about 40 miles each way; I stayed on lightly traveled roads, watched my engine temp, and kept my speed down.

Last edited by Ignatz; 06-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Garage
I've towed 1800lbs - 2000lbs down I-5 for 300 miles without any problems. But i didn't go over any large mountain ranges and my CVT fluid is always has fresh as a summers day. You need to estimate the weight of your stuff (inside the car and in the trailer) and add that to the weight of the trailer. If your close 2K then your good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
empty weight of enclosed 4x8 is 850 lbs
unless you have tow package that leaves no room on 1000 tow limit
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything larger than a toy tricycle with a CVT equipped Patriot. Especially if we're talking about a 10 plus year old model.

Speaking from experience as the owner of a used Pat which we bought at 120000 miles. Experiencing trans problems which I've discussed in a different thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode