Patriot 2.4 CVT, pinion bearing noise. Advice? - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

1Likes
  • 1 Post By firstj33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Patriot 2.4 CVT, pinion bearing noise. Advice?

Hi, first time poster! Thanks for all the info that's available through the forum!

Long story short, a CVT equipped Patriot, year 2007 with drivetrain grinding noise. Picks up with speed, is loud, feels like you drive 50mph in second gear even if you dont

The PTU was suspected at first, car's been in for diagnosis now and unfortunately seems to be coming from the CVT transmission, more exactly the final drive part of it. Bad news that it's an integrated part of the CVT as I understand, no way to fix it without removing the whole transmission from the car.

Sounds exactly like this: (tried to link to a youtube vid but since it's my first post I'm not allowed to) anyways the video title you Youtube is Jeep pinion bearing going bad.

Pinion bearing... not much to do though as it seems to be integrated. I've been adviced to look for a replacement transmission or rebuild the current. But a rebuild will cost more than finding a decent one from a car part broker.

So basically I guess this is what I have to do, but still wanted to put it out here to check if someone else has gotten this, is familiar with the noise in the video and what you did in the situation...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:10 PM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Yup, that's the one!

Thanks for helping me post it Sandstone!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Also, since the Dodge Caliber CVT uses the same transmission. Would it be a straight swap I find a good Caliber CVT gearbox instead of a Patriot one? (there's plenty more Calibers around here than Patriots, so that's why I'm asking )
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstj33p View Post
Also, since the Dodge Caliber CVT uses the same transmission. Would it be a straight swap I find a good Caliber CVT gearbox instead of a Patriot one?
I don't remember anyone here swapping a Caliber CVT into a Patriot, but apparently (according to an ebay ad) they're compatible. Probably have to have a dealer flash the PCM/TCM when you're done. Sorry I don't have anything better to offer, maybe someone else can chime in.

eBay

PLEASE USE THE BELOW PARTS COMPATIBILITY LIST AS THE MOST ACCURATE PART FITMENT OPTIONS. THE EBAY PARTS COMPATIBILITY LIST MAY NOT HAVE ALL OPTIONS LISTED. THIS PART WILL FIT THESE MAKES AND MODELS WITH THESE OPTIONS

Please confirm compatibility below before purchase

Compatible with Manufacturer's OEM #:
04872840AE, 04872840AF, 4872840AE, 4872840AF, 68000840AC, 68000840AE, 68000840AF, R8000840AF

PATRIOT 10 AT; (CVT), 2.4L, 4WD, w/o off road crawl ratio; auxiliary cooler
COMPASS 10 AT; (CVT), 2.4L, 4WD, w/o off road crawl ratio; auxiliary cooler
PATRIOT 07-09 AT; (CVT), 2.4L, 4WD, w/o off road crawl ratio
CALIBER 07-09 AT; (CVT), 2.4L, AWD
COMPASS 07-09 AT; (CVT), 2.4L, 4WD, w/o off road crawl ratio

Description
This part came from a 2007 Dodge Caliber
Stock# EH6250

Our Inventory Notes About this Part:
5-06,2.4L,CVT,AWD,RT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! sure most info I can find points to it being a straight swap as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Correction regarding pinion bearing. According to one mechanic I've been consulting there's no pinion bearing in these CVT boxes, so would probably be the differential bearing that is causing the noise and is worn/broken. Found a post here that also describes the noise from the differential bearing as being similar to pinion bearing noise... so kinda makes sense, but doesn't make it any better. That thing is still inside the CVT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Currently eyeing one used gearbox with production number 04872750AC, which according to Mopar Overstock will fit: https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...8000750AC.html

Wonder what the difference between that gearbox above and the one you linked to with the production number: 04872840AE is..? They both list as fitting a 2007 2.4L CVT Limited 4x4...

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...8000840AF.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Found a talented guy who repairs Jatco CVTs and other automatics, so the jeep is going to his shop on a trailer now. He'll remove the gearbox and open it up, if it's nothing else than the bearings and the damage isn't too bad he'll repair it and put it back in. If it's too far gone, I'll order a replacement from a salvage yard and he'll fit that in instead.
custard101 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Where is the tranny shop located? I am in Pittsburgh PA; I am looking for someone to do the same as you in my jeep. Thanks.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstj33p View Post
Found a talented guy who repairs Jatco CVTs and other automatics, so the jeep is going to his shop on a trailer now. He'll remove the gearbox and open it up, if it's nothing else than the bearings and the damage isn't too bad he'll repair it and put it back in. If it's too far gone, I'll order a replacement from a salvage yard and he'll fit that in instead.
Any good repair shops around that will replace the differential bearing instead of a tranny swap? I have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode