Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackmatter
  • 1 Post By r mckee
  • 1 Post By Ignatz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry Failed Clutch at 30,000 Miles??

So my clutch went out on me two weekends ago when I was driving through a snow storm on my way to Flagstaff, AZ. The car just slipped out of gear and I lost pressure on the pedal...couldn't get it back in gear immediately.

I did manage to get it running again and we limped the 28 or so miles in to town before leaving it for the night. Had it towed to a mechanic the next day.

Long story short I had to replace my entire clutch kit at a cost of about $1,300. This was extremely frustrating as I only have 30,000 miles on the car, and the part is out of warranty.

More frustrating is that upon driving off the mechanic's lot it was immediately clear to me that I never had a working clutch on this vehicle. The car handled *much* better than it ever has. I suspect I have had a faulty clutch for as long as I've had the car (I bought it new, in Nov. 2013).

Reading through this forum I am finding a lot of familar stories. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck bringing this up with their dealer and/or Chrysler?

I've driven manuals my entire adult life and I have *never* had an issue with a clutch going out -- much less going out at 30K miles. I do not ride it, and there are no clear reasons for this failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM

Mine went out at 36,000 miles; but I use it hard on mountains and long 4x4 trips. Still, you're right, I've had manuals and this is clutch should be tougher. I've been reading that the Pat's clutch is a weakness in this vehicle.
PCMarmot likes this.

2016 Jeep Patriot 4x4
215/70/16 General Grabber AT2s
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Garage
As I recall the trip to Flagstaff is uphill the whole way from Phoenix. I'm amazed you ever got it going again. Good work.

There aren't too many problems with manual trannys in general, nor with Patriot clutches, but right now we have 2 active threads on the topic. I haven't checked for redundancy. Problems under 100,000 are certainly abnormal.

Wifey has a 2014 Patriot 5-spd that so far has been fine (80,000 miles). It chatters a bit in reverse, but only if backing upgrade. Fortunately we don't go far in reverse. I once had a '60 Ford Falcon and the clutch chattered in 1st from day one, and it was ridiculous in reverse, I mean the windows would shake! Still I put 60,000 more miles on it, taking it to 120,000 total -- not bad by 1960s standards. Replaced a lot of stuff, but never touched the clutch.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback -- there are several threads indicating premature clutch failure for other folks in this forum. Some seem more related to the master cylinder possibly. I've never had an issue with a clutch before and as I say every car I've owned has been a manual. I'm used to driving back roads (even without 4-wheel drive). It's a shame because I like most everything else about the Patriot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMarmot View Post
Thanks for the feedback -- there are several threads indicating premature clutch failure for other folks in this forum. Some seem more related to the master cylinder possibly. I've never had an issue with a clutch before and as I say every car I've owned has been a manual. I'm used to driving back roads (even without 4-wheel drive). It's a shame because I like most everything else about the Patriot.
Recurrent transmission problems are why i finally ditched my Patriot.

You're right, when they're running they're great little cars. But after three transmission failures (and three sets of LCAs, and a handful of other small problems), I couldn't fathom pulling the transmission one more time for yet another clutch-related issue. We're a one-car family, for better or worse, and while the Patriot was paid off a couple years ago, I just couldn't keep renting cars every time something happened.

My best lesson in all my years of Patriot ownership was not to hold onto ANY car for too long. And I definitely held onto my Patriot for too long. Hate to say it, but I'm so happy I got rid of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:43 PM

I had my clutch go out 2 weeks ago on a 2017 Patriot. It has 9400 miles on it. The Jeep/Chrysler dealer said it was user error and wouldn't be covered by warranty. I've had manual transmissions for 45 years, and no problems. The car had never been off road, or involved in any other type possible abuse! I've contacted the FCA consumer group, and they called the dealer, but according to them, fixing this is at the dealers discretion. What kind or warranty is that? They can fix it if they feel like it?
I also own a Chrysler Pacifica. If they don't fix the Jeep they will lose me as a customer for sure. Done with bad engineering blamed on consumers!
nancyecole likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r mckee View Post
I had my clutch go out 2 weeks ago on a 2017 Patriot. It has 9400 miles on it. The Jeep/Chrysler dealer said it was user error and wouldn't be covered by warranty. I've had manual transmissions for 45 years, and no problems. The car had never been off road, or involved in any other type possible abuse! I've contacted the FCA consumer group, and they called the dealer, but according to them, fixing this is at the dealers discretion. What kind or warranty is that? They can fix it if they feel like it?
I also own a Chrysler Pacifica. If they don't fix the Jeep they will lose me as a customer for sure. Done with bad engineering blamed on consumers!
Reach out to Jeep Cares on this website. They've been helpful to others with premature problems or dealer issues.
Flamewave likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r mckee View Post
When you say it "went out," what exactly do you mean? Bearing fail? Slipping? Hydraulic leak? (That said, I don't know if these have hydraulic or mechanical clutches). Anyway, a little more description would be helpful if you actually want help. I see you're a first time poster** so if you only joined to vent you can stop reading here.

I had a '93 Cherokee that I sold after 6 months for a variety of reasons, but the clutch was a reason. At the time I'd been driving clutches for 20 years on everything from sports cars to farm equipment. To their credit the dealer didn't blame me . . . nor could they fix it.

In my case the first symptom was the hydraulic fluid (read that brake fluid) kept going down. First symptom was the pedal went to the floor and still couldn't fully disengage; then after a couple refills, the clutch started slipping. The first couple starts in the morning were like the tires were on ice -- it would slip for a moment than catch (as it smeared the fluid all over the clutch and probably burned some off. Putting 2+2 together I deduced the fluid was draining onto the clutch plates. Trouble is, even if the leak was fixed, it had been dripping a corrosive onto my clutch for 6 months. And no, after 4 visits they still couldn't fix it, but gave it a different diagnosis each time (a CYA to protect themselves from the lemon law). Then I got rear-ended, followed by shoddy body work from the out-of-town dealer where the accident happened, followed by blatant dishonesty by the same shop (my insurance company intervened), and then the clutch started slipping again. Like a horse, I shot it; well, no, after 6 months aggravation on a brand new vehicle, I traded it in, and for 3 more comparable payments I was into a brand new (different brand) that went the distance for me.

I hope your story had a happy ending. Please keep us informed.

**Since you're new, welcome to the site! Patriots are really rather reliable vehicles. We've got a 2014 with a manual and its over 100,000 miles with no problems other than a chatter in reverse that we can live with. My '08 made it to 280,000 and its still on the road.

Last edited by Ignatz; 11-22-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:22 PM

It's not the norm and it's not acceptable but I haven't heard of anything being done over a clutch. I'm a little over 250,000 miles and I'm on my third transmission.
I replaced my clutch when the first transmission went at around 105,000 miles and when the second tranny went a about 60,000 miles ago. Both clutches were still working well but since the transmissions were replaced under my added care plus lifetime warranty and the labor was free while they had it apart I opted to put in a new clutch each time. About 2 months ago I experienced my first premature clutch failure which had between 50-60,000 miles on it. The pressure plate simply came apart. I had to pay for the labor on this one which wasn't cheap and I opted to have the shop replace the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder while it was apart. IMO you should be able to get more than 100,000 miles out of a clutch.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM

I have a 2017 Patriot the Bumper to Bumper warranty is still in effect , yet the clutch has gone saying its driver error. I’ve been drive manual transmission Since 16 yrs old , At 50 yrs they say driver error. Love the Patriot in all ways of its handling /driving. There has to be a blanket type of coverage isn’t there like damn it’s under 60,000 km and under 3yrs . I can’t see a clutch going so soon , km is at 40,123.00 . Isn’t there a secret hidden warranty still in effect ? Unhappy feels like am paying for a dead horse. Love my Patriot someone have any ideas.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartwin Jeffrey View Post
I have a 2017 Patriot the Bumper to Bumper warranty is still in effect , yet the clutch has gone saying its driver error. I’ve been drive manual transmission Since 16 yrs old , At 50 yrs they say driver error. Love the Patriot in all ways of its handling /driving. There has to be a blanket type of coverage isn’t there like damn it’s under 60,000 km and under 3yrs . I can’t see a clutch going so soon , km is at 40,123.00 . Isn’t there a secret hidden warranty still in effect ? Unhappy feels like am paying for a dead horse. Love my Patriot someone have any ideas.
Welcome! Glad you're here, but sorry for your circumstance. When you say the clutch has gone, what are your symptoms? Slipping? bearing noise? Tell us a little more.

My clutch has been chattering in reverse since it was new; I just ignore it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage
the clutches are weak imho.

driver error. right. i had them try to tell me that regarding some issues i had with my shifter- they put it on the work order and i went ballistic. told them no, lets go for another drive and you show me what i am doing wrong. they just redid the paperwork stating it was working as expected.

i forget exactly what issue i was having but my original trans and clutch lasted while i had it from new till 75k miles when i traded it in on my 2019 mustang gt.

i currently have a 2017 patriot 4x4 with the 6spd auto and love it. i also have the lifetime added care plus so if it ever dies, they will pay for the replacement.

i did drive my 2013 with the 4x4 and 5spd manual on the beach and then in the mountains alot with zero issues...

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

2017 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 6spd auto FD! Billet Silver yoko geolandar ats G015's 215/70R16 on stock steelies
e-trailer 2" receiver hitch. wet okole seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chrysler, clutch jeep patriot, jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode