Spark Plugs - Jeep Patriot Forums
Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spark Plugs

I read the my 2016 Patriot owners manual and read plugs should be replaced at 30k miles. Is there a longer lasting Platinum plug that people are running that will go longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:37 PM

A patriot comes with copper plugs. copper plugs should be replaced at about 30k miles. You can put in a platinum (70k miles) or iridium (100k miles), but your engine was designed to run on copper plugs. They take like 5 minutes to change out, and unless you drive a ton of miles, that's 5 minutes every 2-3 years... and the cost is negligible.

I've put longer running plugs in my other cars that require a half a day to replace them, or half an engine disassembly. but on an inline 4? where they are right there on top, and all you have to do is remove that plastic cover? I would stick with copper personally, and change them ever 30K miles.
Ignatz likes this.

2012 FDII Patriot - Sold
1989 Cherokee Pioneer - Sold
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
1998 Mazda B4000 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
I bought Champion double-platinums for $25(for 4 of them), and they've lasted quite a bit. They also are cheaper per mile, as I understand it. Granted, that's roughly $15 for coppers vs $25 for an upgrade, and something you only do once every few years. But every little bit helps, right? Besides, it's a fun way to do a mildly unusual mod that might(I'm hardly an expert) make the engine spark a little cleaner.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM

Garage
Just do the plugs.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:54 PM

You should only install what the OE recommends. If you put in the fancy doo dad unobtanium plugs you might end up with miss fire codes in the computer because of a change in the ignition "coil soak".
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
You should only install what the OE recommends. If you put in the fancy doo dad unobtanium plugs you might end up with miss fire codes in the computer because of a change in the ignition "coil soak".
In some engines that is definitely the case (the old Jeep 4.0L I6 is famous for running like crap on anything but copper), but I haven't seen anything to indicate this is an issue on the GEMA world engine (most modern engines, especially those with coil on plug ignition have no issues with platinum/iridium plugs) and since the 2 other automakers (Hyundai and Mitsubishi) using variants of that engine used iridium from the factory it is likely that Chrysler's use of copper was likely more of a cost saving measure than anything else. As others said changing the plugs on a Patriot is easy enough that there isn't any real reason to use longer life plugs (unless you're paying someone to do it then the labor savings would add up quick, or just don't like changing plugs), but they are unlikely to cause any issues either.
RossoRacer likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Garage
Time is money for me ... well that is when I have the time lol!
I save time and money by putting iridiums in once every 100,000 miles.
RossoRacer likes this.

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
under the hood on the hood itself is a label with Plug #
putting any other plug in could void your engine warranty
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Garage
Thats a pants on fire lie!
Replacing your spark plug with any other aftermarket plug that is spec'd for your Jeep will not void any warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
putting any other plug in could void your engine warranty

Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

~George Carlin
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
A patriot comes with copper plugs. copper plugs should be replaced at about 30k miles. You can put in a platinum (70k miles) or iridium (100k miles), but your engine was designed to run on copper plugs. They take like 5 minutes to change out, and unless you drive a ton of miles, that's 5 minutes every 2-3 years... and the cost is negligible.

I've put longer running plugs in my other cars that require a half a day to replace them, or half an engine disassembly. but on an inline 4? where they are right there on top, and all you have to do is remove that plastic cover? I would stick with copper personally, and change them ever 30K miles.
Ditto! Once you define the correct tools, it takes less than 15 minutes--which allows for hand cleaner, etc.
Ignatz likes this.

Jack Allwardt, Bonney Lake (Tehaleh area), WA; "recovering Californian"; (REPEAT Patriot Owner...'08 Limited and a '16 High Altitude), Retired engineer, US Army veteran, Amateur radio General Class Licensee: K6SNS, Member: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Enumclaw (WA) Lions Club. Former vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
Just looked didn't see any number that closely resembled a part #
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
i dunno, takes me at least 30 minutes. you have to:

1) get tools ready-
magnetic socjket and ratchet with extensions to emove plugs
tx-bit to remove the hold down for the coils
torque wrench
dialextic grease for boots

2)yank the cover off

3)gap the plugs

4)unbolt the coils

5) remove a coil.

6) unscrew a plug

7) insert new plug and torque to 20 ft/lbs

8) repeat steps 3-7 for the other 3.

9)reconnect the coils and bolt down.

10) replace engine cover.

point is, it takes way way more than 5 minutes..LOL..
MacGarage likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Garage
and i always use the copper ngk's that the manual calls for and replace them at 20k miles or so versus 30k miles...

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

2017 patriot sport 4x4 2.4 6spd auto FD! Billet Silver yoko geolandar ats G015's 215/70R16 on stock steelies
e-trailer 2" receiver hitch. wet okole seat covers
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Garage
I just put Bosch Platinum in mine about a month ago. I went to get new spark plugs and Advance auto parts had the bosch platinum plugs on sale for what the copper plugs cost. So, I figured I would try it out. No messages or codes (other GEMA engines are using platinum or iridium from factory), runs fine, no increase in MPG or performance. Nothing magical happening here.
Use whatever spark plugs you want that are listed as compatible for your engine.
Will the platinum plugs last longer than the copper plugs? I guess I'll find out....
RossoRacer likes this.

2014 Black Jeep Patriot, Latitude, FDII, Sun and Sound package, remote start
2015 White Jeep Grand Cherokee, Limited, Luxury group II
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.allwardt View Post
Ditto! Once you define the correct tools, it takes less than 15 minutes--which allows for hand cleaner, etc.
There are people out there who can build an entire Jeep in less time! Soldiers Strip and Rebuild Jeep in Minutes | Military.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode