1 Year Later and I still Like my Cherokar! - Jeep Patriot Forums
Other Jeeps Discuss other Jeep vehicles (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee,
Commander, Liberty and any discontinued platforms)

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

1 Year Later and I still Like my Cherokar!

Thought I would check in with the forum as I've browsed it briefly throughout the past few months.

I'm still enjoying my 2016 Trailhawk V6 and the mods have begun, Intake/Exhaust LED Conversion ECT

I have a lift kit for it as well (hazard sky Kit) but I've yet to install it. Turns out just like MK platform these is issues with alignment and CV axles getting cooked so I'm not totally set on installing it. This platform is a huge pain in the ass to lift so mods even after 3 years are not easy to come by yet.

There are 3 lifts available
Hazzard Sky (Very cheap lifts about 2")

MFC Offroad Lift 2.5" Solid aluminum Spacers, a bit pricey but worth it.

Dobinson Suspension Lift, 1.5" this kit includes new springs and shocks/struts which allow a bit more articulation, this kit is almost $1000 USD so its pricey but really the only way to lift a Cherokee the proper way.

I've got a set of 245/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W Tires (Got a set for my wife's 2014 Cherokee as well) So if anyone was looking at these tires they are great year round and winter rated.

There has been a million recalls on the KIL platform, one of which related to the transmission wiring, my Cherokee suffered this issue before the recall came out and one day behaved like my transmission had blown up, thankfully it was all fixed up and I haven't had any issues with the transmission since.

I love the KL platform, fuel mileage is great for the vehicle and I've even got to start modding my wife's 2014 after 3 years of begging.

I do miss my Compass though, I recently moved and got a huge garage and all my old parts from my Compass are now in my garage and each day when I look at them I remember how much time and money I spent on that vehicle, and I can only hope I don't end up doing the same with my current Cherokee.

My sister still has her 2016 Compass, so if I can convince her to start modding some of my old parts can go to good use.

The new compass is out and I LOVE the way it looks, its no different than the renegade from a drivetrain perspective so the Trailhawk Version is about equal to the FDII MK's out there, if the new Compass had a proper low range I'd be all over buying one, but I think Jeep hit a home run with it's looks.
nth256 likes this.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
3.2L V6
Hazzard Sky Lift + Bilstien B6
HP Tuners Tuned 93 Octane
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID
Northstar Deep Cycle AGM Battery
Noco Gen1 Mini Onboard Battery Charger
AFE Intake/Flowmaster Super 10 Muffler
245/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM

I do believe someone found a homemade way to do a 2" lift on either jeepform or cherokeeforum using spacers from another Jeep. It was only like $100 or something. We considered the KL but with how darn cheap the MKs were, and that it's wifeys vehicle, it made more sense. Wonder how cheap the new Wagoneer is going to be...
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguymike View Post
I do believe someone found a homemade way to do a 2" lift on either jeepform or cherokeeforum using spacers from another Jeep. It was only like $100 or something. We considered the KL but with how darn cheap the MKs were, and that it's wifeys vehicle, it made more sense. Wonder how cheap the new Wagoneer is going to be...
The cheap homemade lift, and its only cheap in the $ sense is the Hazzard Sky Lift. I have that kit I just haven't installed it yet.

There is some pretty insane deals on the 2017 Patriot and Compass, in Canada you can get a base model FDII for 21K right now.

I complained in the past about warranty issues with my Compass, where I moved to, the local dealership is modification friendly so I will be installing my Hazzard Sky Lift kit, but not before I get my driveshaft and front struts replaced under warranty =)

There is soon to be steel front bumper coming out for the Cherokee, which interests me, so I might still go full retard with modifying my jeep yet!

3.2L V6
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
The cheap homemade lift, and its only cheap in the $ sense is the Hazzard Sky Lift. I have that kit I just haven't installed it yet.

There is some pretty insane deals on the 2017 Patriot and Compass, in Canada you can get a base model FDII for 21K right now.

I complained in the past about warranty issues with my Compass, where I moved to, the local dealership is modification friendly so I will be installing my Hazzard Sky Lift kit, but not before I get my driveshaft and front struts replaced under warranty =)

There is soon to be steel front bumper coming out for the Cherokee, which interests me, so I might still go full retard with modifying my jeep yet!
the original "lift" for KL: There's hope! The off the shelf Cherokee KL lift! - JeepForum.com <-probably not that great for warranties...lol or maybe even insurance... I think the end of that thread shows the bumper?
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

Updated picture of my Cherokee, nothing too fancy a red accent or two, and I bedlined all the plastic trim

easy photo upload

easy photo upload

3.2L V6
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
Thanks for dropping by. Hope your "Cherokar" serves you well.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
The new compass is out and I LOVE the way it looks, its no different than the renegade from a drivetrain perspective so the Trailhawk Version is about equal to the FDII MK's out there, if the new Compass had a proper low range I'd be all over buying one, but I think Jeep hit a home run with it's looks.
I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and I looked close at the new Compass. That thing is so low to the ground with the front fascia that it would be useless to me unless it was the Trailhawk model. At least I can drive through deep snow with a Patriot. I'm glad we bought our Patriot and I hope it lasts forever.
Ignatz and RossoRacer like this.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketmx View Post
I was at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and I looked close at the new Compass. That thing is so low to the ground with the front fascia that it would be useless to me unless it was the Trailhawk model. At least I can drive through deep snow with a Patriot. I'm glad we bought our Patriot and I hope it lasts forever.
I will stay with my patriot, can't say why they even bothered with the 2018 compass. Looks like a Cherokee.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco1 View Post
I will stay with my patriot, can't say why they even bothered with the 2018 compass. Looks like a Cherokee.
Market conditions dictate what people buy, while it might not be your cup of tea they are selling very well.

I could say the same about most patriots and compass' without the FDII package that they aren't the best offroad.

I've recently wheeled with a Renegade TH (Same platform as Compass) and its very impressive.

I"m glad you are happy with your patriot and since you are it really doesn't matter what jeep makes because you don't have to buy it

3.2L V6
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco1 View Post
Assuming we stayed with only one kid I would probably keep buying Patriots if they would have kept making them...I have 0 interest in the compass, and I don't fit comfortably in the Cherokee. I doubt there's any more significant usable space in a Cherokee either.

Quote:
Market conditions dictate what people buy, while it might not be your cup of tea they are selling very well.

I could say the same about most patriots and compass' without the FDII package that they aren't the best offroad.

I've recently wheeled with a Renegade TH (Same platform as Compass) and its very impressive.

I"m glad you are happy with your patriot and since you are it really doesn't matter what jeep makes because you don't have to buy it
I only think they're selling well because they got rid of the Patriot. I think if they would have kept it it would have outside the renegade and new compass. A co-worker and I took our Trailhawk "Rental-gades" out to the New Jersey pine barrens and I don't feel there was anything it could do either of our FD1 MKs could. It may have had a slight advantage climbing hills but it seemed close if not just as pathetic as the FD1 MK. I really wish National would have had FD2 Patriots, I've yet to ever drive one. I have had the chance of driving both 2 door and 4 door wranglers though and am interested in how much the JL 4 door with the 2.0 turbo and 3.0 ecodiesel will be. Otherwise not much else is even worth considering as far as new vehicles...unless the wifey gets her way and we have more kiddies��.

Pine barren pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XmkvERCt8shVQJbY2
Ignatz likes this.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Assuming we stayed with only one kid I would probably keep buying Patriots if they would have kept making them...I have 0 interest in the compass, and I don't fit comfortably in the Cherokee. I doubt there's any more significant usable space in a Cherokee either.
They are really quite close. The only advantage I saw to the new Compass is that the back gate seems to have a larger opening, but the cargo area seemed shallower than the Patriot. I didn't measure, just eyeballing it.
Quote:
I only think they're selling well because they got rid of the Patriot. I think if they would have kept it it would have outside the renegade and new compass.
I think you're right. The Compass has more (unneeded) whistles & bells, but for even money I'd take the Patriot in a heartbeat. For the actual price difference, forget it.

To have been successful, the new Compass could only make the interior dimensions larger than the Patriot without making the outside dimensions larger. Not for me, but a V6 would have helped sales.

FCA had a winner and the only vehicle in its class. Now they're trying to compete with everyone else while forsaking their core market. I really hope they get back to the boxy shape and forget the excess junk. Its a Jeep.

If I had to buy today it would probably be a Renegade, and a stripped-down one at that. Its closer to my Patriot.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 PM

only jeep vehicle I'd be even remotely interested in buying would be a JKU...but I think I'd buy an FORD expedition, truck, maybe even a Toy 4 runner over anything else...vehicles are just so unnecessarily expensive these days with factory crap that I can install myself for 1/10th the cost and have better and more features...in car screens are almost as far behind in tech as industrial PLC networks.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

I figured i'd pop in and give another update (if anyone cares)

I originally bought my Cherokee for lots of offroading adventures, sadly a year and half ago I was transferred for work to a place with little offroad trails. So I decided to take on my KL in a different light....

Attempting to make it go fast. There is quite a market for pentastar engines however what was unknown is how similar or different the 3.2L engine was from the 3.6L

After spening a fair amount of money getting a ported intake manifold, different throttle body and a custom tune, its a wee bit faster. Sadly the track I race at is closed so I have to wait until spring for dyno tuning and racing. My previous best was [email protected]

The biggest difference though was something called HP Tuners MPVI2, their tuning module and software is pretty amazing and the things you can change is awesome (with the downside that 2015+ Chrysler vehicles require an unlocked PCM)

If people want to read more up on my tuning adventures you can here

https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/33-engi...g-reality.html

And here

https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/385-jee...e-3-2l-v6.html

Now this actually does relate to the MK platform, because You can tune some models of KL's

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

Patriot and Compass 2007-2010 & Patriot 2013. They may in fact support all years they probably just haven't had people test it out.

Only 2014 Cherokees are supported on the list however my 2016 works just fine.

Just need to find my old MK friends close to me and I can try my module out and see if I can get a stock read on their vehicle.

3.2L V6
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Garage
Lol, that's barely faster than the Patriot. I took mine to a dragstrip in 2011-2012 and clocked 17 seconds and change at 82mph....and this before I knew to not stomp on it, or to get optimum acceleration at 5500rpm.

Trekkie, trucker, Jeeper, potential racer. Don't touch my trumpets.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Fiat Cherokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoRacer View Post
Lol, that's barely faster than the Patriot. I took mine to a dragstrip in 2011-2012 and clocked 17 seconds and change at 82mph....and this before I knew to not stomp on it, or to get optimum acceleration at 5500rpm.
Barely faster.........a full 1 second in ET, yes the MPH isn't that great due to elevation, that was also basically stock. Tell you what go make a 0-60 and some mid range pulls and tell me your patriot isn't much slower than a vehicle with well over 100hp more than you

Here is my 2008 FDII Patriot

Not much slower really....

They also have handy (although not overly accurate) GPS timers for for phones. Grab an APP and do a 0-60 run and post it here will you? My fully loaded weight is 4600lbs as reference.

I figured you would chime in I was hoping you wouldn't.

What have you done for the patriot community lately? Its been how many years since you got your Patriot? How's that Baja racing coming for you. Put your money where your mouth is and get something done like the rest of us have been doing.

I get it you hate Fiat's and what not but I posted this in the appropriate section. If you took time to read closer Patriots are actually supported in HP tuners so maybe i'll go make a post about that since it's somewhat on topic.

Please let me know when you have proof of your "barely slower" patriot.

Cheers

3.2L V6
Ported 80MM Throttlebody
Ported Intake Manifold
DDM Tuning 55W HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode