Jeep Squeak - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM

RMGRob is on a distinguished road
Jeep Squeak

Hey everyone.

I've got a 2010 4x2 Patriot with 51,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 34,000 a year ago.

When I got it, it had new tires and brakes, the tires now need to be replaced. I'm okay with that.

The breaks seem to be in decent shape. The problem I have is that every now and again, when I'm stopping, I hear a loud metal on metal squeak. It happens when I back out of my driveway (it's a decline down to the street) and sometimes when breaking. Maybe 15-20% of the time breaking.

Anyone experience this or have an idea what it might be? I'm not breaking when going down the driveway, yet it still makes the noise.

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Ride: 2012 Jeep Patriot, grey, 2.4L, 5 speed manual 4x4
Billofthenorth is on a distinguished road
Worn down brake pads can do that, they have a wear tab intended to make noise and warn you as the pads wear down, if you do a lot of city driving or anything that causes you to brake a lot they'll wear faster.

Last edited by Billofthenorth; 04-20-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Could be worn pads.
But the steep makes me think its the abs kicking in.
The abs does make a loud metal grinding sound.
If your ever on a wet roadway, where its safe, brake hard and go into a controlled skid, see if abs sound is the same.
Controlled skid, make sure conditions are safe to do so.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot
Metaxa is a glorious beacon of light
OP doesn't say where he is but if it is humid the rotors will rust overnight.
Your first brake application will scrub that off but it does make a noise.

Lets remember that 4x2 Pats have discs up front and drums in the rear.
You need to do two things fairly regularly with drums.
1) Use the E brake or parking brake often. That is how the drums stay in "tune"
2) Drive in reverse and apply brakes. I use an empty parking lot or a deserted country road and simply carve figure 8's in reverse, stopping often, for a few cycles every now and then.

Last thing to remember...if the squealers on your brakes are sounding off, you know it, they squeal and quite loud. If you are getting metal on metal, again you know it, it sounds awful.

If you are getting a random noise its time for the Italian tune up on them, brake hard in reverse, in forward, stomp on them harder than usual. See what happens.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot
Metaxa is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, and you shouldn't need tires after only 17,000 miles.

I'd get my alignment checked if that was my wear out miles.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Then again, abs sound isn't exactly a squeak.
More like a crunch, grind,
Most likely pads
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot 4x2 2.4 CVT
Ignatz is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMGRob View Post
Hey everyone.

I've got a 2010 4x2 Patriot with 51,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 34,000 a year ago.

When I got it, it had new tires and brakes, the tires now need to be replaced. I'm okay with that.

The breaks seem to be in decent shape. The problem I have is that every now and again, when I'm stopping, I hear a loud metal on metal squeak. It happens when I back out of my driveway (it's a decline down to the street) and sometimes when breaking. Maybe 15-20% of the time breaking.

Anyone experience this or have an idea what it might be? I'm not breaking when going down the driveway, yet it still makes the noise.
Did you mean you had OEM tires? Or did it get new replacement tires when you bought it? I'm with Metaxa if those were new and worn out after only 17,000 miles. Only 34,000 from the factory tires isn't very impressive either.
If you got 51,000 out of the factory tires, you did OK.

If you're talking about a squeak, my rear brakes squeak on my 4X2 just before I come to a stop when I'm braking. Always have. The dealer declined to replace the pads. Service mgr said they get dirt in there and she could have them cleaned, but it would be a waste of money. As soon as I got more dirt in there they'd be squeaking again, and I'd come back angry.

Rear brakes (on any vehicle) tend to squeak because they do less work and they will gather rust. They'll rust faster if you park on a dirt driveway, too.

If you're getting a persistent squeak-squeak-squeak on every rotation, its probably the wear indicator telling you to replace the pads. Seems premature at 54,000, however. Some people are getting phenomenal longevity out of Patriot brakes; I'm still on originals at 85,000, and others on this site have gone over 100,000.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Ride: 2008 LTD 4x4 Patriot silver
tynkrbelle82 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to tynkrbelle82
Times for new pads!
I would go with ceramic. I bought some for my Pat in Jan 2011 and this late Jan when I sold it, they were only 5% worn. Not too shabby for 15K miles of wear on them.
I changed them out bc I hit the warning tab for that awesome metal on metal sound *cringe*
Best wishes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Ride: Military Jeep, '08 Patriot LTD, '10 VW Beetle
jack.allwardt has a spectacular aura about
Mine squeaks when backing out of the garage and stopping on the inclined driveway. It seems very prevelant when the car has been thru rain or the carwash and it's only in Reverse. My pads get checked with every oil change and with 55,000 miles, are still in good shape--but then I don't drive as if every stop sign is going to turn green...

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement (I can kill 'most anything with an airplane...),vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot, and elected city councilman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.