235/75/15 Duratrac & 15" Ravine Wheels - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM

Ride: 2010.5 Latitude Sport FDII Sun/Sound, No leaks
Sandstone is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up 235/75/15 Duratrac & 15" Ravine Wheels

Well, we got them on, and put a few miles on them. Overall I'm impressed.

Looks-wise, the aggressive tread and wider stance IMO make a huge difference.

Clearance-wise there's a gain of about 1/2" over stock. Not huge, but I'll gladly take it.
There's no evidence of rubbing or rim/caliper contact, and we haven't used any spacers.

Weight-wise, Ravine rims are 18 lbs and each Duratrac is 35lbs (I weighed each) for a combined total of 53 lbs. This is about 3 lbs more per wheel over stock for a modest increase of 12 lbs in un-sprung weight. No drop in acceleration was noticed.
For more info on the Ravine rims w/pics go here: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94871

The ride quality on the road is similar to the SRA in firmness, and it seems to take bumps and potholes perhaps a bit better. Steering is responsive, with very little drift or wander. I did experience the "squishy-ness" that others have mentioned, but it's hardly there at all. At this point I don't see it as a problem, it's just be something that takes a little getting used to.

I expected diminished cornering capability due to the tread design and taller sidewall, but so far this hasn't been the case. Negotiating tight curves on mountain highways is solid; I drove them as I would the SRA's and they held firm.

Road noise is higher than the SRA's, but not enough to be a problem for us. Conversations can be had a normal levels, and one more notch on the radio is usually enough to cover it. You tend to hear it the most on deceleration, and when going through a tunnel while the sunroof and windows are open.

On our way back into town, we hit a downpour on the Interstate. The handling was very good; no hydroplaning, solid when changing lanes, and good stopping power.

Off-road performance was very impressive; the traction is excellent. We ran into deep, ice crusted snow to the point where we were starting to high center. Where the SRA's would have broke traction and spun, the Duratrac's kept digging and pulled us through. We tried a rocky section of trail with much the same results.

Mileage-wise so far seems normal. Our 100+ mile trip of mixed up/down hill interstate and low range off-roading averaged about 21 MPG.

The Duratrac's look like they'll be a very good all-around performer, the only tradeoff so far being a little extra tire noise.

Last edited by Sandstone; 11-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Life Long Jeeper

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport "Sahara Edition" 4x4 CVT
mrg455 will become famous soon enough
I really like how aggressive they look. good luck with them!
Alpine double din dvd, 200w Kicker 4 channel amp, CDT 6x9's in the corners, Viper Alarm/Remote start, Black Shorty Antenna, Patriot Rear Insert, Mud Flaps, Dog Cargo Netting, Husky cargo liner and my favorite accessory...a safety 1st car seat for jr!

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”~John Wayne
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Ride: 2012 Rav4 Limited 4wd V6, former 2011 Limited FDII
MrJeepR44 is a jewel in the rough
Whoa, what's up with those wheels?? Did I miss a post somewhere about 15" wheels that actually work? Did I already comment on it and forgot? Please share the link for that post, or give some detail on the wheels!

EDIT:
I found the post

Last edited by MrJeepR44; 04-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Ride: 2012 MK limited FDII / 2004 WJ rock crawler
MKP12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJeepr44 View Post
Whoa, what's up with those wheels?? Did I miss a post somewhere about 15" wheels that actually work? Did I already comment on it and forgot? Please share the link for that post, or give some detail on the wheels!

EDIT:
I found the post
I'm gonna take a guess and say that just like us Jeep WJ owners a 15" wheel will not fit unless it has at least 4"s of back spacing to clear the calipers. In most cases this means using steel wheels, although there have been reports of other non steel wheels working as long as the back spacing is right.

EDIT: just noticed your edit, lol but I'll leave my post anyway.

Lol... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4znGSK2uEc

Last edited by MKP12; 04-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Regular Schlub

Ride: JKU, WJ, GTO, 1125R
FailWheelDrive has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to FailWheelDrive
Very cool wheel/tire combo! Those are my fav factory Jeep wheels, if I find a set locally for cheap I'll scoop them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.