Won't start - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Ride: 2008 Patriot 2.4L 4x4
08lemon is on a distinguished road
Won't start

Hi all,

After reading some archived forum posts, my problem is yet to be solved.

2008 2.4L won't crank. I've tried the following things:

-Checked fuses
-Alternator tested and is ok
-Starter connection seems ok
-Brand new battery
-Thought it was the starter relay, bypassed it by connecting the two yellow wires and it would crank the starter but not fire.
-By other posts, it doesn't seem to be a key fob issue.

Got a price check on a new TIPM and it is $586...yikes

Also, the transmission, battery, ESP and traction control lights are on when the key is turned to On.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by 08lemon; 02-25-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot FDII Ltd.
goser is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the problem I had... where was the starter relay that you bypassed located?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08lemon View Post
Hi all,

After reading some archived forum posts, my problem is yet to be solved.

2008 2.4L won't crank. I've tried the following things:

-Checked fuses
-Alternator tested and is ok
-Starter connection seems ok
-Brand new battery
-Thought it was the starter relay, bypassed it by connecting the two yellow wires and it would crank the starter but not fire.
-By other posts, it doesn't seem to be a key fob issue.

Got a price check on a new TIPM and it is $586...yikes

Also, the transmission, battery, ESP and traction control lights are on when the key is turned to On.

Any ideas appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goser View Post
Sounds like the problem I had... where was the starter relay that you bypassed located?
It is built in to the back of the main fuse board or power module (TIPM) depending on who is describing it. Just traced the starter command wire from the selenoid back through the car to that part of the fuse panel. I'm starting to wonder if it could be a neutral sensor where ever that is.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot FDII Ltd.
goser is on a distinguished road
I don't have a lot of details on the repair my dealer did, but try removing the driver's side inner fender lining and check for a relay in a housing which may have corroded wires or a broken terminal.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the entire left side pulled apart since that is where the main wire harness goes into the car. I removed the wire protective wrap and inspected the wire from the start of the fender to where it goes into the firewall. Forward of the fender, there is a large jumble of wires. Once box I haven't looked at is a small black plastic case at the bottom of the fender.

We had problems with wiring and the ESP/4x4 on it before and I'm wondering if this is stemming from the same problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
POTM November 2008

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FD1, 5 speed. 25D long live vinyl seats
jepstr67 is a jewel in the rough
If you have checked all that other stuff I'd think either, yes the neutral/Park sensor or on manuals, the sensor that checks if the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Or......mice ate your ignition source wire, like on my Patriot.
l_/--\_l__l/--\0lllllll0
_(o)) _) _(o))---))_______________________________
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepstr67 View Post
If you have checked all that other stuff I'd think either, yes the neutral/Park sensor or on manuals, the sensor that checks if the clutch pedal is pushed in.

Or......mice ate your ignition source wire, like on my Patriot.
Ah mice...oops, i mean nice!

Do you happen to know where the neutral sensor is located? Or what it looks like?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Ride: 08 Patriot Limited
Alamocoastie is on a distinguished road
Is it auto or manual?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Auto.

Just changed the Neutral Safety Backup as the dealer refers to it. Was under the battery bracket attached to the control rod from the gear selector in the dash. No go.

Also, pulled a TIPM (circuit board) out of a similar model from my uncles scrap yard and tried it. No go also.

I've notice the transmission, battery, ABS and ESP lights are still on. Is there a way to reset them? I'm starting to wonder if the CVT fluid is too low similar to DEF/urea in diesels.

Going to have it towed tomorrow night after I talk to the extended warranty company to let them know I think its related to a previous service where the ABS/ESP lights were on and would not allow the 4x4 to engage. I'm getting frustrated.

I was looking forward to getting a new Charger in a year or two and the dealer here is putting bad customer service on the line since they don't wan't to assist with the problem. They just want a significant amount of dough to look into the problem and cover up what the did last time again.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Ride: 08 Patriot Limited
Alamocoastie is on a distinguished road
Any update on this?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Had it towed on Friday.

Dealer said it is in fact the TIPM and they want $1400 to change the part. I don't understand since it only takes me about 20 mins to pull and replace the part but it takes their mechanic 6 hrs?

Needless to say, I'm going in to speak with them.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM

hixs is on a distinguished road
Patriot won't start

A friend of mine bought a Jeep Patriot. After about a week it wouldn’t start. A variety of mechanics tried to find the problem and was unsuccessful. Is was brought to a dealer and repaired. The problem via dealer was the wiring harness for TIPM module. The harness they replaced (listing by the barcode’s on relay block) are
454AB
P05084454AB
T-AWE2907AD169
16238BZ
The relay (G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12)(4) on that block had corroded the terminal and the block connection off eliminating the starting ability amongst other things.
The repair was $1267.00. The affected area could have been repaired without the harness replacement. I have taken pix to show the faulty harness relay block and will post them on a Jeep site but is seems I can't post pix here. Don't know why but if you know how please contact me so I can provide pix of problem
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM

drewinator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hixs View Post
A friend of mine bought a Jeep Patriot. After about a week it wouldn’t start. A variety of mechanics tried to find the problem and was unsuccessful. Is was brought to a dealer and repaired. The problem via dealer was the wiring harness for TIPM module. The harness they replaced (listing by the barcode’s on relay block) are
454AB
P05084454AB
T-AWE2907AD169
16238BZ
The relay (G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12)(4) on that block had corroded the terminal and the block connection off eliminating the starting ability amongst other things.
The repair was $1267.00. The affected area could have been repaired without the harness replacement. I have taken pix to show the faulty harness relay block and will post them on a Jeep site but is seems I can't post pix here. Don't know why but if you know how please contact me so I can provide pix of problem
Can you send me those pictures of this?? I am sure that I am going to need this exact repair and the stealership just quoted me $2000!!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM

PurpleDonkey is on a distinguished road
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot with 21 miles and 4 days after we took possession of it wouldn't start for when the tow truck driver arrived it started for him, but I took it to the dealer anyway. They had it for several days and said it wouldn't repeat the problem and no codes were found when they checked it. About 60 days later it did it again would not start with repeated attempts with both keys, this time the dealer claimed they replaced the security module. 30 days later and then 8 days later same thing won't start even with both new keys and security module after a dozen tries. But when it gets to dealer it starts right up. Dealer claims they can't fix it cuz it's intermittent and no codes appear. Has any one else had this issue with a brand new Jeep Patriot 2014? Please help!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Ride: Military Jeep, '08 Patriot LTD, '10 VW Beetle
jack.allwardt has a spectacular aura about
Try and document the conditions and situations where and when the failure occurs. Time of day, environmentals, was the vehicle running just before and still warm, or a cold start in the am or even later in the day after not running all day...these are some the items that <can> assist in dealer troubleshooting. And, see if you can't re-create the symptoms yourself after determining when the failure occurs. This sounds tough to do, but intermittent problems need a lot of input to solve without throwing the entire parts dept at the vehicle!

Good luck, and PLEASE let us know what comes of this..

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement (I can kill 'most anything with an airplane...),vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot, and elected city councilman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
relay, starter, tipm, wcm, won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.