2011 Patriot Noise - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Ride: 2011 Jeep Patriot
bpwingman45 is on a distinguished road
2011 Patriot Noise

My 2011 Patriot has been making a noise shortly after I bought it with 2miles. It happens very sporadically, and is often hard to hear, must have the music fully down or off. It is most present when it has been sitting overnight or for multiple hours. It is a 4x4 sport, 5-speed. When i get in and start to drive, I will hear a noise that I can best describe as a ping pong ball popping around the passenger front wheel area. It makes a couple pops and that is it. Never hear it when hitting bumps, around turns or anything like that. I am very mechanically inclined, but I cannot narrow this down. It currently has 7000 miles. I really don't trust my local dealer, so I am trying to narrow down the cause before I go there. If it warrants work, I surely will go, but prefer to avoid them at all cost. Also, It doesn't seem to matter whether it is cold, warm, rainy etc. I still hear occasionally. It doesn't happen all the time. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot 4x2 2.4 CVT
Ignatz is a jewel in the rough
Maybe something warming up under the dashboard? Check under the seat for an empty water bottle with the cap on. The first time I heard one of those crackle as the compartment warmed up I thought it was my windshield.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Yeas, it is very puzzling. I have had a recent service, and they do a multi point(?) inspection. They check all of the suspension components, said they were all good to go. It only happens when I start out, especially on a hill. It does it alot when pulling out of my driveway, which is a hill. A coupel pops then thats it. May even be something with my brakes after sitting?? I will bring it up to the service department at my next service, and make sure they check everything. I used to drive an 05 F150 which made more noises than I could count!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Geek

Ride: '08 Pilot EX-L: 4x4, AT - '99 XJ Sport: 4x4, AT
jlobaugh has a spectacular aura about
I have the same drivetrain and hear the same noise. It only happens when it's cold out and it seems to go away at the transmission warms up. I thought it could be the unused gears clunking around. I plan on addressing it with the dealer when I take it in for inspection in a month.

"I can do more with a pocketknife than most can with an entire toolbox." -me
Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 PM

That was also a thought of mine. I crawled around under it checking everything I could think of, nothing. Please post back your results, I will do the same if I find anything out. It is completely silent over bumps etc.., just the first takeoff it makes a few noises. Other than that, I could not be happier!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Geek

Ride: '08 Pilot EX-L: 4x4, AT - '99 XJ Sport: 4x4, AT
jlobaugh has a spectacular aura about
I'm at 14,000 miles, but I didn't notice the noise until around 10K. Like I said, it only seems to happen when the temp is below 40, and I bought the Jeep in late April. I saw that you are not happy with your dealer, if you happen to love anywhere near Erie, Humes Jeep in Waterford(15mi South of Erie) has a top notch service department. I have purchased 3 vehicles from them and they were all serviced by them at one point, and I am nothing but satisfied.

"I can do more with a pocketknife than most can with an entire toolbox." -me
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 PM

Ride: 2012 Rav4 Limited 4wd V6, former 2011 Limited FDII
MrJeepR44 is a jewel in the rough
The only noise I hear resembling ping pong balls is when I turn the key to "on", but not start. As the fuel pump and electronics turn on I hear a bit of a clicking noise, but it sounds pretty normal to me. Probably isn't related...
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 -- Brilliant Black
MoeBucks is on a distinguished road
I hear this too. It sounds like it's coming from the Passenger door. A weird rattle. When I first reported the sound to my dealership, they checked and found a broken clip on one of my front shields, but obviously, that wasn't causing the rattle. I now see this is a common problem. My Patriot is not even 2 years old, barely has 5,000 miles, and I hear noises EVERYWHERE.

Wind noise
Rattle at start-up from passenger side
Drivers seat starting to creak even though I barely drive it
Center armrest starting to creak even though I barely drive it
Squeak/Creak in back (95% resolved with recent stop to dealership)

Poor quality overall. I wasn't expecting the best car in the world for the $25,000 or whatever it was that I paid, but so soon?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM

I am actually about an hour south of Erie, Franklin ( Venango). The only noise I hear is the one I described. I am planning on addressing it with the dealer within the next month. I don't believe it is suspension related, sounds more like drive train, maybe cold cv joint, bearing.... I am also wondering if it has something to do with the HSA, and if any auto transmission owners hear it...Just a thought? My patriot has 7000 miles, bought brand new last June. If it is nothing major, I really don't care about the noises.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Colombian is on a distinguished road
Hi ,

I also have a 2011 patriot sport with 5 speed tranny. Lately temps have dropped well below 14 degrees F here in Ontario. I also recently changed my factory oil for mobil 1 synthetic. Not sure if it is weather related but when I start the car in the morning the motor grind a bit for a few second until the oil starts lubricating. Not sure if that is normal or if thats is the sounds you hearing but thats what I am noticing. It does not happen all the time only when is pretty cold. I also park on an incline . No issues when starting the car after is warmed up.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM

It is not until I start to move... Definitely front passengers side and either drive train or suspension related....It is pretty cold here in Pennsylvania as well, maybe that is why I am noticing it more...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Ride: Patriot 2011 North Edition FWD 5 Speed
BigBear400 is on a distinguished road
Here in Québec Canada it`s very cold and i notice a big noise at -20 C when i turn right or left in acceleration on a stop or red light.
I think is the left axel shaft but i`m not sure.
Mopar 6" OffRoad Light
Mopar Hitch
Short Antenna
Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM

I too seem to notice the noise more when the wheels are turned....
Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM

Ride: Patriot 2011 North Edition FWD 5 Speed
BigBear400 is on a distinguished road
And the noise stop after 15 to 20 min of running.
Mopar 6" OffRoad Light
Mopar Hitch
Short Antenna
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM

It still seems to do it after running for a bit. As long as I stop and then start out again. It will also do it occasionally over speed bumps etc...gotta love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.