Squeak in back FINALLY solved! - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 -- Brilliant Black
MoeBucks is on a distinguished road
Squeak in back FINALLY solved!

As some of you may recall, months and months ago, I had a problem with squeaking from the rear of the Patriot, and a rattle in the front. The rattle was solved by changing the clip to the front shield, but the rear squeak was *supposed* to have been solved by greasing up some parts back there -- I am assuming that they didn't find any damage indicating other problems.

It didn't work. The squeak remained and I just didn't have time to take it back to the dealer to get it looked at. I found the time, and they found the problem. It was the damn emergency brake cable. I guess it was loose or something. Was a simple fix and under warranty.

(Knock on wood because I haven't driven it enough to be 100% sure but so far no squeak in situations that typically cause it)

So for those of you out there that hear a little squeak over bumps, slow turns, reversing, it is NOT normal. Either that emergency brake cable is not right, or you need to change something else.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Ride: 2010 Black Patriot 4x2
SpaceJeep is on a distinguished road
Funny that you mention the rear emergency brake cable. I too went in for the rear end squeak and besides changing the sway bar bushing they re-routed the brake cable.

Read about it on the last post of my thread:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90138

Last edited by SpaceJeep; 02-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEJEEP View Post
Funny that you mention the rear emergency brake cable. I too went in for the rear end squeak and besides changing the sway bar bushing they re-routed the brake cable.

Read about it on the last post of my thread:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90138
Wow. Just read your thread on it. So far just "fixing" the emergency brake cable has done the job. My ride feels better too. I don't know if that creaking/squeaking noise was causing me to feel like the car was falling apart, but it felt better driving.

I don't know how long I'll keep this thing. It's been over a year but I can see the problems coming. I barely have any miles on mine...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Seriously Addicted

Ride: 2009 Liberty KK 4x4
MB is a jewel in the rough
I've had my Jeep in the dealership three different times trying to figure out the noise coming from the front end. I've told them it only happens when I am going slow over bumps. It normally happens in the morning when my Patriot has been cold for a while. I never hear anything when I am going faster roughly the speed limit. I've had them check everything from the sway bars to the ball joints and they have said they don't see anything wrong.

They wanted me to bring it in at night time so they can test it out first thing in the morning to see if they can get it to make a noise. I'm hoping that they find out whats wrong and get it fixed.

Have any of you found that it only made a noise in the morning? or after your Patriot has been sitting for a while?

2009 Liberty 4x4 "Yankee"

MB's Build Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotMB View Post
I've had my Jeep in the dealership three different times trying to figure out the noise coming from the front end. I've told them it only happens when I am going slow over bumps. It normally happens in the morning when my Patriot has been cold for a while. I never hear anything when I am going faster roughly the speed limit. I've had them check everything from the sway bars to the ball joints and they have said they don't see anything wrong.

They wanted me to bring it in at night time so they can test it out first thing in the morning to see if they can get it to make a noise. I'm hoping that they find out whats wrong and get it fixed.

Have any of you found that it only made a noise in the morning? or after your Patriot has been sitting for a while?
Yes. I always noticed more noise early in the morning or late at night, when it's colder and been sitting. I also had more creaking when backing into my driveway at slow speeds, or slow turns.

Tell them to check the emergency brake cable -- if they haven't already. They removed the bracket, adjusted it, and reassembled.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Sept 2009 POTM

Ride: '14 Cherokee TH
UA_who is a jewel in the rough
Any specifics on how the bracket/cable was causing a squeak?

I have noises in mine, and will take a look at it myself if it's simple enough.

'14 White Cherokee TH------------Mods: Nuttin' yet
Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_who View Post
Any specifics on how the bracket/cable was causing a squeak?

I have noises in mine, and will take a look at it myself if it's simple enough.
No clue. All my paperwork states is that, "Tech found cable causing noise. Tech removed bracket, adjusted, blah blah..."

All they told me in person was that it was the emergency brake cable, and that it was hitting stuff. *Shrug* Whatever they did has worked so far. I'm going to do a real test drive soon.

Last edited by MoeBucks; 02-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Ride: 2012 Rav4 Limited 4wd V6, former 2011 Limited FDII
MrJeepR44 is a jewel in the rough
Mine squeaks in the morning and it almost sounds like a stuck brake pad or something, a faint "squeak squeak squeak squeak." I don't notice it when its warmed up. I'm wondering if its the e-brake cable now too

Last edited by MrJeepR44; 02-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
2012 POTY

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot FDI Optic Green
the_jeep_now is a jewel in the rough
mrJ, I have the same thing every morning. I tested a few times by slightly pressing on the brake pedal and the squeak would disappear. My guess it something has to do with cooler temperatures and the moisture in the air.

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour

Last edited by the_jeep_now; 02-07-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Seriously Addicted

My Patriots creaking is very loud. It sounds like crunching metal.

I'm bringing it in to the dealership tonight and letting it sit all night. They are going to work on it first thing in the morning. I'll be extremely mad if they tell me again they don't hear anything. How could they miss it?

MB's Build Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM

MB, you should consider having the tech sit in the passenger seat while you drive, so you can replicate the driving scenarios that cause the creak.

As for me, I let the Patriot sit around for a while and waited until it got cold. I took it for a drive on roads that usually cause the most creaking/squeaking and I found 95% of the noise to be gone. No more creaking at slow speeds, on turns, backing into my driveway, going up or down MOST hills, but I still get a quick creak if I hit multiple bumps at once, or head onto/off a "ramp" such as going from a gas station to the street. Overall, it's WAY better.

The only problem now that I can't hear any creaks, is I'm noticing noise coming from other areas...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Seriously Addicted

Update**

I dropped off my Patriot last night and dropped my keys in the after hours box. I noted that the cause could be the emergency brake cable. This morning when I went to go pick it up. The service manager brought me back to where they were working on other cars and I talked to the technician that worked on my Patriot. He said that they took it out for a test run and didn't hear any noise. They put it up on the lift and checked everything out and could barely make any noise. The technician said he pulled on the brake line and there it went. The loud noise I had been complaining about had been found. He said he would've checked that earlier but they haven't had a problem with it making noise since previous models. They said they lubricated the line and it seemed to fix it. After leaving the dealership I went by a local grocery store which for some reason has several speed bumps in front of it. It didn't make a noise until I hit the last bump. It wasn't as loud as before but barely still there. I guess the true test will be after a few days.

It's times like this that I am so glad that there is a forum where we can share ideas about different problems. I really think they would have told me they didn't find anything wrong if I didn't have asked them to check the brake line.

Thanks MoeBucks for letting me know to ask about that. Hopefully they fixed it this time.

MB's Build Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 PM

I'm glad it's working out for you MB. I did another test drive today and this seems to be the fix we've been dying for. I still get a very small creak on certain bumps, and I noticed if I take a curve at moderate speeds I get a little creak, but it's NOWHERE near as loud and frequent as it was before. Now I hit most bumps and don't hear a sound.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Ride: '08 Silver Sport Patriot, FDII, '02 Silver Neon ES
UPKEV is on a distinguished road
Some familiar experiences.

I am in the process right now of a complete brake overhaul. $900. All new pads, rotors, brake hardware, and emergency brake shoes.

I have gotten 51,500 out of the brakes. I have always had a small squeky noise from the back of the vehicle, because it was status quo it made it hard to hear the little metal noise indicator that new pads were needed.

Also my emergency brake cable is so stretched out I can pull it almost all the way up with just 2 fingers and light pressure.

Overall, I can't complain, over 50,000 and a complete overhaul is money well spent as I have the lifetime on the powertrain.

Since the pat is so dependent on the brakes for a number of function other than stopping I feel pretty good about this repair.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Gricegg@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
I've had my 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport since July 2012 new with 13 miles and 1 year later it has just under 17,000 miles. It has been in the shop 4 times for squeaky noises from the brakes starting at around 11,000 miles. My Jeep dealer replaced the front disk pads and rotors with glaze on pads after I contacted Chrysler Jeep and complained about excessive noise. Chrysler Jeep even paid for car rental for two days.

This last week with 16,909 miles excessive squeaks are even worse. This time there was excessive brake dust in rear drums with some glazing on shoes. The dealer this time for Customer Goodwill changed the rear drums and drums. Has anyone else had brake issues like this? I have turned the esc off each time I start the engine to see if this might make make a difference. Any suggestions? I hope I don't have these issues again after the 3 year warranty is up. Would be interested if any other patriot owners have had issues like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.