Engine Oil Change Intervals? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Doogals is on a distinguished road
Question Engine Oil Change Intervals?

Owner's manual says to change the engine oil every 13,000 km (8,000 miles) - every other vehicle I've owned was always 5,000 km (3,000 miles).

So why does the Patriot get additional engine oil life out of regular 5W-20 if it's not a synthetic or synthetic blend?

Interested to know, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
POTM November 2008

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FD1, 5 speed. 25D long live vinyl seats
jepstr67 is a jewel in the rough
Many newer vehicles have a 6000 mile change cycle. Engines are held to tighter manufacturing tolerances, produce less heat and wear, and generally last longer without failure. I still change mine every 3000 miles. Although I'm beginning to wonder if that is necessary. If you are not going to keep the car 30 years and drive it 700,000 miles, changing the oil more often is just peace of mind, not necessity.
l_/--\_l__l/--\0lllllll0
_(o)) _) _(o))---))_______________________________
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Ride: WHITE 2012 FDII PATRIOT SPORT
ralphfr will become famous soon enough
Question ME TOO???

Hello DOOGALS,

I just picked up my Patriot last weekend and I never asked about service intervals. The book says 8K but I think that is the maximum. From my research this vehicle determines the proper interval all on it's own. Based on many parameters that are run through the ECC like driving style, temp etc... There is another thread here that has lots of good info. You can use the search function to find it. Good Luck with the vehicle.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 PM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
As RalphFR stated, there is a oil change indicator. I have the 2008 model which had a 6000 mile/6 month interval or when the change oil indicator lights up, whichever occurs first. I average 5300-5800 miles per change depending on how and where I drive (it's always towards the lower end if the wife drives it a lot). Mine just went off again at 56,000 miles and my last change was 50,400 so I got a good 5600 miles out of the last change.

And just fyi, all 5W-20 oil is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. There isn't any 5w-20 pure conventional oil (from what I have read on numerous forums and websites).

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous

Last edited by todde702; 02-02-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Ride: 2012 Rav4 Limited 4wd V6, former 2011 Limited FDII
MrJeepR44 is a jewel in the rough
My '06 civic has a 10,000 or 15,000 mile oil change interval. I can't remember which one it is, but its high. I use full synthetic in both vehicles
Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 AM

Ride: 2008 Sport FDI 5MT, Trailer Prep, Mopar Hitch
RHill is on a distinguished road
I change mine every 5,000 miles. It is easy to remember.

As of May, 2012, 28.95 MPG for the first 55,708 miles, 70% highway, 29.7% city, and 0.3% off pavement.
Yokohama Geolander AT-S 215/70R16 all terrain tires. Speedometer corrected by telling the computer I have the 215/65R17 optional tires.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 AM

NHPATRIOT has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
And just fyi, all 5W-20 oil is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. There isn't any 5w-20 pure conventional oil (from what I have read on numerous forums and websites).
I think "maybe" you are confusing 0W-20 with 5W-20. There is no 0W-20 conventional oil( that I have ever seen anyway ). Initially 0W-20 was only available in full synthetic but there are now a couple blends. 5W-20 is definitely available, and always has been, in conventional oil however. The OEM oil( MOPAR )is conventional oil( used to be Mobil but believe it is now SOPUS ).

All the major brands( Castrol, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Mobil, Kendall, Valvoline, etc... )offer 5W20 conventional oil.

SOLD
2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude
2.4L CVT 4WD FDI
Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

NHPATRIOT has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogals View Post
Owner's manual says to change the engine oil every 13,000 km (8,000 miles) - every other vehicle I've owned was always 5,000 km (3,000 miles).

So why does the Patriot get additional engine oil life out of regular 5W-20 if it's not a synthetic or synthetic blend?

Interested to know, thanks.
1) - 6 months/8000 miles is the MAXIMUM time you can run the oil. It is not the actual recommend oil change interval. Chrysler( Jeep )actually says to go by the Oil Life Monitor and change when it says to. If it does not trip by the 6/8000 however then you must change the oil( warranty compliance ).

2) - the days of the 3 month/3000 miles oil change interval are finally going away( thank goodness ). That interval was fine and dandy in the 60's-70's when oil was of a much lesser quality. Modern oil is capable of going much longer before requiring a change. Auto mfg's are finally catching up.

Modern oils have vastly improved base stocks and additive packages that allow them to have a much longer service life. Changing a modern API certified SL/SM/SN oil before 5000 miles, even conventional oil, in a healthy engine is just a waste of resources( obviously serious hard use or contaminates from off roading etc... can change that ). If you use a quality, name brand, properly rated and certified oil in your vehicle, with a good filter, you should be able to do...

Conventional - 5000
Syn Blend - 7000
Full Synthetic - 10,000+

IMO 8000 is too long on conventional oil despite all my praise of modern oil. 5000-6000 with a premium filter is the max I would personally run any brand or weight.

SOLD
2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude
2.4L CVT 4WD FDI
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
My Peugeot 308 is every 2 years or 20.000 miles . This is for the petrol engine , I believe the diesel engine model is every 12 months or 12.000 miles ....
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 PM

Ride: '08 Patriot 2.4 CVT 4x4
CHVYPWR will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHill View Post
I change mine every 5,000 miles. It is easy to remember.
Same here, on both my Patriot and S10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.