Jeep Patriot Forums banner

ITS IN THE SHOP AGAIN...SUSPENSION

13K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mo418 
#1 ·
Well I was fed up with all the back end creeking and the front end noises in bumpy left or right turns that I took her into Jeep this morning.

I'm anxious to see what they come back with. My guess is "no problems found at this time" which seems to be the standard answer from Chrysler Techs.

There was a young kid behind the service desk who couldn't have been more than 21/22 who at least acknowledged that the ball joints and tie rod ends where problematic on these cars. Ding ding ding we have a winner...tell him what he's won Bob!!!":D

#2 ·
Wow!!!:wow: Chrysler just called me and they are replacing both front LCA's and both rear upper toe links as they are making excessive noise. They are blaming it possibly on a bad batch of bushings. Thats quite the bad batch 2007 thru 2011.

Oh and did I mention that my Riot has just under 21,000km or just 13,000 mi.:mad:

#5 ·
Update #1:

Picked her up after work as the car jockey drove it around front. I get in and go no more than 10 feet to the first speed bump and the back end lets out this horrible creeking noise. I back up, go right back in to complain. They call out the tech who worked on the car and we go for a drive. This guy was extremely honest with me as he told me a day doesn't go by where they don't see a Patriot, Compass or Caliber come in for this problem. Well I told him it didn't make this sound for the first year and thats how I want it.

They tell me to bring it in in the morning so they could have another look. This morning I drive into the bay and pop my hatch. I call over the service adviser and tell him to listen to where the noise is coming from as I start heaving on the bumper. He hears the noise and isolates it to some bushing but where I'm not sure of. He exclaims "wow I've never seen one make noise in this location.:confused: Really??? I should direct him here so he can read all the complaints of rear end noises!!

I checked the front and 2 new lca were installed so will see how they perform.

Anyways we'll see what the come up with today.

#6 ·
I'm shocked to be hearing some of this stuff. I've had mine only a few months but it is a 2008 and 48K on the odo. I'll have to keep an ear out for this stuff. I'm surprised that there isn't a decent Aftermarket for these parts. I would expect that people would line up in droves to replace the crap stock parts with upgraded aftermarket stuff.

#9 ·
While I'm waiting for the rear suspension components to come in I thought I would update how the front LCA's have been.

I can't tell you what a difference it has made. It is sure-footed now with no noises and comfortable when going over bumps in the road. I used to avoid the slightest imperfection just so I could have a smooth ride. It had been like this right from day one. I wonder if there was a defective batch of LCA's.

Happy for now!!:)

#10 ·
My 2010 has been making horrible crunching noises whenever I go over speed bumps. I thought the ball joints were just a problem with the older Patriots.

I've had my patriot in and had them check out the noises and was told nothing was wrong and that they couldn't replicate the sound. They told me they lubricated the bushings and it shouldn't be a problem. Three days later its back making the noise. Thanks to your results I am going to take it in this weekend and not leave until they fix something.

#11 ·
I hope they sort it out for you! What I find most alarming is "they are throwing everything at the problem to try and solve it." If they have no problem with throwing their OWN money at the problem by replacing parts that are likely good, how are they going to feel about throwing YOUR money at an issue? For a bunch of guys who call themselves "Techs", they sure look like parts replacers, not mechanics. Not just your dealer, it's an industry-wide problem. I understand today's vehicles are more complicated than one of my old musclecars or trucks, but 'cmon. A squeak isnt an issue with a CVT or PCM. Maybe THATS the problem! It cant be networked and diagnosed electronically.

#12 ·
Brought my Jeep to the dealership today.. It seems like every morning when it is first running any bump i hit it crunches. I am going to let them keep it all day and hopefully they can find out what's going on. At high speeds I don't hear anything until I slow down to about 5mph.

I'm hoping they find something, because it's really bad..

#13 ·
UPDATE #3

I took her in yesterday as the rear suspension parts came in. I was told they changed something up front as well. I 'll have a closer look at the work order and post all part numbers replaced.

They only had it for the day and I'm happy to report no more noises!!

Well at least for today anyways.:D

#14 · (Edited)
As promised here is what was done to the front and rear suspension. There seems to be 2 sets of numbers on the WO so I will list both:

FRONT END

02100513- Left lower control arm

This includes:

(1) 5105040AH - ARM
(1) 6104240AA - BOLT
(1) 6104711AA - NUT

----------------------------------------

02100512- Right lower control arm

This includes:

(1) 5105041AH - ARM
(1) 6104240AA - BOLT
(1) 6104711AA - NUT

02271002- Front spring isolator

This includes:

(2) 5085405AC - ISOLATOR

REAR END

02502901- Bushing / rear sway bar

This includes:

(2) 510510AD - BUSHING

05052100 - Free up & re-route brake cable
as it was installed incorrectly and
rubbing on trailing arms.

This includes:

(2) 5105822AA - ISOLATOR
(2) 5085519AA - STOP/BUMPER
(2) 5171137AB - STOP/BUMPER

-----------------------------------------------------

There you have it folks.:)

#15 ·
Hi all!

I had the same problem!

Before going in any expensive repairs (dealer always told me he never heard any squeaking noise during test drive.... yeah right), I lubed every bushing I saw with white grease (in spray).

All my noises are gone, and it's been a while!

Maybe give it a try before anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.