Pat won't start...out of the blue - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Ride: '08 Patriot FDI 4x4 5-spd Manual Transmission
Keebler72 is on a distinguished road
Pat won't start...out of the blue

I was out running errands the other day and, after a stop at one store, I came out to an unresponsive Patriot. I turned the key to start it and...nothing. The dashboard lit up when I turned the key, and my headlights worked, but nothing happened when I turned the key (not even a sound).

After finding that the Pat wouldn't start, I tried locking an unlocking the doors with the key fob and found that the locks were not responding...nor did the 'panic' button on the key fob work. However, I was able to lock and unlock the doors from the button on the driver's door. It seemed as though my key fob had died.

So, I called AAA and they sent someone out to jump start the Pat. However, the jump start did not work. So, I had the Pat towed to the local Jeep dealership (which was fortunately only a mile from where I was stranded).

Later in the day, I went home, got my other key fob and took it to the dealership to see if the Pat responded to it. Same thing...lock, unlock and 'panic' buttons on the fob were unresponsive, and I couldn't get the Pat to start either.

I did a search on this site and read other threads about people Pat's not starting. However, many of those occurances happened in either extremely cold weather or instances where the Pat hadn't been started in several days. However..neither of those are the case here. My Pat was running fine all morning, and the outside temp was relatively mild.

I have a few ideas on what could have caused this. Maybe an insufficiently charged battery (there must have been at least some juice, as the headlights and dash lights still worked). Maybe the key fob died and, when I tried to use it, it triggered some sort of security lock down in the Pat. Maybe a fuse blew?

I am interested to hear other's theories. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Geek

Ride: '08 Pilot EX-L: 4x4, AT - '99 XJ Sport: 4x4, AT
jlobaugh has a spectacular aura about
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a transceiver in the patriot that handles communications for the keyless entry and the RFID tag in the sentry key. If it takes a dirt nap or loses power, one would experience the symptoms that you describe.

"I can do more with a pocketknife than most can with an entire toolbox." -me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Ride: 4x4 CVT 2007
hunter44102 will become famous soon enough
Pull the Negative off the battery for 5 minutes, and then try everything again. If it still doesn't start, then do a Load test on the 12V battery, or at least measure it with a DMM. The voltage should be at least 12.6 volts. 12.6 = 100%, 12.2V = 20% capacity. If its in the 11 volt range, then its shot. Also, what did the dealer do? Did they try anything
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Ride: Curator of my old Pat, now my Dad's
Keeping Fingers Crossed is on a distinguished road
Sounds like exactly what I went through a couple years back. Fortunatley it was right in my driveway.
As part of the warranty I call for the free towing. Once the tow-truck driver arrived and I finished dropping a few F-bombs while explaining about how pissed I was, we started to hit it off pretty good.
I suggested, for starters, why don't we just disconnect the positive battery terminal and maybe something will re-set itself.
Would you believe that I nailed it? It worked like a dream. I have since given the vehicle to my parents and it hasn't happened since.
Hang tight for when the shifter won't move, and you have to pop off the small inspection plug and move the level forward..but thats another story...
Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It was towed to the dealer Friday afternoon and they were pretty busy, so they didn't get around to it. Their service department is closed on weekends, so I am hoping they get around to looking at it Monday.

If I get some time, I may go over to the dealership Monday morning and try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, as was sugggested. It would be nice to be able to correct the problem myself, before the dealership charges me for what may be a simple solution!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:15 AM

Ride: 08 Patriot, 03 Camry
johnda is on a distinguished road
The dealer should know how to deal with this problem, because it must have happened elsewhere. Since you used a back up key fob, it sure sounds like the problem is in the electronics inside the car. iF it ever happens to me, I would try the resetting of the system suggested above, if I could not reach my dealer. I'm retired and the dealer is close by and 90 percent of my driving is less than 20 miles from home. Let us know what the dealer finds out!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM

Heard back from the dealership this morning. They are telling me that I need a new Wireless Control Module (WCM). Apparently, they have to replace this module, and then reprogram my keys to be recognized by the new module. Cost was quoted as $108 for parts, and $158 for labor.

I did an online search for "Wireless Control Modules", and found several links to people who own Dodges having problems with these. Here is a blurb that I found on dodgeforum.com, regarding a similar problem with a 2007 Dodge Durango:

"The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is the primary component of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). It is also the receiver for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system."...."Two SKREEM modules are used: one for vehicles equipped with RKE only, and one for vehicles equipped with RKE and SKIS. The SKREEM cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire SKREEM unit must be replaced."

So, it looks like "jlobaugh" is correct in his theory that this problem is related to the transceiver (module) that handles keyless entry and the immobilizer system. Thanks again to everyone for your input!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Geek

Ride: '08 Pilot EX-L: 4x4, AT - '99 XJ Sport: 4x4, AT
jlobaugh has a spectacular aura about
Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix(although not overly cheap). I read about that happening to someone else on the forum here, although they were under warranty, so I wasn't sure how much the stealership was gonna ding you.

I've owned several mopar products and i havent had one that didn't loose a module at some point, usually at most inopportune moment . The CANBUS module in my Durango list it's timing once, the symptoms were loss of wipers and 4WD. There was 20" of fresh lake-effect snow on the ground, we got 19" more in about 5 hours and I had to limp around in 2WD. It was a 10mi drive to the junk-yard and it took me just over an hour.

"I can do more with a pocketknife than most can with an entire toolbox." -me
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Ride: 2011 Jeep Patriot Sport FWD 5 Speed.
Double D will become famous soon enough
Had the same problem with my wife's Avenger. Fortunately our's was covered under warranty. Glad is was a reasonably inexpensive fix.

2011 Black Patriot Sport 5 speed FWD
"Living in a powder-keg and giving off sparks"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.