Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Have you had to replace your lower ball joints/LCA?

Ball Joint/ LCA poll? Replaced?

18K views 45 replies 36 participants last post by  march 
#1 ·
So, took my three year old '08 Jeep in for it's inspection. I have to replace both front lower ball joints which requires the whole control arm assembly to be replaced. I've been told that this is a very common problem with Patriots and Compasses (and Calibers). Between that and a tie rod replacement (and alignment) my bill is just over $1000.... I priced it out at another non-dealer shop and it came it over $1100, so it isn't just the dealer screwing me over (more than normal).

So, how many people have had similar issues? I wrote a strongly worded letter to Jeep's customer service department, and even the dealer agreed that there should be an extended warranty issued for this. I would like to have some numbers to throw at them as well when they respond, so let me know your take.

#10 ·
i had to replace my right front control arm and ball joint as well as my left front tie rod. here are my other repairs:

1. rear suspension arm
2. right front CV joint
3. air conditioner hose

i have 31,000 km on my patriot and will sell the piece of crap as soon as i can. it's a useful vehicle hampered by abysmal part quality and terrible suspension design.

#12 ·
Well after a long email to Jeep I got a call from them. Since I was only 5 days and 7,000 miles out of warranty they are looking to issue a partial reimbursement to me. I just sent them my receipt, so we will see what dollar amount they come back with. Fingers crossed! She did say that they were doing this for me since I was so close to warranty and because of customer history, so your mileage may very, of course.

#13 ·
got 81,000kms on my 2008 and the front LCA/ball joints had to be replaced twice. The second time around they even replaced the front shocks because they were leaking. All covered under warranty.

#14 ·
In situations like this, its nice to be on good terms with your dealer. Twice I had GM trannies fail both out of warranty but under 100,000 miles, and both times they went 1/2 way with me. My dealer volunteered to run point for me. Up to 100,000 I tend to have the dealer do my routine maintenance, that way they can never come back and say, "Somebody else screwed this up." By then they know the vehicle, they know how I treat it (they can tell), and the've got nothing to lose because its the manufacturer that's paying. If you're a whiner, they'll charge you full bore and tell you to deal with it; if they lose your business they'd be happy about it. But if you're a loyal customer acting reasonably, they have a lot more to lose locally than a company 1000 miles away.

When a friend had a Subaru problem a few years ago, they blew him off. He was a credible guy (we all have friends that aren't, don't we? But this guy was truthing) and when he told his story, it got around town and I'll bet they lost a few sales because of it. On the other hand, my Jeep dealer formerly sold Pontiac, and when I was fearing a tranny job on my Grand Prix, they found something simple and fixed it for $100 -- they could have soaked me. So when they dropped their GM franchise, I stayed with them. So I'm happily driving my Patriot. When its next time to car shop, I'll go there first and probably last.

#15 ·
Looks like alot of the ball joint and suspension issues are in states or providences that use some type of road treatment for the winter months. Seems to me that chrysler would be able to track the warranty claims information based on where the vehicle is from and put out a TSB to inspect suspension components for premature wear.
I handle the warranty for a large auto supplier that specializes in exterior chrome for most of the auto makers and we see way more chrome failures in the northern part of the country and Canada then anywhere else.

#16 ·
Just had both LCAs and links replaces @ 74k km, covered under the extended warranty. Based on Butch's post that all this is just over $1000 USD, it effectively pays for the warranty. I've got a really good relationship with my dealer (3 vehicles in 4 yrs personally, and a lot of referrals), so I'll have them give it a good once over as I near the end of my extended warranty.

#17 ·
Ball Joints

I replaced n/s & o/s ball loints at 38000 miles, cut open old joints, both joints looked like they were suffering from lack of grease (both boots in good condition). I drilled the bottom of both new joints taped out and fitted grease nipples, and it took 6 pumps from the grease gun to fill the ball joints !!!!!. Wait and see if these will last any longer.

2007 Black CRD,
40000 miles

#19 ·
Jeep gave me a full refund on the Ball Joints, Tie Rod, and Alignment (not including tax I don't believe). That is very acceptable to me! Now to anyone else that runs into the same problem, I was told that this resolution is not typical, but since I was "close" to my warranty, and my family had purchased multiple vehicles from the chrysler, jeep, dodge brands they wanted to take care of me. I'm sure my mentioning of jeeppatriot.com as well as talk about whether a recall is necessary helped persuade them. Hope this info helps anyone else out!

#20 ·
Well add me to the list now. I just had my annual PA inspection and both ball joints are bad as well as the rear struts are leaking oil (still). Thankfully I bought the extended warranty so I only have a $100 deductible. They are replacing both lower control arms. They were supposed to order the struts and call me when they came in 6 months ago for replacement, but I'm glad they "forgot". Now it's all under one deductible payment instead of one 6 months ago and one now! SCORE! :D I'm at 49,545 miles.

#21 ·
I traded mine in wed. There was alot of suspension work needed but got it taken care of with the trade.

i was at 69,000 kms. got a good deal on the new JKU so I had to take it.

#22 ·
Yeah, went in for a rountine oil change today and figured they would say something about my tires being worn down. Wasn't expecting the left front ball joint to be loose and need replacing. Dealer quoted me around $400, for just the one. I have an '08 that I bought new w/ 42,365 on it. I drive a lot but don't really beat the car up that much. I was hoping they could tighten the ball joint but I guess that isn't an option.

#23 ·
Jeff, if you're out of warranty, have an independent garage press a new Moog joint in. The factory ones are not very good and the Moog replacement part is only about $40-50. Should only need an hour or two for labor so it would be half the cost. They don't even have to remove the control arm to do it. If mine wasn't still covered under warranty, that's what I'd be doing myself.

#24 ·
Well, just got my Jeep back from it's repairs and WOW! What a difference. The steering is tight again and the back end doesn't bounce around. Gotta love new suspension parts!

#26 ·
The suspension on mine has been done.....TWICE in 85,000kms
all four corners struts have been done twice.
both lower connector rods in the rear.
both ball joints in front,
both tie rods
another connector in the rear.

And the passenger front has been done again but due to an Accident not wear...lol

I think I bought a Patriot that was built on Friday Afternoon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.