ETC and Traction Control Warning light - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Green-SPORT-5spd-FWD-P215/60R17
gabrielgc75 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ETC and Traction Control Warning light

I have a problem with my jeep patriot 2008, 3 weeks ago the ETC (electronic throttle control) and Traction Control light turn on and I lost engine power, It just ran idle. It can not go more than 2000 RPM. I turn it off and on and it was everything ok.
Now it started again with the problem, but turning off an on does not solve the problem now. The problem is that there are not DTC. just the ETC and the Traction Control warning lights. Without the trouble code I dont know if is a problem with the body throttle actuator, a sensor, the ETC.
I had read a lot of threads, but no body gives a solution, many of them took the patriot to the dealer, and the dealer starte replacing the body throttle, but after some weeks there was a problem again, the change the ETC, the PCM, and also the wiring.
So I dont know how to troubleshoot this. No check engine light, no codes, just the ETC and Traction Control light , No engine Power. I connected a Scanner and did not found anything.
By the way I live in a warm place, 12-30C, So I dont think is a freezing problem.

Last edited by gabrielgc75; 04-27-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM

One week ago I removed the body throttle and cleaned. It was so easy to unplug the electrical connector (It should not be). Well after cleaning and installed it again I plug the electrical connector and try to unplug it again, I was not easy to unplug it. Now my patriot is running ok, 10 days without a problem. this doesn't means this is a solution because the first time I got the problem it was solved itself and after 2 weeks it was again. Now the problem is that I dont know if it was a dirty boddy throttle, a loose connector, or the ECU that was reset when I disconnected the battery.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Well, after 3 weeks running perfect my patriot, the problem is back again (two days ago). No power, 2000rpm at maximun, ETC (electronic throttle control) and traction warning lights are on. Check Engine light is off. I connected a OBDII scanner and there are not DTCs. My patriot is at a "limp mode", It is no the throttle pedal because with the scanner I can see how the parameter change when I depress it. and because it is limp mode, the throtle actuator control and throttle position parameters do not change. Today It is running ok, without problems. Suddenly it works great and suddenly it fails. I did not move anything.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this? if it does not send any trouble codes how can I know what is failing. Also Why if the ETC and the traction lights are on, why it does not turn on the check engine light??
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
There were some folks who had trouble with ESP/BAS systems going haywire and it was a power splice in the wire loom along or near the driver side rocker. It had gotten water in it and corroded. They both fixed it by cutting and re-soldering the wires. You might want to start some wire loom jiggle tests to see if you can track down something similar.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM

Ride: 2009 "Jeep Green" Patriot 2.4L CVT
Stonent is on a distinguished road
You're in limp mode, that's why your RPM is being limited. The computer knows something is wrong, so to prevent damage, it locks the system down to the bare minimum of functionality.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM

The computer knows something is wrong, but why it does not set a DTC? Why it doesnt turn on the check engine light?
Two days ago I replaced the throttle body and I took it to the dealer in order to make the ETC Relearn procedure. Now it is working fine. But because it was an intermittent failure I am not sure the the problem was solved replacing the throttle body.

What else can turn on the ETC and the traction lights ?
Could be a wheel sensor?
a brake sensor?

Last edited by gabrielgc75; 05-16-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM

jarredsoon is on a distinguished road
etc and traction control

Any progress with this???

I am having the same problem, just happened now???

Thanks,

Jarred
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM

MannyR is on a distinguished road
Here is the solution

You need to read my solution is not any of the above mentioned is one of your ABS sensors and the code is not coming up because you need to scan it with an ABS reader or at the dealer they need to pull the ABS codes

They are robbing you blind because the solution is just a $30 sensor

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/sho...977#post314977
Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Thumbs up

45 days since I replaced the throttle body and it is working perfect.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 AM

jrob323 is on a distinguished road
You nailed it Gab.. i had the same symptoms with no code stored. I've had several episodes of this with my 2007 over the years, and the dealer mechanics would clean the ETC, flash the computer etc, but it was still present intermittently. A few days ago it 'failed hard' and wouldn't go above 2000 rpms. I had removed the hose coming from the air cleaner so I could see the butterfly valve in the throttle body, and the valve did not move when starting or when depressing the gas pedal. Took a chance and replaced the throttle body and it fixed it immediately. I opened the old throttle body and the plastic gears connecting the motor to the butterfly shaft were completely worn out. The computer had probably been trying to compensate for quite some time, but it finally reached a point where it would actuate the motor with no movement at all in the valve. Thanks for your posts!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM

mohm is on a distinguished road
mine too..

Hi, I want to share some information about ETC, this is what hapened to me.

My Patriot (2007 2.4 limited CVT) have same symptoms, start at last january, ETC light flashing when accelerating hard, and now finally last month engine goes to "limp" mode, no revs above 2000 rpm. No computer resets etc does any good. Also ESP light turns on.

I read these forums, and raising knowledge of my car.
I dissemble air intake manifold, and found "butterfly" valve there. I was 100% sure that it's the cause of problem. But I don't have spareparts here, or Chrysler's computer/software to relearn new valve positions. So I have to take my Pat to local Jeep service.
They check engine codes (was none), also they stated that ETC light might maybe leave some codes to memory. Possible causes was engine computer, throttlevalve, or wiring. Then they finally replace that valve, and now my car is working fine, no ETC flashes or nothing...

This episode costs to me total about 600 euros here in Finland, and I know that throttlevalve costs about 140$ in America, so I think that I have been robbed!

Finland is country for rich people
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Ride: 2007 Jeep Patriot Limited FDII
alltoreup1 is on a distinguished road
I am haveing the same ETC light flashing along with the ESP light. Limits power to between 1100 and 2000 rpm, Jeep barely moves. I have had it to the dealer 3 times, and no success as of yet. They tried reflashing the computer and it did not work. They they tried to clean the throttle body and this did not help either.

I am not optomistic at this time as to a resolution, but we will see.

I am sure they will try and replace the throttle body next, not sure if it will work or not.

I have 86,000 miles so it will be out of my pocket I am guessing.

Hammonton, NJ
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Ride: '08 Patriot 4x2 5spd
Tuksonrider is on a distinguished road
WOw, I can't beleive this is still a problem with Jeep patriots. I had this problem back in 2008. It's fixed now, but had been in the dealership 3 weeks during that time because they had a hell of a time trying to fix it.

THey replaced the throttle body, and it seemed to work for only a week or so. Eventually, they replaced the PCM (computer), and I've been problem free *knocks on wood*.

Here's my exp, and what they did to fix it.
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7222
Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM

Ride: 2013 Wrangler Unlimited 6-speed "Burly Rez Donkey"
Burly Rez Goat is on a distinguished road
My 2011 just started having those problems over the weekened. ETC flashing and traction light came on. Pat was in limp mode, until I turned it off and on then problem went away for now.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Since I replaced the throttle body the problem was fixed. I just pay the spare, and I replaced it, it was easy. But first I talked to the dealer to know if I bought the spare with them they can train the ETC, some of them did not wanted and some does. So I replaced it and took my patriot to the dealer, they connect the computer and train the ETC. I took less than a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
esp light, etc light, throttle body, throttle control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.