Government shutdown? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

The Sway Bar Your Off-Topic Playland.
Non-Jeep related topics.
The Abyss   Where bad threads go to die  (restricted access)

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM

Ride: Tiburon
croat is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Government shutdown?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...balls-20110407

"Every few years or so, the Republicans trot out one of these little whippersnappers, who offer proposals to hack away at the federal budget. Each successive whippersnapper inevitably tries, rhetorically, to out-mean the previous one, and their proposals are inevitably couched as the boldest and most ambitious deficit-reduction plans ever seen. Each time, we are told that these plans mark the end of the budgetary reign of terror long ago imposed by the entitlement system begun by FDR and furthered by LBJ."

Just read the first few paragraphs...

The problem is that the GOP only cares about reducing the deficit if it doesn't affect the uber-wealthy. Democrats, of course, are cowards who couldn't end a war or prosecute a government crook to save their lives. If (or when) this shutdown occurs, it'd be nice for both sides of the voting spectrum to consider a third, centrist party... one without Tea in the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
POTM November 2008

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FD1, 5 speed. 25D long live vinyl seats
jepstr67 is a jewel in the rough
Yesterday I wrote to all 3 of my reps. Same letter to all three Klobuchar, Franken and Bachmann. Telling them they are doing a bad job if they can not work together and iron out a budget. I'm sick of this do nothing government.
l_/--\_l__l/--\0lllllll0
_(o)) _) _(o))---))_______________________________
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Ride: 2011 Ford Ranger XL
The Luigiian is on a distinguished road
This situation drives me nuts. It basically boils down to what always happens in these situations. The Republicans make a case for how "fiscally conservative they are" then they stick in a guy like W who ends up spending trillions of dollars on defense and tax cuts for the rich. Meanwhile, Democrats complain about out-of-control defense spending and trumpet spending billions of dollars on social welfare programs.

Then the Democrats stick in a guy like Obama who ends up spending trillions of dollars on social welfare programs and tax cuts for the middle class. Meanwhile, Republicans complain about out-of-control social welfare spending and instead want to spend trillions of dollars on national defense.

I'm not saying either side is right, or military spending is wrong, or social welfare spending is wrong, but look back at our history, we've not yet had a modern President who moderately reduced spending in all departments from national defense to Medicaid to PBS/etc. all the way down the line. What you get is one side that wants to cut the money the other side gets for their particular pet programs and vice versa. Then both sides choose to shut down the government because neither side will give up the fight and nobody will actually compromise.

I wasn't surprised the Republicans wanted to defund NPR and Planned Parenthood, but the part about cutting off all funding to PBS is incredibly odd. It still seems to me like this is yet another shallow agenda-pushing exercise. If Republicans really wanted to reduce the deficit, let alone government spending, maybe they should consider repealing the tax cuts Bush and Obama came up with, maybe find other sources of government income like taxing legalized marijuana, maybe cut military spending along with cutting the liberal agenda programs. Oh wait, that would offend the Republican base, so we can't do that, can we?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Ride: 11.0:1 compression K20Z3 engine
GenXer will become famous soon enough
I am so fed up with the political system that I may not vote next go around. It just doesn't matter anymore who you vote for. They are all going to find some way to f--- up this country even further and line their pockets in the process. You know at one time, everyone in Washington had a real job that they went back to after their duties were done. Now it's become a full-time gig that makes the average politician a MILLIONAIRE!!! I am so sick of it all. No one can agree on a damn thing and compromise??? What's that?

If I do happen to vote next time, it will be for a write-in or third party. I no longer want to be responsible for helping vote in people who are destroying this country. And before any of you jump on me for not wanting to vote...it's my right to vote, just as much as it's my right NOT to vote.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM

Ride: (Patriot pending...I hope)
Medic311 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Medic311 Send a message via MSN to Medic311
As an R&D Engineer for the Army, it baffles me how I will be on unpaid furlough and thus unable to support the warfighter in theater while a fully-paid congress is arguing about non-critical items such as Planned Parenthood, EPA's ability to regulate green house gases, and funding for NPR. How does any of this garbage have anything to do with my job of serving our warfighters?

I blame both the Dems and the GOP on this one. If the Dems weren't selfish about their own congressional seats for the re-election and established a budget last year we wouldn't be in the mess. If the GOP would put off their policy disagreements until the 2012 budget we wouldn't be in this mess. What happened to what's best for the country? What happened to what's best for the American people?

This country is so destructively divided I really see it getting worse before it gets better. It is getting more and more polarized with each passing year and the common good of the country has gone out the window in favor of bull-sh*t. Where are our priorities if we can cough up $700B to bail out banks and corporations in under 25 calendar days but are unable to appropriate $30B within 6 months???

Giant FAIL if you ask me and both parties have lost my vote for the next election.

I apologize for the rant, I am rather ticked off ...

Last edited by Medic311; 04-07-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Ride: 09 sport 4x4,
jloffermann is on a distinguished road
I know how you feel.... A bunch f politicians arguing on how to get a better pension! while everybody starts working for free, we had a meeting about possibility of "pay issues" our commander says it's nothing to worry about then again im not 05....
Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 AM

Ride: 99 Wrangler | 03 Mustang GT | 11 Patriot FD1
TJ99er is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...balls-20110407

"Every few years or so, the Republicans trot out one of these little whippersnappers, who offer proposals to hack away at the federal budget. Each successive whippersnapper inevitably tries, rhetorically, to out-mean the previous one, and their proposals are inevitably couched as the boldest and most ambitious deficit-reduction plans ever seen. Each time, we are told that these plans mark the end of the budgetary reign of terror long ago imposed by the entitlement system begun by FDR and furthered by LBJ."

Just read the first few paragraphs...

The problem is that the GOP only cares about reducing the deficit if it doesn't affect the uber-wealthy. Democrats, of course, are cowards who couldn't end a war or prosecute a government crook to save their lives. If (or when) this shutdown occurs, it'd be nice for both sides of the voting spectrum to consider a third, centrist party... one without Tea in the name.
The problem isnt the GOP... the problem is EVERYONE. This article is so BIAS, im sorry.

1 - GOP is asking for to deep cuts to make it realisitic...
2 - Dems are on a run away spending spree

They are both worthless. The dems dont "fight" for the middle class, that just BS that they throw out there. All these social programs they refuse to cut are done to pay back the people who keep them in office for DECADES.

Being a Rep/Senator was designed to be a 1-2 time thing, where an educated citizen would serve the country, it has become a job for many who have to keep getting elected, thus doing this crap. The most recent health program was to pay back the dems campiagn contributors.

Aside from the fact that Medicare/Medicaid is one of the most corrupt missmanaged programs out there, it accounts for something like a trillion in fraud each year. Social Security has weak "security" measures as well. Im not saying these programs are bad, but they have become horribly missmanaged since LBJ, and no dem wants to "revise" them because touching the program is politically off limits.

Dems and GOP look out for their own jobs, anyone who thinks they care about big buisness or the middle class is just looking at all the smoke and mirrors.

And because these people cant cut their pet programs, or because these people want to make a "point" and cut to deep, there wont be an agreement, and everyone else will have to suffer.
BFG AT 31's | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper| 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Future Mods -- Carr Light Wing | Hella Black Magic (x2) | Stu Coils | BFG A/Ts | FDII Skids | RRO Sliders
2003 Mustang GT
Direzza sport Z1 | Cobra Brakes F/R | Short Shifter | 3.73s | 91 Tune
*All MT
Old 04-08-2011, 05:08 AM

In fact, the kicker of them all...

I have heard both parties are trying to cause a government shutdown... Its a gamble for both, but its ammo, because coming this next presidential election, each side will try and tack it on the other.

This is nothing more then another political stunt, which will be used for political gain down the road.

These people dont operate on truth, they operate on angering their base against the other party.

I want to see the day when a party says "what can we do for you!" not "oh look at they other party, they are crap"

Political figures hate the concept of truth, because if they win based on things they will do, then they have to do them... if they can win by making you hate the other party, they have no strings attached. They never said they would do crap.
BFG AT 31's | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper| 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Future Mods -- Carr Light Wing | Hella Black Magic (x2) | Stu Coils | BFG A/Ts | FDII Skids | RRO Sliders
2003 Mustang GT
*All MT
Old 04-08-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I am so fed up with the political system that I may not vote next go around. It just doesn't matter anymore who you vote for. They are all going to find some way to f--- up this country even further and line their pockets in the process. You know at one time, everyone in Washington had a real job that they went back to after their duties were done. Now it's become a full-time gig that makes the average politician a MILLIONAIRE!!! I am so sick of it all. No one can agree on a damn thing and compromise??? What's that?

If I do happen to vote next time, it will be for a write-in or third party. I no longer want to be responsible for helping vote in people who are destroying this country. And before any of you jump on me for not wanting to vote...it's my right to vote, just as much as it's my right NOT to vote.
The fix, term limits on congress... but congress will never vote for such things...
2011 Patriot FD1
2003 Mustang GT
*All MT
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a glorious beacon of lightdixiedawg is a glorious beacon of light
Gee, if only they would have done their jobs when they should have, and got this budget done when they should have, we would not be here now. The Dems were in control of the House, Senate, and Presidency when the budget should have been done in the first place.

They obviously wanted this situation, for political reasons.

We need to cut the budget dramatically, if not now, when?

For too long, politicians have been avoiding the tough work they need to do, and just passing those things on to the next group in office. This is why the deficits, etc have gotten so far out of hand. At some point I expect my elected officials to do the tough, but needed thing, and get this in some kind of order. If not things will only get worse here.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Ride: 2008 Patriot/ 2002 Liberty/ 1995 Dakota
thjeep is on a distinguished road
Here is a question that I have, (besides what a bear does in the woods and if a tree makes sound if no one is there to hear it,) If the government shuts down, will anyone notice?

I have heard this brought up a couple of times and tend to agree with, if we layoff all of the "unessential" people why don't we just get rid of them for good and cut the deficit. If they are unessential then why do we have them?

We are out of money and broke, they must stop spending NOW!

Just my 2 cents, I will go back to sleep now.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjeep View Post
Here is a question that I have, (besides what a bear does in the woods and if a tree makes sound if no one is there to hear it,) If the government shuts down, will anyone notice?

I have heard this brought up a couple of times and tend to agree with, if we layoff all of the "unessential" people why don't we just get rid of them for good and cut the deficit. If they are unessential then why do we have them?

We are out of money and broke, they must stop spending NOW!

Just my 2 cents, I will go back to sleep now.
"unessential" does not mean indefinite. It is based on the situation.

The people that deal with security for example, those are essential. The guy who inventory's a wear house however, may not be, but that doesn't mean they aren't needed. Project planners wont be needed if the feds cant spend money, but once they can, then yes, they will be needed.

Essential just means, they are the bare minimum needed.

And yes, many people will notice... I know some people who are living paycheck to paycheck. And depending on how long it lasts... it could be a problem for them. Military members get paid to have an ok standard of living... but some have 2 kids and a stay at home mom... Not everyone has dual income.
2011 Patriot FD1
2003 Mustang GT
*All MT

Last edited by TJ99er; 04-08-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Ride: 2011 Honda Fit sport.
Schoat333 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Schoat333
If the government shuts down, all elected officials should forfeit their positions, and emergency elections should be held to replace them.

Give those lazy bleep bleeps some motivation to work together for once.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM

Ride: Tiburon
croat is a jewel in the rough
There goes dixiedawg on the blame the democrats again :P Its both the democrats fault and the republicans fault - but the article posted while obviously biased against the gop's was posted to make the point that both are the cause and they both need to be ousted.

Anyways I'm glad people are mad and I hope, pray you guys actually follow through with your sentiment and actually vote for a 3rd party! Its easy to sit here and type/say what you are but to actually follow through with it is what will change our nation.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Patriot Crash Test Dummy

Ride: 2011 Brilliant Black Riot & 1994 Z28(Green Mamba)
Weatherman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Weatherman
Its just my opinion, but as long as our country maintains its current electoral system, I don't see a third party candidate ever having a viable chance at holding office. The electoral college is possibly the biggest scam ever visited on the American people in the fact that it gives us all the illusion that our votes matter.

My 2008 Patriot saved my life! R.I.P. "Das Jeepin' Wagon" You will be missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.