2007/CVT - Not Starting - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Ride: 07 4WD
Silverone is on a distinguished road
2007/CVT - Not Starting

Key on gives me all the dash indicators and radio. Start positon does nothing, no clicks or dimming of the lights. I did the 15-20 minute battery disconnect, and checked all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. Tried running the shifter thru all the positons with the key in the start positon.
The key fob locks and unlocks the doors. Tried the key inverted, while moving the steering wheel, as well as moving the key cylinder in it's bore. (these are steps I found searching sites for a similiar problem. The battery is fresh and the car sat for 2 days in damp weather prior to this failure.
Any and all ideas will be appreciated. Please excuse me if I am delayed getting back to here, my cairn terrier is about to present me with 6 new ones. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Ride: 07 Pat 2x4, Heated Seats, Fog Lights, Boston Sound
h3nry8888 is on a distinguished road
because it doesnt crank... no dimming of light.. i think its the starter...

Of it can be the FOB. does the alarm light blink on your dash? If it does its the key..
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger SXT V6
johnnyboy123 will become famous soon enough
Have you tried your other key?

My moms Malibu came with 2 keys... one worked fine and started the engine. The other would turn everything on (accessory power) but wouldn't start the engine. I had to reprogram the key and now it starts the engine.

Good luck.
20% Tint Front, Factory Tint Rear
Cooper Discoverer AT3 235/65R17

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM

One of my next steps is to check the voltage at the starter. It's been raining since I found this and I can't push it into the garage myself. I can't remember if I ever saw an alarm icon since I had the Jeep.
I did try the other key and thought I'd get lucky. Nope, not today!
Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 AM

Location: Breaza , Romania and Nea Trapezounta-Katerini , Greece
Ride: 2.0 CRD LTD,CRDSTU, 1,25"spacers , skidpl8s & more
goguadi will become famous soon enough
sounds like the starter

2.0 CRD Limited,Lifted with StuCoils,1.25" wheel spacers,engine-transmission&gas tank skidplates,6000K HID conversion kit,rear parking sensors,tow bar,235/65/17 GENERAL GRABBER UHP 108V on League 208 Nocturne rims (summer tires),245/65/17 Lassa Competus A/T on stock rims (winter tires), chrome grille,Patriot door sill guards,Startech Lifestyle leather interior,Husky Liners,Jeep aluminium pedal and dead pedal set.

Nothing like the sweet smell of Diesel
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Could be the brake/starter interlock. There's an access hole near the shifter where you can bypass it. Someone else had this problem. Check the owners manual for instructions (I'd check mine but it's not handy at the moment).

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Todde- that lever overrides the shifter lock. As soon as some more ice and snow melts I'll drop the plastic pan and check voltages at the solenoid/starter.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM

JeepFan will become famous soon enough
It's most likely not the key. Even if you use an un-programmed key, the engine will turn over and start, but only run for a second or two.

It could be, but not likely, the starter. With no clicks or lights dimming or anything there is no indication the starter is even being told to make the attempt.

If your battery voltage is low or you have a bad ground or some such, the car might "decide" that there is not enough juice to make the attempt, but it sounds like you have a good battery.

This leaves us with the interlocks. If the car is not detecting that you are in Park, or Neutral, and the brake pedal is not pushed, it will not allow the car to start.

Have someone look at the brake lights when you push the pedal. Then try starting the car in Neutral or Park. If the brake lights are going on then we may suppose something in the shift linkage is not reporting position.

This may be due to a faulty wire somewhere...or a sensor or switch.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Right, it'll still start but not let you shift out of park. Maybe try moving the shifter from Park to Drive and back again, perhaps the transmission range sensor is having a hiccup? I looked in the service manual, and you may want to check fuses #4, 27 and 28 (all 10 amp Red fuses). Also look at any of the relays under there for any marked Start or Starter. The starter is controlled by the TIPM, so it'll have a relay for the solenoid trigger wire. Almost all of the relays are the same, so if you do find one for the starter, try changing it with another (swap them) or have someone cycle the starter while you listen and/or feel if it's clicking.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Checked fuses 4, 27, and 28 (the twins in the carrier) All 3 check OK out of the block, and show 12V on either side when in. I found 4 relays in a smaller box under and in front of the fuses. None click whe attempting to start, rotated them thru all 4 positions with no improvement.
That leads me back to an interlock. the brake lights work, and I can move the shifter thru the range when the pedal is depressed, but no starter action when doing it with the key in the "start" position.
As for the starter, oofah. I managed to see the terminals with an inspection camera. Looked to be a heavy red, and a lighter gauge greenish yellow. I really don't want to have to change the starter. Ever. Is it the first part they put in the car and build the rest around it? Or is there a trick to R&Ring it.
I'll venture a guess that the shifter interlock in in the console and take a stab at removing the cover later. Thank you all for the ideas.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Uh oh. It's off to the dealer we go. Stay tuned.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM

Ride: 08 Riot 4x2 CVT
DrugRunR is on a distinguished road
its the key.
I cut new keys for my jeep but didn't program them.
The first time I put the new key in, it started for a second then cut off.
When I tried the key a second time it didn't do anything. Acted like the starter was bad.
When I tried a program key, it started the first time.
Then I switched back to a unprogramed key and it started then cut off. Then wouldn't do anything again until I switched keys again.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Rskitall is on a distinguished road
Have you tried jumping it? You would be suprised how much of the time it is just a jump even though everything might seem normal.( I do this all day long)
Hidden Hitch Class 3 2" receiver
Thule cross bars
3,000lb winch on the receiver

Last edited by Rskitall; 03-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM

So far, they've been able to turn it over by forcing a comand to the body control computer. Neither original key works beyond the lock/unlock and the panic buttons.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Wow. There was a wire, in a harness, between the left fenderwell and body that "corroded" thru. I was advised the technician opened the harness, removed the bad section of wire, and recovered the effected portion of the harness. They said they had the bad section, but wouldn't show it to me. Not bad. Ths adventure cost a mere $755 dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.