Sirius and RAQ - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 AM

jdke8165 is on a distinguished road
Sirius and RAQ

I have a 2008 Patriot Sport with the RAQ head unit. I am being told conflicting information. One dealer has told me that the RAQ (AM/FM, 6CD) unit is not Sirius compatible (plug and play) while another is telling me it is. Can someone who has this unit break the tie? Also, if the head unit is Sirius compatible, any ideas of the cost involved to install the Sirius? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 AM

festerw will become famous soon enough
Why not just add an aftermarket Sirius Dock and use one of the plug and dock radios available. It will be cheaper (under $100 if you install it yourself) and you will have more features than an OEM radio can provide.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.7
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Ride: 08 Patriot 4x4 Sport-CVT FDI, Wheels & Sunroof
Dizzy33 is on a distinguished road
I have the RAQ and use a Sirius Starmate...my only issue is the RAQ does not have the aux jack on the front like the single disk (I forgot the model). I have to use the FM Modulator built in to the Starmate. This OK most of the time, but it only broadcasts in Mono not true Stereo and I do have reception issuses from time to time. Once I have time. I will install one of Ipod/Aux kits that have been discussed in a bunch of threads here...just my thoughts.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
butch81385 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to butch81385
I also agree with using a regular Sirius radio instead of the car box ones. I have a Sirius SV1 which fits quite nicely in my cubbyhole under the radio. I have mine hardwired in for antenna, power, and an aux line (I have the single disk model and the wire comes back to the front of the unit to plug in). All three of these can be quickly disconnected from my unit so that I can take it into another car if on a road trip, or even inside (with another power cable and antenna since I sacrificed my originals for the hardwiring).
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Ride: 2007 Compass Sport 4x4 CVT, "E" Pkg, Moon Roof
jpjeepguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdke8165 View Post
.. Also, if the head unit is Sirius compatible, any ideas of the cost involved to install the Sirius? Thanks.
All of the radios used in the Compass/Patriots are compatible with the factory Sirius tuner.

To install the factory Sirius kit requires purchasing the turner/antenna kit and then the installation kit. The total cost for both kits runs about $300 - $350 plus installation. Also note that the installation will require dropping the rear portion of the headliner and drilling two holes in the roof for the antenna.

You would be better off getting a plug-n-play Sirius setup and then use an aux. input adapter. I use the peripheral electronics CHYX adapter for them XM setup and it has worked very well so far.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:03 PM

jdke8165 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. It's my wifes car, so the decision is hers. I prefer not to use the fm tuner; the sound quality is very suspect and there are very few frequencies left in my area that do not have any interference. I may have her go aftermarket and get a better quality audio system.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 PM

festerw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdke8165 View Post
Thanks everyone. It's my wifes car, so the decision is hers. I prefer not to use the fm tuner; the sound quality is very suspect and there are very few frequencies left in my area that do not have any interference. I may have her go aftermarket and get a better quality audio system.
You don't have to take everything aftermarket, with an FM modulator IMO there is no difference in sound quality from plugging in the AUX jack

Starmate 4

FM Modulator

Antenna Adapter

That's all you need to do an install in the Patriot.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.