Creaking rear suspension. - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot North
MikeV is on a distinguished road
Creaking rear suspension.

I'm getting a regular creaking from the rear suspension only when it's dry. When I open the rear hatch and push down on the left side I can duplicate it. The dealer said it can be corrected with some spray lithum grease. Also when I have no passengers and nothing is in the back it sounds like when you have bad shocks. Anyone have the same thing happening? Next oil change I'll have them test drive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot North
homac will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the spring itself.

You can do a test, have someone push down on the left side while you are looking at the rear suspension. If it returns normally the lithum grease may be all that is required, however if it appears to return in a 'jerky' fashion or does not fully return to its original non-compressed position you will need servicing.

Also look for the obvious leaks or sweat on the suspension which is a sign of leaking.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 PM

newfoundlandman is on a distinguished road
I am getting the same sounds from the rear of my 4x2 Limited, traced the noise to a "cresent" shaped connecting arm that runs from the trailing arm up to the body frame, you can see the arm by looking in through the alloy wheel just over the brake rotor, or just get up in under, I can move both of these on my pat and hear the squeaking dry crunching noise. I have the dealer checking into it.
There are numbers stamped on both parts 0237 1516 on the right, and 0237 1518 on the left.
Really the back end of this machine sounds like its falling apart when driving over rough roads.
I had all kings of suspension problems with my former 2003 PT Cruiser, now it seems like it's gonna start all over again. #@*^%@! Chrysler!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 AM

Mine only does it when it has not been raining. I'm waiting for a couple of dry days and then take it to the dealer.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Ride: 1997 Wrangler 4.0
Walkeraviator is on a distinguished road
im pretty sure this suspension is almost identical to yoru PT cruiser...

I heard a squeak yesterday, buit couyld not recreate it... so i am hoping it was my imagination.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM

I was at the dealer today. The foreman took a listen and also heard a metallic sound when I pushed up and down (when the hatch is open) coming from in front of the right rear tire. I've been having this problem for a long time but we have had rain almost every day (no noise when roads are wet) and I don't want to take it in and can not duplicate the problem. It's real load in the Pat. Also sounds like the shocks are botteming out when I hit bumps. I have a Friday appointment and will keep you posted. There are no Chrysler bulletins for this problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM

hvac59 is on a distinguished road
It is just the control arm bushings, nothing to worry about. Mine do it also and when I get around toit, I'll spray them down with some silicone based lube.
hvac59
Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Left Rear Tow Link Problem on '07 Pat!

Went in today to the dealer to check out the creaking problem in the rear suspension. They replaced the rear left tow link and adjusted the toe in. They marked on the service order "excessive wear". I started to hear the problem at 20 kms but it went away in humid or wet weather (I'm at 30 kms now). There seems to be a problem with this part. Just this one dealer has replaced 3 including mine and keep two extra ones in stock. Still no service bulletin from Chrysler. The sound can travel to the right side. Also heard a slight mettalic sound on the right side. It was gone after the repair. So if you hear anything that sounds unusual from the rear suspension take it in.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot North
homac will become famous soon enough
Thank-you for the follow-up MikeV.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Ride: 2008 Limited Inferno red leather 4x4 Nav Sirius
csutton is on a distinguished road
tire size

Just put 235/70/17 on with a lift kit. They rub a little on a hard turn but only hit plastic in wheel well. Sounds bad, but no damage. They look so good, I'm going to just live with it.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM

sammy9848@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Rear Suspension Noises

Check the rear sway bar bushings- I unhooked the sway bar links and the noise went away. I did notice some bushing material hanging out and this is just after appox 22,000 miles.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Ride: '08 Silver Sport Patriot, FDII, '02 Silver Neon ES
UPKEV is on a distinguished road
I am taking mine in tomorrow for this same issue. It started making this creaking spring noise after a fairly long trip on a hot and humid day. It was very pronounced. However, it went away the next morning and has not returned. I called the dealer and let them know and that it stopped and they suggested I bring it in so they can look over the bushings and all the tow links and make sure she is okay.

I will add the results to this thread.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM

patriot2008 is on a distinguished road
Hello I have a Patriot 2008 4x2 2008 CVT.
Escribire en espanol, espero y puedan contestarme de igual forma.. (no hay forums tan interesantes como este en espanol).
En mi patriot 2008 yo escucho un ruido en la suspension delantera, solo cuando transito por "rough roads" o cuando transito por caminos empedrados; es normal por ser una suspension dura??, el "dealer" me cambio por garantia los 4 amortiguadores (struts) y hasta las horquillas, yo sigo escuchando el ruido... Espero y puedan orientarme..Saludos desde Monterrey, Mexico.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM

Ride: '08 Silver Sport Patriot, FDII, '02 Silver Neon ES
UPKEV is on a distinguished road
Just the sway bar bushings need to be replaced under warranty. They are dried out and deformed. (17,200 miles, 19 months old)
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Ride: Acura 03RSX/ 09TSX, 08 Honda Fit.
whitegt01 is on a distinguished road
that's ridiculous that the part fails at 17k. the engine is going to fall out from under the car at 40k probably.

2008 brilliant black 4x2 sport (26E, sunroof, wheel and tire, all season mats). added-wheel locks, and molded splash guard set, led interior bulbs(all), 5k HIDs bi-xenon...and water leaks in front dome, mid-dome, rear dome, a-pillar, front windshield. (Get rid of it ASAP, peace of mind from not having a river flowing in your car is priceless).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.