Aftermarket opening rear hatch window? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Exterior Exterior questions and modifications.
Guards, rails, armor, racks, mounts, etc

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM

Ride: Military Jeep, '08 Patriot LTD, '10 VW Beetle
jack.allwardt has a spectacular aura about
Aftermarket opening rear hatch window?

I've looked for an aftermarket mod to allow the rear window on the hatch to open separately from the hatch, much like nearly all other SUVs.

So far, I've not seen anything, either locally (here in Central CA) or nationally.

Have any of you experience with this? Anyone else besides me think it would be a good mod?

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement (I can kill 'most anything with an airplane...),vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot, and elected city councilman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Ride: '08 FDl 4x4 Tow pkg Reese hitch ScanGauge ll
bwpakk is on a distinguished road
That would be a great idea. Those side rear window look like they should open like they did on my old caravan also.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Ride: 08 Patriot Sport 4x2
nth256 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpakk View Post
That would be a great idea. Those side rear window look like they should open like they did on my old caravan also.
HA! There's an awesome idea, make the rear side windows lift open like a hatch, rather than mess w/ the rear hatch! Loading in your groceries? You wouldn't even have to walk around back!

That said, this should be entirely possible. You could probably steal the hinges from something like an older Blazer or Rodeo, and probably just epoxy the catch for the latch mechanism to the glass. The hardest part would be figuring out what to do with the rear wiper (just delete it?), and drilling the holes for the hinges without cracking the glass (I'm assuming it's safety glass like the windshield). Weatherstripping might turn into an issue, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with some trial and error.

Last edited by nth256; 02-24-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Some good ideas! I remember older VW's had a "push-out" rear side windows and some vans had a remotely opening rear side window.

I'm not buying the excuse that exhaust fumes will enter the rear of the car if other SUVs can have an opening rear hatch window--just don't drive so fast if you've got it open--say with a long item poking out...

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement (I can kill 'most anything with an airplane...),vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot, and elected city councilman.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 AM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
JamesNewJeep has a spectacular aura about
I actually assumed this was a feature when we bought the Jeep. I was very surprised that it did not have the opening rear hatch window. Would like to see a mod on this/!

"Lucy"-All-Terrain, all-weather, AWD, 18" of clearance, can jump for more clearance up to 3.5', amphibious, runs on dog food, protects family. More capable than my Patriot?

The new budget-"It's a good deal, but some poor people remain oddly unf*cked"-Jon Stewart
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Ride: 2010 Patriot FDI 4x4 CVT with Mopar Strut tower br
osimj is on a distinguished road
We should all be happy that the Patriots dont have windows that open in the rear hatch, Especially with water leak problems they already have.
LET ME EXPLAIN: My wife has a 2008 Jeep LIBERTY, they have the window in the rear hatch that opens and it has leaked since we bought it new. The dealer said it was a known problem and the window seal has been replaced twice, ( the second seal was even a revised seal made by chrysler to fix the problem ) and the window was adjusted also, it still leaks, very slowly, but it still leaks. Not only do we have the leak problem, but they also scratched the back glass in several places while working on it, and they will not replace it because they say they did not do it. My wife wants me to silicon it shut.
So Take It From Me, Be Happy You Have A Fixed Window In The Hatch Of Your Patriot.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osimj View Post
We should all be happy that the Patriots dont have windows that open in the rear hatch, Especially with water leak problems they already have.
LET ME EXPLAIN: My wife has a 2008 Jeep LIBERTY, they have the window in the rear hatch that opens and it has leaked since we bought it new. The dealer said it was a known problem and the window seal has been replaced twice, ( the second seal was even a revised seal made by chrysler to fix the problem ) and the window was adjusted also, it still leaks, very slowly, but it still leaks. Not only do we have the leak problem, but they also scratched the back glass in several places while working on it, and they will not replace it because they say they did not do it. My wife wants me to silicon it shut.
So Take It From Me, Be Happy You Have A Fixed Window In The Hatch Of Your Patriot.
All good points...but then how about all those Ford Explorers, Escapes, etc. that don't have this problem? Can't Chrysler get it right? Hire a Ford guy off the line and see what they can do--these leaks--I don't have any-YET--are getting rediculous!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Ride: 2009 Patriot Limited
trumpetwasher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by osimj View Post
I had a 2005 Liberty, and it never leaked.
2009 Jeep Patriot Limited silver. MOPAR rear deflector, Bugflector II front deflector, Weathertech window deflectors, MOPAR mud flaps, chrome grille insert, Proclip Tomtom mount, Fumoto F-106 Oil Drain Valve
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM

Ride: 07 Patriot
Tim is on a distinguished road
my dad has had an 07 commander since new and still no leaks or any other issues with his rear hatch..... come to think of it instead of taking parts off a different make it may be easier to retro fit liberty or commander parts to a riot for the glass hatch they are similar in size and shape if im not mistaken.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot 4x4 FDII CVT2L
TalaJeep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetwasher View Post
I had a 2005 Liberty, and it never leaked.
I had a 2002 Liberty. In 9 years, it never leaked.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Ride: 2010 Patriot FDI 4x4 CVT with Mopar Strut tower br
osimj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetwasher
I had a 2005 Liberty, and it never leaked

The 2008 Model Liberty is the first year for the new model, the back hatch and window are different then the 2005, and I am glade yours does not leak.
I guess what I am saying is it looks like Chrysler was not putting enough money into their R & D ( Due to their lack of funds, That almost put them into Bankruptcy) for the last models that were put to market, so this has left some of us with repeat problems in our vehicles. Hopefully Fiat can fix these issues and make the next models even better.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Ride: 2011 Jeep wrangler, 2011 Pat north edtion
kojack is on a distinguished road
I wish my pat had this as well....makes loading stuff in much easier...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a glorious beacon of lightdixiedawg is a glorious beacon of light
Personally, I think it;s easier to load/unload without that opening window. With the window you have to lift everything higher, and then bend in further, not very ergonomic.

Groceries I just put in the back through the rear doors, as my rear seats are always folded down.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Life Long Jeeper

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport "Sahara Edition" 4x4 CVT
mrg455 will become famous soon enough
my 99 grand cherokee had this too (never leaked in 12 yrs), i wonder if the hardware from that can be retro-fitted to the pat?
Alpine double din dvd, 200w Kicker 4 channel amp, CDT 6x9's in the corners, Viper Alarm/Remote start, Black Shorty Antenna, Patriot Rear Insert, Mud Flaps, Dog Cargo Netting, Husky cargo liner and my favorite accessory...a safety 1st car seat for jr!

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”~John Wayne
Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Ride: 2011 Jeep wrangler, 2011 Pat north edtion
kojack is on a distinguished road
no, you load up the first level, then close the tail gate, pop the window and load the rest without the lower part falling out. I have a suburban and this feature is great! you can stuff things in and around the lower level and not worry about it falling out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.