Jeep Patriot vs. Subaru Forester? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Ride: Dodge Caravan & Neon, Subaru Forester, Yamaha Tmax
gtrdave will become famous soon enough
Jeep Patriot vs. Subaru Forester?

Okay, my wife and I have narrowed down our new/used vehicle search to either an '07-'08 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 or a '05-'08 Subaru Forester X or XS.

My wife is pretty much settled on the Jeep, but I have my reservations (cvt performance, water leaks, overall uncertainty w/ the relatively new platform) and I'm not ready to plunk down $15k on a potential unsure thing.

That said, finding a Forester that is NOT in some hideous exterior metallic puke gold w/ camel-colored interior seems like an exercise in futility...but you can't knock the reputation of the Subie. Aside from random head gasket failure, they seem to go for hundreds of thousands of miles w/ routine maintenance.
Subaru owners that I've met have almost a cult-like attitude towards their vehicles and it reminds me of Apple computer users...like myself.

So, do any of the Pat owners here have any experience with Subies?
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 PM

Ride: '12 Wrangler Sport
helo75 is on a distinguished road
I have owed 2 Patriots ('07 sport 4x4 & '10 latitude 4x4) and have never even heard of water leaks, nor myself had any other issues so to speak. The CVT does get some getting use to, but not in a bad way. The platform itself is stable. Just remember you are getting JEEP and you'll be fine. Its the only way to go.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helo75 View Post
Just remember you are getting JEEP and you'll be fine. Its the only way to go.
Actually, the Patriot is a left-over chassis from the old DaimlerChrysler days, back when there was a semblance of a relationship with Mitsubishi, so it's hardly a Jeep other than in name because it's also a Dodge Caliber and very similar to a Mitsubishi Lancer.
Come 2012, if the Patriot name even survives, it will be a Fiat underneath w/ a Jeep badge on it.
But this is all beside the point...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Ride: 07 Lifted FDII North; 81 Westy
heckler is a jewel in the rough
my buddy with a Forester chickened out on a snowy little parking area on the side of the road at the top of our local mountain. A 2wd was putting chains on to get out of the lot, and the Suby has summer tires.

I would not have hesitated to go in with the Patriot on factory Goodyear SRA tires.

I'm not saying the Suby would not have made it in and out of the lot - it may also be chicken little driver skillz.
Project Abyss - 07 FDII North, RRO lift, 16X8 Soft 8 with 235/70-16 Grabber AT's, Roof Basket, Procomp 55 roof lights, dash tweeters, 2" hitch, North Shore Rack, K&N drop-in, Hi-lift, Procomp 55 driving lights
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckler View Post
my buddy with a Forester chickened out on a snowy little parking area on the side of the road at the top of our local mountain. A 2wd was putting chains on to get out of the lot, and the Suby has summer tires.

I would not have hesitated to go in with the Patriot on factory Goodyear SRA tires.

I'm not saying the Suby would not have made it in and out of the lot - it may also be chicken little driver skillz.
Three of my neighbors have Subies (Outback, Legacy wagon and Legacy sedan) and they all get up out of our steep hill in the snow w/ no problems. So does the guy with the Durango 4x4.
Then there's our other neighbor w/ a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...sat there spinning the rear wheels in the snow until he was finally instructed to shift into 4wd mode (more money than brains, I guess...).

The Patriot that we're looking at has brand new SR-As on it, so that is a plus.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4X4, fully loaded
Guitar Dude 33 is on a distinguished road
I was in a similar spot a few months back. Looking between the Patriot and the Forester in the $15k or less range. No Foresters felt right, and i wasn't a fan of their AWD. Ended up getting an 08 FD1 patriot, and haven't regretted it. The patriot can handle anything i throw at it, and it feels secure while doing it.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Ride: 2007 Patriot Bright Silver Metal
BWheeler is on a distinguished road
I'm not being biased but I guess the PAT edges the Subaru forester when it comes to over all performance...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a glorious beacon of lightdixiedawg is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think my dog box would fit in the subies. I doubt I could load one of them up with as much stuff as I haul every weekend.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWheeler View Post
I'm not being biased but I guess the PAT edges the Subaru forester when it comes to over all performance...
I'd have to compare side-by-side road test specs to be sure, but the overall numbers on paper are not too far apart. Same goes for the safety ratings and random consumer evaluations that I've seen, which makes the decision more difficult as neither rises above the other.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
JamesNewJeep has a spectacular aura about
I do not have experience owning one, but I am aware that they are very dependable. I really contemplating getting an Impreza before we bought our Jeep, but it was just too small. However, if I could afford an STI now, I might buy one. I also like the new Legacy. The water leak issue is non-existent in the newer models and was only on sunroof equipped Pats(I believe) so don't get a sunroof.

But for $15k, I am guessing you are looking at FWD only or used? This would be a disadvantage compared to the Subie, which is AWD. If you are looking at used, you can get a Patriot for cheaper, but try for a lower mileage 2009, 2010 so you can get the full advantage of the remaining warranty.

As for warranties, Subaru only offers 3/36k with the vehicle. Extended warranties are available, but Im sure they are $$$ like all extended warranties.

"Lucy"-All-Terrain, all-weather, AWD, 18" of clearance, can jump for more clearance up to 3.5', amphibious, runs on dog food, protects family. More capable than my Patriot?

The new budget-"It's a good deal, but some poor people remain oddly unf*cked"-Jon Stewart
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNewJeep View Post
I do not have experience owning one, but I am aware that they are very dependable. I really contemplating getting an Impreza before we bought our Jeep, but it was just too small. However, if I could afford an STI now, I might buy one. I also like the new Legacy. The water leak issue is non-existent in the newer models and was only on sunroof equipped Pats(I believe) so don't get a sunroof.

But for $15k, I am guessing you are looking at FWD only or used? This would be a disadvantage compared to the Subie, which is AWD. If you are looking at used, you can get a Patriot for cheaper, but try for a lower mileage 2009, 2010 so you can get the full advantage of the remaining warranty.

As for warranties, Subaru only offers 3/36k with the vehicle. Extended warranties are available, but Im sure they are $$$ like all extended warranties.
We're looking strictly used and @ $15k we're looking at only the years I mentioned in the first post.
AWD/4x4 is a must.
Warranty is not an issue as we'll be purchasing an aftermarket 3/36 warranty through AAA.
And just last eve an old friend contacted me through Facebook and mentioned that they might be selling their '07 Patriot 4x4 FDI w/ ~ 40k miles on it.
Price seems good, options seem good (no sunroof) and he's sending me pics later today.

Last edited by gtrdave; 02-23-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
sube is not a 4x4
just awd,
during one of our snow storms,
i watched a sube spin 2 tires, 4x4 would spin all 4,
i watched in amusement for about 15-20 minutes as i wiped 6" of snow off the pat, enjoyed my cup of coffee, and drove out of a spot that had twice as much snow as the sube,
i pulled out without even a hiccup,
Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
sube is not a 4x4
just awd,
during one of our snow storms,
i watched a sube spin 2 tires, 4x4 would spin all 4,
i watched in amusement for about 15-20 minutes as i wiped 6" of snow off the pat, enjoyed my cup of coffee, and drove out of a spot that had twice as much snow as the sube,
i pulled out without even a hiccup,
You may have missed when I wrote that 3 of our neighbors have Subarus.
All of them have no problem getting out of our snowed-in cul de sac which is nothing but uphill when you leave any of our driveways.

The FDI system in the Patriot (the ones I'm looking at) is FWD until the front loses traction, then it's RWD, hence the term "active AWD". FDI also has the advantage of 4 wheel lock mode or real 4x4 @ low speeds only, per the video:
http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_syste...freedom_drive/

Subaru Symmetrical AWD is not a "spin 2 tires" system. I'm not doubting what you experienced (could have been more ice than anything), but I am saying that my experience has been much different and jives with what is actually engineered into the vehicles:
http://www.subaru.com/engineering/al...different.html
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot Latitude, FDI, CVT, 17" Wheel Package
FreeWillie will become famous soon enough
I just purchased a '11 Patriot 10 days ago. I too had narrowed down the choice to a Forrester or the Patriot. I scheduled a side-by-side test drive of the two vehicles. Fortunately (?) we had 3 major snow storms that dumped 60"+ in a 15 day period. I got to test both vehicles side-by-side on snow covered roads, parking lots and an open field. It was the Patriot hands down. There were areas where I struggled to maintain traction with the Forrester. The Patriot didn't so much as bat an eye in the same conditions. Both salesmen had to change their trousers after the test drive though
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWillie View Post
I just purchased a '11 Patriot 10 days ago. I too had narrowed down the choice to a Forrester or the Patriot. I scheduled a side-by-side test drive of the two vehicles. Fortunately (?) we had 3 major snow storms that dumped 60"+ in a 15 day period. I got to test both vehicles side-by-side on snow covered roads, parking lots and an open field. It was the Patriot hands down. There were areas where I struggled to maintain traction with the Forrester. The Patriot didn't so much as bat an eye in the same conditions. Both salesmen had to change their trousers after the test drive though
This is good to know, thanks, although as I think someone said earlier, the all-season tires standard on a Forester are at a disadvantage to the Goodyear SR-A tires on the Jeep.
Tirerack.com reviews confirm this as the Subies OEM tires are rated lower than the Jeeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.